Gmail push not working properly?

Private-Cowboy

Reaction score
Hi there,

just wanna ask if anyone of you also has issues with Gmail push. Since yesterday it seems Gmail is not pushing mail to the device as quickly as I was used to and sometimes not at all.

I did not change anything on the device, I just don't get a notification about a new mail and even manual refresh in Gmail doesn't load the mail. I've to disable and reenable the sync to make the device suddendly notice "hey, there are new mails".

It seems to me the push mail service is somehow not working properly these days.

What have been your observations. Any tips would be welcome too.

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have several threads on this already. Occasionally, it would seem that people experience these lows that eventually work themselves out. Make sure that you are synching your labels for as long as possible (inbox, sync all) and that you don't have your gmail account setup in the default mail app too.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Hi there,

just wanna ask if anyone of you also has issues with Gmail push. Since yesterday it seems Gmail is not pushing mail to the device as quickly as I was used to and sometimes not at all.

I did not change anything on the device, I just don't get a notification about a new mail and even manual refresh in Gmail doesn't load the mail. I've to disable and reenable the sync to make the device suddendly notice "hey, there are new mails".

It seems to me the push mail service is somehow not working properly these days.

What have been your observations. Any tips would be welcome too.

I know it's probably a long shot, but do you have Auto-sync turned on under accounts & sync setting? I'm not sure why else you might be having this problem.

OP
P

Private-Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes it's turned on. When I turn it off and back on I get new emails. But it gets stuck somewhere down the road again as it seems.

I'll do a factory reset to be sure it's not something mis-set on my device. The obvious switches are all in the correct position. It also came out of nowhere yesterday with nothing changed, no apps installed and no switches flipped.

I just stopped working properly and I would guess it might be some kind of server issue on the Google side.

ggpike

Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday and I thought the issue was resolved. It turned out that one of the two test emails I sent that arrived in my inbox was not the one I just sent, but one I sent an hour and a half earlier. So the issue is still there.

MarkDF

Reaction score
I just stopped working properly and I would guess it might be some kind of server issue on the Google side.

I'll throw a "me too" in on this one. Hope it's fixed and that the increased traffic as more Droids make it out don't cause this to happen more and more often.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Don't know why, but when you do not seem to get your Gmail messages, go into Gmail, menu, view labels, all mail. Your new messages sometimes appear in all mail but not inbox even though they are labelled inbox. This is a bug and does not always do that. I suspect that if you do a reboot it will work correctly for a while.

toddegreene

Reaction score
There's definitely a Google issue here, not related to the Droid. For me, the problem started on Wednesday, I was expecting an email and didn't get it. I called the sender to ask if it was sent (should have checked first, but I was still trusting push), then manually checked and it was there, with a sent time of an hour earlier. Since then, my mail shows up anywhere from nearly immediate to hours later. I find myself manually checking the email now (out of paranoia). I'm sure Google will resolve the issue, but when?

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
For me, normal emails seem to come in immediately, but email notifications from Google Voice aren't pushing...anyone else have this or have any suggestions?

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
There's definitely a Google issue here, not related to the Droid. For me, the problem started on Wednesday, I was expecting an email and didn't get it. I called the sender to ask if it was sent (should have checked first, but I was still trusting push), then manually checked and it was there, with a sent time of an hour earlier. Since then, my mail shows up anywhere from nearly immediate to hours later. I find myself manually checking the email now (out of paranoia). I'm sure Google will resolve the issue, but when?

i agree, i highly doubt its a phone issue.. seems more like a sync issue..

i never had the latency with my BB.. which doesnt even use sync.. i wonder if i turn off sync with gmail it would just push as normal, im gonna try that.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
nope, no sync on gmail is a negative, not immediate like BB.. this is kinda ticking me off.. i am too paranoid.. i am constantly hitting refresh.. they need to address this.. this is pretty critical.

JamesX

Reaction score
I had this problem just now and the reason is not because of GMail but because somehow Gmail sync lost the connection.

When I went to my inbox on the bottom it says "Connection Error [Retry]" (or something similar).

I just click on "Retry" and the Mail is back to normal.

It could be unrelated to the Gmail push problem you guys are having though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of emails come through on "email" instead of Gmail. I have this set only to check once an hour.

Maybe something is wrong.:blink: