Giving phone to gf on her mom's plan. Easiest way to activate it?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
BACKGROUND: I just got my shiny new Note 4 & my girlfriend has decided to give my old s4 a try.
She's on her mom's plan, because we're grateful to let her pay for it as long as she's willing & able.

If she were on my account, I'd know how to go about this, but does anybody know the easiest way to get the phone activated? Is it just a matter of swapping sims? (if they're even compatible between the s3 & s4? Haven't gotten that far yet) Or do you still have to go through calling/etc?

If we have to call or go in, does anyone know what info we'd need from her mom? Also, is there any stipulation on activating a phone I just replaced? Obviously, I'm involved, so I'll be around to give any kind of permission. Just trying to get the facts straight.

When I was on t-mobile, all it took was swapping the cards if they were the same size. I joined Verizon before they started using sim cards though, & I'm pretty sure every phone I've had since then came with a new sim & I activated them online or by dialing *228 or 288 or whatever or they did it in-store for me.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. She'd like to make the switch tomorrow. The s3 is really driving her nuts lately.

Sent from my Note 4

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does she use Verizon too? If alls Verizon then just get a sim from a Verizon store and you can activate it online pretty easily.

on the move..

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, she's on Verizon, but we don't have access to her plan online. I think we might end up going to the store.

Sent from my Note 4

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can probably do it over the phone, but if the sim in the GS3 isn't the same kind used in the S4 then you'll need to go and get a new one anyway. I'd give them the phone and say "you take care of it", after all, its what we are overpaying for lol.

on the move..

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Turns out, she's pretty sure that she setup online access on her mom's account, so as long as the Sims match, we should be good to go. I'll investigate later.

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Turns out, she's pretty sure that she setup online access on her mom's account, so as long as the Sims match, we should be good to go. I'll investigate later.

Sent from my Note 4
Yep, just swap SIM to the new S4, and she should be good to go.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Just swap out the sims. I do it all the time at work (verizon). We're supposed to use our system but when there are lots of people in the store it's so much faster to just throw in the sim and go. It'll activate by just putting a sim associated with her number in the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
That's weird it was on my recent threads. Definitely awkward lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Haha must be!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus - 64 GIG (Space Grey) using Tapatalk (lifeisablog.com)