Gmail no longer sync-ing (solution)

Barristro

Reaction score
This past weekend, I stopped receiving email notifications. After looking into the problem, I noticed that my accounts were no longer set up to sync.

I searched around for a solution and found that several people in the past had this same problem with the following symptom; the check boxes to sync gmail, contacts, calendar, etc. no longer existed. The solution posted was to do a factory reset of the phone. That is the only solution that I could find.

I did the factory reset, and it solved the problem.

In re-customizing my phone, I noticed the REAL problem, which I share so that people don't have to do a reset.

1) Add Android Widget > Power Control
2) Turn on the second from right button (sync)
3) the check boxes will now appear under the Account for sync-ing
4) Then you can delete the widget from the screen if you want. (I like it, but others seem to hate it with a passion).

This is an embarrassingly easy solution. It is so simple that most people probably assume that you have already checked for this solution before complaining about the lack of sync.

Hopefully this saves someone out there from doing a factory reset.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, those little arrows in a circle on the power control widget need a label so people know what it does.

Also, if you don't want to use the widget go to phone settings > accounts & sync > Auto-sync > CHECKED

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
Yes, those little arrows in a circle on the power control widget need a label so people know what it does.

Also, if you don't want to use the widget go to phone settings > accounts & sync > Auto-sync > CHECKED
I don't think Droid-2 has "accounts & sync", just "accounts", which doesn't show the boxes without sync being turned on the way I described.

If there is another and simpler way, great. But my limited mind couldn't find it. ;)

nujackhustla

Reaction score
i went through the trouble of registering just so i could thank you for posting this. my exact problem. much appreciated.

fibermick

Reaction score
many thanks

I've been wandering all over the various droid forums and you have solved my problem. History--Droid 1, Dinc and now DX. I left the Dinc because of sense UI and the convoluted calendar situation. As an x-palm user I wanted the whole issue to be seamless. I remembered that it was on the D 1. (Give me a break on the memory part--I'm a 75 year old lady) I think it is ridiculous to have to have the power widget (it's ugly and I'm an artist) on a page but that is what works. I've just added an event to my phone and it appeared on my desktop--yeah. Maybe Froyo will fix this? I can only hope. But thanks very much.:icon_ banana:

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
Glad that I was able to help. I was going to register on other sites to post this solution, but I just don't feel like having even more accounts to keep track of.

Feel free to post this solution on other sites you have accounts for.

razingkane

Reaction score
Glad that I was able to help. I was going to register on other sites to post this solution, but I just don't feel like having even more accounts to keep track of.

Feel free to post this solution on other sites you have accounts for.

Nice.....thanks. As Droid 2 newbee I had this power widget up but accidentally deleted it. Then I realized had no idea how I got it in the 1st place.

johnsi02

Reaction score
Thanks much

That fix saved my sanity. And my phone. I was about to return this droid 2 because it couldn't even sync automatically like my old winmo phone could.

sorapp

Reaction score
This past weekend, I stopped receiving email notifications. After looking into the problem, I noticed that my accounts were no longer set up to sync.

I searched around for a solution and found that several people in the past had this same problem with the following symptom; the check boxes to sync gmail, contacts, calendar, etc. no longer existed. The solution posted was to do a factory reset of the phone. That is the only solution that I could find.

I did the factory reset, and it solved the problem.

In re-customizing my phone, I noticed the REAL problem, which I share so that people don't have to do a reset.

1) Add Android Widget > Power Control
2) Turn on the second from right button (sync)
3) the check boxes will now appear under the Account for sync-ing

This is an embarrassingly easy solution. It is so simple that most people probably assume that you have already checked for this solution before complaining about the lack of sync.

Hopefully this saves someone out there from doing a factory reset.

This was a terrific find. You will save a lot of people from unnecessary grief. It works perfectly on the Droid 2 and you can delete the widget after you turn the sync back on. A huge thank you.

fibermick

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me that I don't have that ugly black power widget on my screen to have it be operational. The sync is working and I can have my screen be the way I want it to be.

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
I really like the looks and usefulness of the power widget. But, since you guys don't like it on the phone, I edited the first post to reflect the option of deleting it afterward.:D

Aimers69

Reaction score
omg i hope that this works...i hated having to push my own information thru..and now i hope i get email and notifications in a timely manner...thank you!

aceq84

Reaction score
You saved me

I signed up for this forum just to thank you so much for your solution! Ever since I got this phone about a month ago I have had to sync manually on an hourly basis just to get my email and sync my calendar. I brought my phone to Verizon and the tech guy had it for over an hour trying every little thing, to no avail. He said there was a problem on Google's side and they would have an update soon. Two weeks later, nothing. I figure, let me search online one more time to see if anyone else has found a solution before I give up and return the phone. VOILA! You saved me, my phone from the heel of my foot, and my sanity! Thank you! NO WHERE in the Droid 2 user manual that I downloaded from Verizon's website does that one little trick show up.

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
-Amanda

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bizarre...I wonder why this happens to some people...be interesting to understand why things get messed up in the first place.