Gmail Opens Showing Old Email

mls21

Reaction score
When I click to open my gmail app, instead of opening into my inbox, or opening the last email I was looking at, it usually opens some random old email. Then every time I open it the old email will be the first thing that shows up until I restart the phone. Then it works ok for a little while, but eventually it "picks" some random email thread and will always open in that one. Anyone else have this issue? Know how I can get it to stop?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I click to open my gmail app, instead of opening into my inbox, or opening the last email I was looking at, it usually opens some random old email. Then every time I open it the old email will be the first thing that shows up until I restart the phone. Then it works ok for a little while, but eventually it "picks" some random email thread and will always open in that one. Anyone else have this issue? Know how I can get it to stop?

Let me guess. You get a notification of an email and you check it on your notification window. Are you then deleting the email?

FrostMan

Reaction score

Rooted or NonRooted?

And how are you exiting the GMail app, by clicking the home button or back button? I would suggest always using the back button to exit out of certain apps instead of the home button to close them properly.

OP
M

mls21

Reaction score
To answer questions:

No, this is happening when I click on the gmail icon, not the notification.

I am non-rooted.

But I normally hit the home button to exit out of Gmail. Hitting the back button, don't you have to hit it a few times to get out (basically, hit it from the email you are inside of to return to inbox, then again to exit)?

I'd understand if I was in an email, hit home, then hit gmail and returned to the same email. But it will return to an email I opened days or a week or two before. Somehow this old email gets stored somewhere, and always loads no matter what screen/email I was last using in gmail.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To answer questions:

No, this is happening when I click on the gmail icon, not the notification.

I am non-rooted.

But I normally hit the home button to exit out of Gmail. Hitting the back button, don't you have to hit it a few times to get out (basically, hit it from the email you are inside of to return to inbox, then again to exit)?

I'd understand if I was in an email, hit home, then hit gmail and returned to the same email. But it will return to an email I opened days or a week or two before. Somehow this old email gets stored somewhere, and always loads no matter what screen/email I was last using in gmail.
Are you deleteing the email?

OP
M

mls21

Reaction score
No (I basically never delete), but a lot of times I'll archive it and it will still open up...

yamaredman

Reaction score
I get the same thing... but it's inconsistent.

I have changed my Gmail icon to a shortcut that goes directly to my "Inbox" label.

OP
M

mls21

Reaction score
I get the same thing... but it's inconsistent.

I have changed my Gmail icon to a shortcut that goes directly to my "Inbox" label.

I've tried that as well, but to me it still will open to an old email.

Also, using the label directly, or even a gmail widget, gives another weird behavior, at least to me. When you hold down home to bring up your last 6 running applications, Gmail is not one of them if I use the label/widget. But if I use the app directly it is. Not a huge deal, but I use that to switch apps a lot, and like having Gmail show up there.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if this will help, but I've found that clearing the cache associated with gmail and gmail storage has resolved several odd problems with gmail. My guess is that gmail sometimes encounters a corrupt (or simply unanticipated condition) with an email. When that occurs all sorts of unanticipated behavior can result.