Gmail not updating

anewday

Reaction score
For some reason, I have to manually do a refresh in gmail to check for new mail. This happened after I disabled notifications. I turned it back on today and it's still not checking like it should. Also, I deleted an email using the gmail app but that email still shows as unread on my home computer. :icon_eek:

faxman75

Reaction score
I haven't made any changes that I'm aware of and yesterday mine stopped all together. Today I have been getting them when making purchases from the app store notifying me of my google checkout payment. I don't have any explanation for not recieving notifications yesterday though. I'm stumped.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the clear data trick?

Settings > Applications > Manage applications > menu > filter > All > Gmail Storage > Clear data > OK

faxman75

Reaction score
I'm getting them today. I'm just talking about the gmail client itself and my direct gmail address. Whenever someone sends me a message to my gmail address I get notifications. For some reason yesterday it missed a few but today it seems back on track. I did just do the clear method you suggested as well. Thank you.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is some speculation that wifi is causing sync to break once in a while. Do you use wifi? Another idea is to go into gmail settings and turn up your sync days to all for your inbox. I'm not sure if either of these methods will help with the sporadic sync issues, but so far so good for me--one and a half weeks into my experiment.

K9 and the stock email app would also stop polling once in a while. That hasn't happened since I made the above changes (no wifi; all sync days). The theory is that when you leave an area while connected to wifi, the droid doesn't properly switch over to 3G or there is some authentication problem. Browsing the web will work, but sync is messed up.

I haven't tried it yet, but you might want to turn on wifi only when you are in range and turn it off when you are done instead of just not using wifi at all.

:icon_evil: Some people who've never had this problem probably think I'm crazy. I am not running ANY non-stock apps in the background and never used a task killer. Perhaps this problem only occurs with certain wifi routers. Perhaps it has to do with going in and out of more than one wifi zone. I've been a software developer for over 10 years, so spare your "user error" comments unless you have something productive to add. :icon_evil:

OP
A

anewday

Reaction score

elephant

Reaction score
Have you tried the clear data trick?

Settings > Applications > Manage applications > menu > filter > All > Gmail Storage > Clear data > OK

Will this delete my email? And do I want to clear the cache or the data? Also I do not have an app called "Gmail Storage" just one called Gmail.

My email has not been updating for a month. I am tired of doing it manually.

I know this thread is old but is seems to have some potential to fix my problem - unlike a bunch of other threads I found.