Getting stock JB back

Parafly9

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Nexus on Verizon. I tried downloading the factory image from Google and installing it , but I must be missing something

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I
am currently on the following
Build: full_toro-userdebug 4.1.1 JR003L eng. mmuzzy.20120807.095522 test-keys
Kernel : 3.0.31- g396c4df
Baseband i515.10 v.FC04
Android: 4.1.1

I installed this with ROM manager, it's mostly an AOSP ROM, and it works fine, but there are a few small things that I don't like about it (e.g. the camera app special features don't work, plus Google Wallet suddenly stopped working). I wanted to just go to 100% stock release from Google.

I can't figure out how to install it however. I tried installing
Factory Images "mysid" for Galaxy Nexus "toro" (Verizon CDMA/LTE)
however it downloads as a .tgz file and as far as I can tell there is no easy way to install this using ROM manager. I also couldn't figure out how to install it via WUG's toolkit.

Any ideas? I also tried extracting and rezipping various folders and sub-folders but nothing really worked :/

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You are certainly correct in that you cannot flash back to stock in ROM Manager. In the future, if you decide to root/ROM again, I would highly suggest installing your ROMs manually in recovery, rather than use ROM Manager. You are going to either need to setup ADB on your computer or figure out how to flash back to stock using Wug's toolkit. I have never used Wug's toolkit as I find it easier to just use ADB so I don't know how much help I can be if that's the route you choose to take. Once you unzip the .tgz file, within the folder there are three .img files and one .zip file. Essentially, these are the files that need to be flashed to your phone. Whether or not you do it manually through ADB or "automatically" through the toolkit, I would suggest checking out Droid-Life's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus. I have linked the guide below for you.

Complete Guide to the Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE [Verizon] – Droid Life

OP
Parafly9

Parafly9

Reaction score
I'd like to keep root and unlocked, if at all possible; although I suppose I can just do that aftewards again. Basically I just wanted to get to the base Google official JB build.

Thanks for the advice, will keep poking around.

OP
Parafly9

Parafly9

Reaction score
Stupid question, if I restore to root, it doesn't wipe the SD card "partition" on the device, does it? i.e. all of my pictures, videos, titanium backup, etc.?

DXjunkie

Reaction score
Stock vs ROMed

I'd like to keep root and unlocked, if at all possible; although I suppose I can just do that aftewards again. Basically I just wanted to get to the base Google official JB build.

Thanks for the advice, will keep poking around.

may I suggest (as a former crack-flasher) what I believe to be the best ROM available? Save ROM and the GAPPS to your computer; USB-PC to GNEX; install to the partitioned SD1(internal storage) side both ROM and GAPPS. Then untether, reboot GNEX into recovery. Factory data reset, clear the cache partition, wipe delvik (found in "advanced"), go back, and "system format" (mounts/storage), go back, then "install zip from SDcard"/ "choose zip"; flash ROM then GApps... reboot. It will take 15+ minutes to boot up. It doesn't sound like you need to back up what you have now :) Enjoy- Team Sourcery Forum • View topic - JBSourcery V3.1 - LTE - Official Release (make sure to clear your phone in recovery! Don't forget to always do a "sytem format" between clean installs! This will unfragment any leftovers.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Stupid question, if I restore to root, it doesn't wipe the SD card "partition" on the device, does it? i.e. all of my pictures, videos, titanium backup, etc.?

If you flash the stock images, I believe it wipes your entire phone, including the sdcard partition. However, simply wiping data/cache & dalvik cache does not touch the sdcard partition.