Gingerbread is here?????

wdcspurs

Reaction score
New Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread build for Droid X reportedly is pushing over the air [Update: Verizon says no update yet] | Android Central

I came across this earlier and need some help with figuring out what to do. The above link leads to a download for the Gingerbread OS for my Droid X.

1)Is this an official Verizon Gignerbread build? It makes it seem like that. Am I safe with doing this manually or should I wait for the OTA update from Verizon?

2)Also, my Droid X is rooted. I have heard that when I update the OS, I lose the root. Is that true and anything I need to do before I manually update to Gingerbread because my phone is rooted.

3)The very last question is if I manually download this to my phone, What happens when Verizon pushes the OTA update? Will it still update on my phone or not touch it because of me doing it manually?

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
New Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread build for Droid X reportedly is pushing over the air [Update: Verizon says no update yet] | Android Central

I came across this earlier and need some help with figuring out what to do. The above link leads to a download for the Gingerbread OS for my Droid X.

1)Is this an official Verizon Gignerbread build? It makes it seem like that. Am I safe with doing this manually or should I wait for the OTA update from Verizon?

2)Also, my Droid X is rooted. I have heard that when I update the OS, I lose the root. Is that true and anything I need to do before I manually update to Gingerbread because my phone is rooted.

3)The very last question is if I manually download this to my phone, What happens when Verizon pushes the OTA update? Will it still update on my phone or not touch it because of me doing it manually?

This isn't official even though it is being pushed to some devices. Verizon would clearly say gb is rolling out but they deny that they released gb. If they are I don't see a reason for them lieing about it. You can manually do this and be fine and you can ota with no problems. Yes you will lose root you will have to flash sbf file to be stock then you manually install update. When it is officially released there will be more details as of now this isn't considered a ota. I would say this is more of a stable release then the leak. If you ask me I say wait till verizon officially says gb is out instead of downloading now and you will have to start the whole sbf process again.

Swyped from the best phone in verizon's line up

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score

This isn't official even though it is being pushed to some devices. Verizon would clearly say gb is rolling out but they deny that they released gb. If they are I don't see a reason for them lieing about it. You can manually do this and be fine and you can ota with no problems. Yes you will lose root you will have to flash sbf file to be stock then you manually install update. When it is officially released there will be more details as of now this isn't considered a ota. I would say this is more of a stable release then the leak. If you ask me I say wait till verizon officially says gb is out instead of downloading now and you will have to start the whole sbf process again.

Appreciate the reply. If I wait for the OTA, and my phone sits as it is now (rooted), will it just install as normal or do I need to be back to the stock to recieve the OTA? Also, when you say flash the sbf file to be stock, is that simply just unrooting my phone?

Droid annoymous

Reaction score

Appreciate the reply. If I wait for the OTA, and my phone sits as it is now (rooted), will it just install as normal or do I need to be back to the stock to recieve the OTA? Also, when you say flash the sbf file to be stock, is that simply just unrooting my phone?

Back to stock to receive update and this is confirmed to be a leak so I suggest wait till may for ota. And sbf well take your phone to stock everything meaning it will be just like a brand new phone.

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score

Back to stock to receive update and this is confirmed to be a leak so I suggest wait till may for ota. And sbf well take your phone to stock everything meaning it will be just like a brand new phone.

How do i get back to Stock? Remove the root?

reddobe

Reaction score
I thought it was coming out my old X was going to download it but it died and now I keep going and checking for updates and it says my phone id up to date.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Droid annoymous

Reaction score

How do i get back to Stock? Remove the root?

You have to flash sbf through rsd I'm sure if you ask In other threads someone will give it to you.

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
I thought it was coming out my old X was going to download it but it died and now I keep going and checking for updates and it says my phone id up to date.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Droid life has the update for download go there but like I said before this isn't officially its considered a leak.