Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caniac Nation

Reaction score
A simple prompt that allows a user to acknowledge data roaming would be sufficient. Problem solved.

a simple "understand what the service you have, includes" would be sufficient.

I have no issues understanding that when I'm out of the nation, my phone goes off...

Where would a user find that information? Found within the contract fine print I signed?

No need to be a horse's arse on the forum.:) Just a discussion.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
As other people have already mentioned, I make far more than minimum wage. Customer Service reps with Verizon Wireless have to have a minimum of an associates degree or one year customer service experience just to get hired, then we go through several months of training. Why? In order to effectively deal with unreasonable people, insane people, angry people, people who can barely speak English, and people who think, since VZW is a multi billion dollar company, that somehow, we have unlimited money to give away when people fail to take personal responsibility for their actions (or inaction).

Thanks. Your reading comprehension skills are little lacking though. I was using sarcasm in the 1st post and clarified in my next post that I understand you make more than minimum wage. You also didn't answer my very basic question. Do you have the power to remove charges without a supervisor's approval?

I understand my contract. I was speaking in terms of the general public. If this type of thing is happening to enough people that the FCC is looking at making changes than obviously something is wrong. Not everyone has a fancy associates degree like you. Some people need things explained more clearly. I understand if you have trouble grasping the concept that there is a world outside of YOU.

again, if a person has that big of an issue understanding contracts, maybe a prepaid is more to their mental abilities.

LOL. Maybe so, but Verizon obviously doesn't feel this way. They will push these data plans on every person they can. If they clearly explained how these data plans work (ie, they still use data even when you aren't using the phone) maybe they would have less headaches to deal with on the back end.

Anyway, it's been fun but I think we will have to agree to disagree at this point.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
In a way, I do feel sorry for you. As a Customer Service Rep with Verizon, I deal with this every day.

So do you have the power to remove any charges you want without any higher level approval? That's a lot of power for a "minimum wage employee". mcatdtDroid's words not mine.

As other people have already mentioned, I make far more than minimum wage. Customer Service reps with Verizon Wireless have to have a minimum of an associates degree or one year customer service experience just to get hired, then we go through several months of training. Why? In order to effectively deal with unreasonable people, insane people, angry people, people who can barely speak English, and people who think, since VZW is a multi billion dollar company, that somehow, we have unlimited money to give away when people fail to take personal responsibility for their actions (or inaction).

I think Verizon is over paying you. After "several months of training" you still believe you have to deal with "unreasonable, insane, angry etc etc people", you did not learn very much in your "training". You are dealing with the people spending their hard earned money with Verizon and paying your salary. Until you understand that, you should do yourself and Verizon a favor and get out of customer service. The only problem is I don't think Verizon has a customer dis-service position for you. It is people like you who give Verizon a bad name.

Caniac Nation

Reaction score
A simple prompt that allows a user to acknowledge data roaming would be sufficient. Problem solved.

No, it obviously works fine buried in the small print of a Willy Wonka like contract.

I have to agree. I'll admit that this Droid is my first smartphone. My understanding is that Verizon phones are not usable outside the US, so why would I think my data would continue to pull while I'm abroad?

carbonnoid

Reaction score
So do you have the power to remove any charges you want without any higher level approval? That's a lot of power for a "minimum wage employee". mcatdtDroid's words not mine.

Thanks. Your reading comprehension skills are little lacking though. I was using sarcasm in the 1st post and clarified in my next post that I understand you make more than minimum wage. You also didn't answer my very basic question. Do you have the power to remove charges without a supervisor's approval?

I understand my contract. I was speaking in terms of the general public. If this type of thing is happening to enough people that the FCC is looking at making changes than obviously something is wrong. Not everyone has a fancy associates degree like you. Some people need things explained more clearly. I understand if you have trouble grasping the concept that there is a world outside of YOU.

EXACTLY. IF you cant undstand something, maybe a prepaid is for you. Your insulting your own intelligence if you cant navigate a site, log in once every few days, or call up. Fancy? 2 year degrees are fancy now?

Wow. I am pretty angry Verizon gave back this guys money, because now because of him, the fees will be passed onto all of the customers more. Thanks

You run to the FCC like its your father, over regulation is a horrible thing. I can understand if they just hid the fee, but its 2 clicks away on the site, its a phone call away, its a username and password. Can you imagine if everyone said screw it, forgive me? Hey look ummm i signed this contract with a vari rate, umm rates are to high, can you give me a lower rate because i wanted money out of my house and i didnt want to pay for it? ummm i own a 2007 car, i really didnt want it, i want a 2010, so umm can u forgive all the fees because you know, you guys make so much money, and im such a small thing? Its sad people think like this, and its sad that people want to free load, and its even more sad that people feel entitled to get away with it. America is becoming exactly like Greece.

carbonnoid

Reaction score

No, it obviously works fine buried in the small print of a Willy Wonka like contract.

I have to agree. I'll admit that this Droid is my first smartphone. My understanding is that Verizon phones are not usable outside the US, so why would I think my data would continue to pull while I'm abroad?

Roaming? its in the settings to enable that by the way.

Caniac Nation

Reaction score

Roaming? its in the settings to enable that by the way.

But is roaming within the US different than roaming outside the US? I want my phone to roam on the US home system (i.e. where my phone works too and there are no extra charges) but don't want it to roam where the phone is inoperable and I'll also be charged out the wazoo.

vireya

Reaction score
re Verizon charges

Gday all,

When I first got my Palm Treo, someone told me that I could get stock quotes. I tried it and then turned off the phone.

Awhile later, I got my phone bill for over $1600!

Seems that when I turned the phone off, I did not turn the program off and it kept looking for emails

So that charge was for extra minutes used.

I fought with them for 4 months. Gave all the reps the story how I have house phone, internet and wireless all with Verizon, and for many years etc

After 4 mos of trying they finally gave me a credit

a credit of $50

They just do NOT care, so save yourself the trouble. Either suck it up and continue with them, as I did, or switch.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Why are all you guys so against making the information more easily available. There is no downside that I can see. That is my main point in this ridiculous argument. What is wrong with having sales reps explain things more clearly when a user signs a contract?

@carbonoid in reference to my use of "fancy". Once again my saracasm is missed. If you can't recognize obvious sarcastic remarks maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you. See what I did there? Eh?

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

again, if a person has that big of an issue understanding contracts, maybe a prepaid is more to their mental abilities.

LOL. Maybe so, but Verizon obviously doesn't feel this way. They will push these data plans on every person they can. If they clearly explained how these data plans work (ie, they still use data even when you aren't using the phone) maybe they would have less headaches to deal with on the back end.

Anyway, it's been fun but I think we will have to agree to disagree at this point.

so... a used car salesman has never sold a car to a person who couldn't afford that car? Verizon is not your financial or legal advisor. They aren't forcing it on you, you sign the contract. if you want to make a habit of signing contracts you don't understand, so be it.... I choose to understand my rights and responsibilities....

this comes down to personal responsibility.... It's why we have credit scores.... some just don't understand it, and they are punished. It's not Walmart's job to tell you if you don't pay off the credit card you are using to buy that bigscreen TV, your credit will be hurt

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Why are all you guys so against making the information more easily available. There is no downside that I can see. That is my main point in this ridiculous argument. What is wrong with having sales reps explain things more clearly when a user signs a contract?

@carbonoid in reference to my use of "fancy". Once again my saracasm is missed. If you can't recognize obvious sarcastic remarks maybe an internet forum isn't the place for you. See what I did there? Eh?

maybe if you provided a small warning on each post warning us, (like you would have Verizon do)

Putting warnings on everything "you're roaming", "you're data is always on", you are texting too much", "you are talking to much" is akin to putting "don't tip the Coke machine, it could fall on you and kill you"

The stupidfication of society

J. Dub

Reaction score
...Says the Droid/Verizon employee fan boy.

Did you miss the original post? I accept the fact that there must have been something pulling data. However, my MOM was not aware. So, as a company who is making strides to take care of their customers, I believe that Verizon should be able to tell what kind of data was being used and make concessions. If not, I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and move to a different carrier. Did you want one of my Eris phones to add to your shrine? Make me an offer.

You must be kidding.?.?

J. Dub

Reaction score

maybe if you provided a small warning on each post warning us, (like you would have Verizon do)

Putting warnings on everything "you're roaming", "you're data is always on", you are texting too much", "you are talking to much" is akin to putting "don't tip the Coke machine, it could fall on you and kill you"

The stupidfication of society

O yea kinda like Windows Vista.... Wait, do not want.

carbonnoid

Reaction score

I think Verizon is over paying you. After "several months of training" you still believe you have to deal with "unreasonable, insane, angry etc etc people", you did not learn very much in your "training". You are dealing with the people spending their hard earned money with Verizon and paying your salary. Until you understand that, you should do yourself and Verizon a favor and get out of customer service. The only problem is I don't think Verizon has a customer dis-service position for you. It is people like you who give Verizon a bad name.

Once again, you feel entitled for some reason, I deal with people all day. Verizon is offering you a serivce if you dont like it, there are many other carriers. You see it as Verizon owes you the customer something. Just like the government owed the greek citizens something. Maybe you should get your head out of your @$$ and realize the world doesnt revolve around you. There are many unreasonable angry people in the world, your probly one of them, that think no one can touch you, and your always right. Comments like that really bother me.

carbonnoid

Reaction score
Gday all,

When I first got my Palm Treo, someone told me that I could get stock quotes. I tried it and then turned off the phone.

Awhile later, I got my phone bill for over $1600!

Seems that when I turned the phone off, I did not turn the program off and it kept looking for emails

So that charge was for extra minutes used.

I fought with them for 4 months. Gave all the reps the story how I have house phone, internet and wireless all with Verizon, and for many years etc

After 4 mos of trying they finally gave me a credit

a credit of $50

They just do NOT care, so save yourself the trouble. Either suck it up and continue with them, as I did, or switch.

its not that they don't care, they provided you with a service, why does everyone have a problem understanding this. Because of iresponsiblity they should let things slide? I dont get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.