Gmail Sync

parkschr

Reaction score
Noobie here.

ok. is there a way to touch the gmail icon on the screen and it tell me that i have new mail. it doesn't unless i push menu and refresh.

I do not want it to push all of the time. just when i open gmail.

is this possible?

Are there only two options? 1. Push all the time - 2. hit menu and refresh

Thanks,
Chris

zMd113

Reaction score
Well new emails show up in you notification bar on the top of the screen. When you touch the Gmail icon it should either jump straight to the new email or show you the entire inbox, depends on what your last action was in your inbox. Read emails being grayed out and new emails show in white. You shouldn't have to refresh anything.

OP
parkschr

parkschr

Reaction score
Well new emails show up in you notification bar on the top of the screen. When you touch the Gmail icon it should either jump straight to the new email or show you the entire inbox, depends on what your last action was in your inbox. Read emails being grayed out and new emails show in white. You shouldn't have to refresh anything.

Does it only show up in the notification bar if you have it set to auto sync?

If I set it up for that, it will show up. But I don't want it pushing all the time looking for a new email.

zMd113

Reaction score
Where is this auto sync your talking about? I checked the Gmail app settings and there is no auto sync option, it should always be connected to the internet for constant info.

OP
parkschr

parkschr

Reaction score
Where is this auto sync your talking about? I checked the Gmail app settings and there is no auto sync option, it should always be connected to the internet for constant info.

from home screen: menu-settings-accounts and sync-Auto sync.

If I check the auto-sync button, my phone will beep in the middle of the night telling me I have new email. I don't want the phone to constantly be looking for mail. I only want it to sync when I touch the icon.

I want to know if I can touch the gmail icon and get mail at the second

zMd113

Reaction score
Oh now I see what you're talking about, I don't think it's possible to do what your asking. There may be an app for that but I doubt it. I usually just turn off my phone at night, unless I'm using it as an alarm clock then I just turn down the ringer volume so I don't here the notifications.

Also why don't you want your phone to be constantly connected?

OP
parkschr

parkschr

Reaction score
Oh now I see what you're talking about, I don't think it's possible to do what your asking. There may be an app for that but I doubt it. I usually just turn off my phone at night, unless I'm using it as an alarm clock then I just turn down the ringer volume so I don't here the notifications.

Thanks for all of your help. Enjoy your evening.