Getting the most out of Google Voice VM

dredpir8

Reaction score
I have scoured the forum and can't find an answer to this...

Voicemail is working, sort of. Calls do go to my google vm and I get texts and updates when I have a new vm. What's not working is the VM widget. It still calls verizon (which just goes straight to google vm).

I've gone into Call Settings>Voicemail Service and set it up for Google Voice (and, yes, I've got the app installed). When I go through the configuration process though it hangs up and won't complete. If I go back to Call Settings>Voicemail Settings and click Voicemail Number, it opens up a carrier configuration screen and tells me to dial the *71XXXXX... number to configure my carrier. I do that (again) and nothing changes...

Thanks for any help.

richardsugg

Reaction score
You don't (have to) call to get your vmail anymore. I am using the Google Voice app to do texts and check messages. If someone leaves me a message, it shows up in Voice as a new thread. I can click "Play" and hear the message, and use the menu buttons to archive/delete, etc. It's like Vz's Visual Voicemail, only it's doesn't cost $3/month.

richardsugg

Reaction score
If you're trying to use the green Voicemail app that's pre-installed, looks like that might be hardcoded to call *86. If you really want to call into google voicemail, you'll probably have to setup a contact and create a contact widget that calls that number.

OP
D

dredpir8

Reaction score
Good point. You're right, I'm not looking to call in to google voice. I was hoping to use the green voicemail icon to launch the google voicemail interface like it did for the week I had verizon visual vm... Is there a google voice icon I'm just missing?

OP
D

dredpir8

Reaction score
Doh! Found it... it's just called "Voice". I was looking for "google voice"... Sigh. I've now publicly embarrassed myself. :)

alz06

Reaction score
go into setting - call setting - voicemail setting - click on voicemail number and you can then change the # the phone calls when you press and hold the#1 key