Given up on the Pro?

doug1624

Reaction score
I gave up on GB, not the phone. I changed back to Froyo about 2 weeks ago, and it has been a relief to say the least. The entire process took about 2 hours (using wifi, not 3G; downgrade then do the two updates to get to the level right before GB). The phone went and grabbed the GB update, so now I have to pick "install later" twice a day. It's not the best solution, but better than the alternative (on a non-rooted phone).

If you're more of a power email user, and came from a blackberry, it's really the only phone to have. However, it's not a blackberry, it's an android device, so consider the email drawbacks (or other things you don't like) replaced by a host of apps that have an overall better user interface and more pleasant phone experience. It took some getting used to, but it was well worth it.

Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
Ditto, regarding keyboard light & having to turn off/on screen to restore keyboard light.
So true about the "real" keyboard on the droid pro. That was a major plus for buying it.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

boomerang

Reaction score
I still love my pro. Thankfully the update errored and didn't install. I've since turned off OTA. I really want a DROID razr but wont upgrade bc im under verizons unlimited data plan and if I upgrade they will cap me.

doug1624

Reaction score
Can you share with us how you turned off OTA? Are you rooted?

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
* My question as well: How do you turn off OTA?

* Also, is there any way of reversing the last update?

SANhacker

Reaction score
I still love my pro. Thankfully the update errored and didn't install. I've since turned off OTA. I really want a DROID razr but wont upgrade bc im under verizons unlimited data plan and if I upgrade they will cap me.

I don't understand this. I just moved from the OG Droid to the RAZR and my plan still says unlimited data.

Astaroth

Reaction score
im under verizons unlimited data plan and if I upgrade they will cap me.

They won't. Verizon grandfathers your unlimited data plan in whenever you upgrade, if you originally got it. If you switch to a different data plan, however, you won't be able to go back to unlimited. So, as long as you have it, don't remove it, but you can upgrade your phone.

boomerang

Reaction score
They won't. Verizon grandfathers your unlimited data plan in whenever you upgrade, if you originally got it. If you switch to a different data plan, however, you won't be able to go back to unlimited. So, as long as you have it, don't remove it, but you can upgrade your phone.

This is GREAT news!!! Thanks for sharing.

boomerang

Reaction score
* My question as well: How do you turn off OTA?

* Also, is there any way of reversing the last update?

"rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.apk to .bak
rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.odex to .bak
rename /etc/security/otacerts.zip to .bak

when naming these don't replace the extension w/ .bak just append it to the end OK

Tested by going to settings->aboutphone->updates screen flickered (normal) no popup."

Got this from another user and it worked for me.

Last edited:

paradime313

Reaction score
I'm not giving up on the phone, mainly because (1) I don't want to pay full price for a different phone and (2) I really like having a keyboard.

With that said, if Blackberry EVER gets their act together and releases a legitimate smart phone with the power that a Droid does, I'd probably go back to them. But it's good for right now.

nanohead

Reaction score
I still like it mostly. The backlight issue is really annoying, but more than that, the fact that No Lock no longer works correctly in GB is really annoying. I HATE the dopey sliding screen lock with a passion, and with Froyo, I had it tweaked perfectly. I do like the keyboard quite a bit, although the random "Android Key" hits are dumb. Wish there was a bit of a dead zone between the keyboard and the android keys. The thing that is most enraging though is that Headphone jack breaks every 3 months and I have to get a refurb.

If they do another Pro like model, I would likely get it if things get fixed. Otherwise, I may do the Razr. I do like Android for sure, even though its a little rough around the edges still.

StingRay

Reaction score
The Pro still gives me what I originally got it for....physical keys and a fairly compact device...

I've been running the TBH Gingerbread update for several months without any problems...actually runs better now than it ever has...Installed the Widget Locker Ice Cream Sandwich theme for my lockscreen and my Pro looks and feels great!

Having said all that, I am at a point where I may be ready to go back to a full touchscreen device....I'm needing a larger screen now as I can't quite see some things on my phone like I used to ....the Droid Razr and the Samsung Nexus look amazing, but I'm not sure I want to tote anything that big around after having a nice compact phone like the Pro....

jhalsey205

Reaction score
The Pro still gives me what I originally got it for....physical keys and a fairly compact device...

I've been running the TBH Gingerbread update for several months without any problems...actually runs better now than it ever has...Installed the Widget Locker Ice Cream Sandwich theme for my lockscreen and my Pro looks and feels great!

Having said all that, I am at a point where I may be ready to go back to a full touchscreen device....I'm needing a larger screen now as I can't quite see some things on my phone like I used to ....the Droid Razr and the Samsung Nexus look amazing, but I'm not sure I want to tote anything that big around after having a nice compact phone like the Pro....

I'm in the same boat. CM7 has my pro running like a champ. Installed exDialer (MIUI inspired dialer) as well as installed ICS theme and boot animation. That said, I may be ready to make the jump to the slab form factor. I will likely give the Galaxy Nexus a try.

Last edited: