Getting nervous...

pookibr

Reaction score
With all the talk about the tiered pricing. Am now trying to decide if the TB is for me. I will be a first time smartphone user. Whats everyones opinions? Do you think I should get something different? If so, what?
Ive also looked at the droid r2d2, samsung continuum and the droid x.
Opinions PLEASE!!!!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're brand new to smartphones and are unsure about going 4G, get a Droid X; it's one of the best out there on 3G and you will be blown away by what you can do with it. dancedroid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, why do you want a TB? 4G? Is it in your area? Do you live in the city that's on the list or suburb? because if you live in a suburb you may not get 4G anyway.

Just get something else and forget all this nonsense. There are plenty of really nice phoned sbsilsnlr now. Just don't get the iPhone 4 it's getting bad reviews on Verizon.

StinkyPete

Reaction score
I live in a 4G area. I was planning on the TB. If they go away from unlim (which they could... and prob should do eventually from a business perspective)... I would have to re-think the TB.

Either the X or the Fascinate.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Get the TB, you will be happy and unless Verizon plans on offering those tiered plans with the launch of the TB which they are not then you will be good with the current data plan unless you change plans, and which point all bets are off. Besides Verizon cannot make the 4G pricing unpalatable otherwise no one will buy a 4G phone.

SpikeJones

Reaction score
I too do not have LTE in my area, but I do frequently visit cities that do.

So will I still be able to toggle 4G off when in my city, and just pay the $30 for unlimited 3G, then toggle 4G on when I am in a 4G LTE city, and pay the extra fee?

(Is there an extra fee for using 4G? I saw a post about it in the New thread about the release of the TB and I too got a little worried.)

OP
pookibr

pookibr

Reaction score
No I dont live where there is 4g and dont visit much where there is 4g. Like I said Im new to the smartphones. I really dont understand what 3g & 4g and toggling between them is. I should get a book "Smartphones for dummies" haha. Thats why Im so nervous about it. I read about you guys rooting and unrooting and tethering. I have no idea what all you are talking about.:icon_eek:

rlfitz

Reaction score
No I dont live where there is 4g and dont visit much where there is 4g. Like I said Im new to the smartphones. I really dont understand what 3g & 4g and toggling between them is. I should get a book "Smartphones for dummies" haha. Thats why Im so nervous about it. I read about you guys rooting and unrooting and tethering. I have no idea what all you are talking about.:icon_eek:

You can use this forum to learn alot about the power of android. I knew nothing at first about any of this. I learned alot . Just do alot of reading threads and use the search feature.
And whatever you do dont ask "what does root mean?" there are alot of knobs here that not only wont answer your question, but will quickly light you up with some sort of rude comment. That question has been asked alot without searching for the answer first. Its a sore spot. There are alot of thread explaining all the basics and are very helpful.
here are a few. enjoy.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

I12crash

Reaction score
Long time leerker fist time poster.
It's pretty simple to find all the info you need on these forums. In a way this if your book "for dummies". Don't worry about rooting you phone until you have a much better understanding of it. Rooting basically give you administrator rights to your phone. This gives you the permission you need to use some of the more powerful programs on the android market; like wireless tethering. Tethering is using the data from you phone as a hotspot to hook a laptop up to.
Like I said don't let all the terminology scare you away. Just get the phone and use it stock for a bit while you learn from what all these great people have to offer, and congrats in advance for getting your first smartphone. I promise you'll be blown away.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Kboss375

Reaction score
A poster above said that the Droid X is one of the best 3g phones out there. The TB should run flawlessly on 3g as well right? That comment makes me second guess the TB, I live in the Woods of Connecticut, great 3g coverage but I'm sure 4g is not a priority here

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A poster above said that the Droid X is one of the best 3g phones out there. The TB should run flawlessly on 3g as well right? That comment makes me second guess the TB, I live in the Woods of Connecticut, great 3g coverage but I'm sure 4g is not a priority here

Yes the TB will run on 3G no problem..

want a droid

Reaction score
4G LTE is not for everyone. If you're worried about pricing, wait until they announce something.