Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The last ones I had were JPG images. All I get is a blue box with a question mark inside. There is now way to download or preview it. It happens all the time. Maybe it has something to do with forwarded emails. There's other post on here with the same issue. I'm hope the more we talk about it, maybe it will get resolved.

Could be forwards...could also be the way in which the picture is attached. [embedded into the e-mail as opposed to saved as an attachment], but I'm almost positive that it's worked both ways for me with an original e-mail. Can't say about forwards...I hate those things...

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you're getting blue boxes with question marks, the images are embedded into the email, which is not support by either email app on the phone. there are a few threads that cover this (search embedded images).

attached images will come across fine. embedded will not. i've suspected that google left this out to save space in emails.

an email with html tags to a hosted image will work, however, since they don't add to the size of the email.

the only way around viewing embedded images in emails is to view the email in the online version.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
if you're getting blue boxes with question marks, the images are embedded into the email, which is not support by either email app on the phone. there are a few threads that cover this (search embedded images).

attached images will come across fine. embedded will not. i've suspected that google left this out to save space in emails.

an email with html tags to a hosted image will work, however, since they don't add to the size of the email.

the only way around viewing embedded images in emails is to view the email in the online version.

You...are like...the Droid e-mail master...:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Yohimbe35

Reaction score
Thanks I will search that. I didn't know they were called embedded images. That's the only thing I miss about my old palm pre from sprint. I guess the pre had to have a positive to it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
there are probably some starred issues over on the google forum about this (in fact, i know there are, i just don't have links). it's kind of bogus, but i can understand the need to save space.

a better solution would have been for email storage to have existed on the SD card. or at least temporary attachment storage.

windstrings

Reaction score
A work-around is going to the gmail website and downloading the attachment off there; meaning it's still possible, but they make you work for it. *dumb*
:icon_eek:

OMG!... your right!.... I can use "attachemail" to send over 10meg files through gmail.. but when you receive them you can't even open or download them if they are .mp4 etc.. "even though I have meridian player that plays them fine".

there they sit in your gmail inbox, you can view and see its there... how big it is etc.. just can't get it!..... Crazy!!!!!!

I simply browsed to it with my dolphin broswer, when into my gmail account and to my inbox.. can download them fine there..... I have to change the name from "download.bin" to what the real file name is.... but it works perfect....

Super silly the gmail app cannot do this "or" send large files.... like I said the app "attachemail" sends them just fine through gmail... why can't gmail do it!....

Google are you listening???.... didn't think so! :icon_evil: