Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Say it did come to Moto D1 phones. For those of us who are rooted (I run basically a vanilla root, the basic 2.2 but... rooted.) Would a rooted version of it be developed that we would have to install like any other ROM? Given the dev community of this phone, I wouldn't be surprised, but still I'm wondering.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Since it's minor tweaks and an overhaul, yes.

can the D1 even handle this release ?

Since it's minor tweaks and an overhaul, yes.

OSX2000

Reaction score
[crosses fingers and prays for Ultimate Droid Gingerbread in the near future]

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason I think that on 12/6/09 2.0.1 was released. I could almost swear by it.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm getting all antsy with the waiting. I'm curious to see if we'll get more locked out, and if so how much.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
CK, do you still think the d1 non-rooted phones will see some form of it?

I don't think it will since Goodle put a 1Ghz processor speed requirement on Gingerbread.
Prove it. The guy who started that rumor was a Russian blogger and he was talking about "suggested" specs to lower the fragmentation rate. He even admitted it wasn't official. Google went on record as saying Gingerbread was NOT ruled out for the D1.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya that one is old news. Its really all up in the air right now.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There was a story a while back about a D1 running Gingerbread. If the D1 can run something like MIUI then I don't see any reason why someone can't modify a Gingerbread Android version to run on a Droid 1. I'm in the camp that doesn't think Motorola will bother releasing this update to a phone they no longer sell. At the same time the following item ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/102414-motorola-droid-still-king-hill.html ) makes me think that there are enough devs out there that someone will give us D1 owners some sort of Gingerbread crumbs. If there is some cool new feature Gingerbread includes, the D1 rooted phones may get it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have a sneaking suspicion FRG83D will be the end of the road for us. Its already being pushed to testers. We can't complain. We've been taken pretty good care of with all the updates.

The updates have to stop at some point and this just naturally feels like the end of the road.

Sent from my Droid

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I have a sneaking suspicion FRG83D will be the end of the road for us. Its already being pushed to testers. We can't complain. We've been taken pretty good care of with all the updates.

The updates have to stop at some point and this just naturally feels like the end of the road.

Sent from my Droid
That wouldn't surprise me at all, but there have been whispers and pictures of D1s running Gingerbread in some variant. We'll have to see. :)

2.3 sounds like another logical place for the updates to stop. But yes, that much work going into an EOL phone is a bit much. I'm still saying 40% chance, but that's an admittedly optimistic estimate. Call it 33.3% to 40%.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a little more optimistic about it than you are, CK, but since the SDK hasn't even dropped yet (unless I missed something), then even Motorola doesn't have the code to play with yet. We shall see -- there isn't another Dev phone with vanilla Android on it except the N1 yet. :) (Again, unless I missed something. ;))

I'm fairly certain that manufacturers have access to the google source before it is available to the public. :reddroid:

I would agree 100% on this point.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

I would hope the Droid gets gingerbread. Then eol

diverbelow

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

I would hope the Droid gets gingerbread. Then eol

I second this.

mjforte

Reaction score
I'm thinking there's a slight possibility the Droid gets Gingerbread. I mean, it was the best selling Android phone. If not, I'm not worried because the devs will take care of us rooted users.