Gmail/Outlook Suggestions Requested

poz3614

Reaction score
I prefer MS Outlook over Gmail to access my gmail and hotmail at home. I also prefer using the Outlook calendar to setup appointments. Trouble is I'm getting duplicate emails in my Droid email app, one from hotmail and one from gmail. Also, the appointments that I enter in my Outlook calendar do not sync to my google calendar, so they do not show up on my phone.

If I were to start from scratch, what is the best way to setup my email and calendar accounts. Thanks.

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I prefer MS Outlook over Gmail to access my gmail and hotmail at home. I also prefer using the Outlook calendar to setup appointments. Trouble is I'm getting duplicate emails in my Droid email app, one from hotmail and one from gmail. Also, the appointments that I enter in my Outlook calendar do not sync to my google calendar, so they do not show up on my phone.

If I were to start from scratch, what is the best way to setup my email and calendar accounts. Thanks.

First of all, it sounds like you should go into SETTINGS and then ACCOUNTS & SYNC. Then check which things are syncing with your accounts. I'm not sure I understand exactly how your email is setup so I can't get any more detailed.

Also, Google does have an Outlook calendar syncing app.

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

The only problem is that it's only compatible with Microsoft Outlook versions 2003 and 2007, and operating systems Windows XP and Windows Vista. Not 64 bit either. Worth trying out if you fit that criteria though.

solar

Reaction score
The Google sync works well on my Windows 7 64bit box i've got running. Office program is still 32bit though.

OP
P

poz3614

Reaction score
Thanks Demoralize. Now I need to remove gmail from my droid email app to keep it separated from hotmail. I cannot find a way to do that.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trouble is I'm getting duplicate emails in my Droid email app, one from hotmail and one from gmail.
The duplicates aren't from the same account but from gmail and Hotmail?

Thanks Demoralize. Now I need to remove gmail from my droid email app to keep it separated from hotmail. I cannot find a way to do that.
Which email app are you using? There's a gmail app that should only work with gmail. If you set up Hotmail with the Email app then they should be separate. You'd remove an email account from the Email app by going into the app, accessing the menu and choosing Accounts.

OP
P

poz3614

Reaction score
Trouble is I'm getting duplicate emails in my Droid email app, one from hotmail and one from gmail.
The duplicates aren't from the same account but from gmail and Hotmail?
Not from same account. One from gmail and one from hotmail. I corrected that problem however.

Which email app are you using? There's a gmail app that should only work with gmail. If you set up Hotmail with the Email app then they should be separate. You'd remove an email account from the Email app by going into the app, accessing the menu and choosing Accounts.
Phone has two "email" apps. One titled "Email" one titled "Gmail". I want to use the Email app for just my hotmail account, but presently it also includes my gmail acct. How do I remove the gmail acct from the "Email" app?

solar

Reaction score
So you have 2 mail accounts setup within the "email" program? One acct with your hotmail settings and one acct with your gmail settings? If thats the case, you just have to open "Email" program ---->click the settings hardbutton ---->click accounts ---->long press on the gmail account-----> cick remove. Then the only acct in there would be the hotmail acct.

If you're gmail is being forwarded to yout hotmail acct or vice versa, you will have to chane those settings from the web interface for whichever program is doing the forwarding.

OP
P

poz3614

Reaction score
Thanks Solar. I got rid of gmail from my email app, but the steps are a little different on my phone. I opened the email program where both accts appear. The hardbutton does not have a settings selection. What I did was long press on the gmail acct and a list of selections came up, one of which was to remove the program. So now my email app only includes hotmail and the gmail app only includes the gmail.

solar

Reaction score
Thanks Solar. I got rid of gmail from my email app, but the steps are a little different on my phone. I opened the email program where both accts appear. The hardbutton does not have a settings selection. What I did was long press on the gmail acct and a list of selections came up, one of which was to remove the program. So now my email app only includes hotmail and the gmail app only includes the gmail.

Yeah, that was the right way. The hard touch plate next to the back hard touch plate. I forget what its called, settings or whatever the equivelant to a "right-click" would be. :)

Is it working they way you wanted now?

OP
P

poz3614

Reaction score
Yeah, that was the right way. The hard touch plate next to the back hard touch plate. I forget what its called, settings or whatever the equivelant to a "right-click" would be. :)

Is it working they way you wanted now?[/QUOTE]

It's working correctly now, but let me clarify something you wrote for others that may read this thread. When you open the email app (soft touch) then hard touch the second from the left button, an "accounts settings" selection will come up, but soft touching that does not give you a "remove" selection. You have to "long touch" the account you want to remove, then a menu will come up that will allow you to delete the account.

solar

Reaction score

Is it working they way you wanted now?

It's working correctly now, but let me clarify something you wrote for others that may read this thread. When you open the email app (soft touch) then hard touch the second from the left button, an "accounts settings" selection will come up, but soft touching that does not give you a "remove" selection. You have to "long touch" the account you want to remove, then a menu will come up that will allow you to delete the account.[/QUOTE]

Cool, i'm glad that worked out for you.

You will need to hit the hard button because the program doesn't always automatically go to the accounts screen. Generally, it will take you to the email account you last used, in which case you would have to hit the hard key to access the options popup so you can see the "accounts" soft button. If however, you are already in that screen, then yes, you can skip that step and go right to long pressing on the account in question to remove it.