Gmail no longer sync-ing (solution)

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
Bizarre...I wonder why this happens to some people...be interesting to understand why things get messed up in the first place.

Easy. I was messing with my phone after the first day's horrible battery life to turn off "useless features" (turn down the light, turn off wifi [no local hotspot], turn off GPS, turn off whatever those other buttons are just for good measure). Then, at some point, I cleaned up my screens and removed that widget. Since there is no way to turn synching on without that widget on the screen, there is no way to stumble upon the solution.

It's even more horrible since, apparently, older Droids have a way to turn it on without the widget. That makes it a problem that only first time owners of new Droids get.

Verizon should be mortified that one of their workers couldn't fix the problem on the prior poster's phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I appears the OP has found a solution for many of you. I'm not quite sure how you get in those situations, heck the first thing I did was delete the power control widget but I'm glad you all found your way back home. :)

Nice, helpful post OP. It's always good to see a solution post from time to time.

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
I appears the OP has found a solution for many of you. I'm not quite sure how you get in those situations, heck the first thing I did was delete the power control widget but I'm glad you all found your way back home. :)

Nice, helpful post OP. It's always good to see a solution post from time to time.

What do you mean you don't know how we get into this situation? I JUST explained it. :blink:

Anyway, I'm glad that I helped people with this issue. It's sad that my post on this site seems to be the only one describing the solution, but it thrills me each time someone tells me that I saved their phone.

dagactor

Reaction score
Then I will tell you...YOU SAVED ME! Thanks so much...I was literally about to do a factory reset.

tripletdad99

Reaction score
I had to register here, just so I could thank you for posting this! I called Verizon customer service... and was told I needed to reset to factory defaults... and was emailed the instructions to do so. Very glad this was posted so I could avoid that trouble. Thank you!

d2gwbbb

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you.....you saved me....thank you!

this past weekend, i stopped receiving email notifications. After looking into the problem, i noticed that my accounts were no longer set up to sync.

I searched around for a solution and found that several people in the past had this same problem with the following symptom; the check boxes to sync gmail, contacts, calendar, etc. No longer existed. The solution posted was to do a factory reset of the phone. That is the only solution that i could find.

I did the factory reset, and it solved the problem.

In re-customizing my phone, i noticed the real problem, which i share so that people don't have to do a reset.

1) add android widget > power control
2) turn on the second from right button (sync)
3) the check boxes will now appear under the account for sync-ing
4) then you can delete the widget from the screen if you want. (i like it, but others seem to hate it with a passion).

This is an embarrassingly easy solution. It is so simple that most people probably assume that you have already checked for this solution before complaining about the lack of sync.

Hopefully this saves someone out there from doing a factory reset.

Starchild23

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Seems to be working perfectly now. I remember playing w/ the power control widget too... I feel dumb.

This was driving me nuts!

-Star

Diane Clingerman

Reaction score
I also thank you! The Verizon guy had no idea why my gmail was no longer autosyncing nor did any of my techie colleagues at work. The only solution seemed to be factory reset. Luckily before that route I did some more digging and found this forum thread. My more techie friends were impressed I solved the probllem. Such a simple solution but no documentation in any official manual

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

geta2j

Reaction score
one might try putting the power control widget on one of the six side screens if one does not like it on the main screen.

Just my $.02

OP
B

Barristro

Reaction score
one might try putting the power control widget on one of the six side screens if one does not like it on the main screen.

Just my $.02

Pretty sure it is on a side screen when the phone is rebooted.

But that isn't the issue. Some people don't want to have that widget up at all. If someone has their phone filled with other widgets, they would have to remove a full line of them just to put this widget on the phone to turn sync back on. The fact that I find it useful and like it on my phone doesn't mean that other people should have to deal with it all the time.

The real issue is that this problem cannot be solved without having that widget on the phone, and THERE IS NO WAY to just stumble across the solution. Obviously, Motorola doesn't care about this issue, since they haven't sent out a memo to their tech people saying how to solve this problem. Instead, everyone gets told to do a factory reset.

Bluecrab56

Reaction score
WOW.....THANKS ! I have just spent every free moment for the last week, obsessing about why my calanders would not auto sync. Everywhere I read how people just turned on Auto-Sync.....NOT on a Droid 2 ! Really can't thank you enough barristro.

dancedroiddancedroid