Thinking of getting a TB

459productions

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new here, but I have been eligible for an upgrade through big red since march. I have done countless hours of research, been to the store multiple times to look at the phones. I have came to the conclusion that 4g is what I want. Which leaves me the charge, rev, and tb. I really love the look and feel of the TB, but I was hoping maybe you guys could ease the few concerns I have about it.

1. Is the battery life really that bad and should it concern me as much as it does? Is doing the suggested tweaks on this form significantly increase the life?

2. Will gingerbread be coming out for the tb?

3. What are your opinions of the TB?

Thank you

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll leave it to others to answer #3, but as my wife has a bolt I can tell you battery life isn't really that bad. She can unplug in the morning and go the whole day, and when plugging in at night she's got plenty of juice left. As for #2, the TB will absolutely get gingerbread, when that will get pushed OTA isn't clear, perhaps in the fall timeframe is what I've heard.

etx_droid

Reaction score
If you're in a 3g area (like me) battery life shouldn't be an issue. GB will come but the dev support is so awesome that if you wanted you could have GB as soon as you get the phone. I've had mine for about a week now and it has been a very worthy upgrade to my OG.

I was really eyeing the D3 but the more info that comes out about that phone, the more I'm happy with my purchase.

OP

459productions

Reaction score
Have you guys had any reboot problems or is that a problem that has slowly been resolved?

johnd09

Reaction score
I have had the reboot problem, for me it comes and goes, may reboot 10 times one day then none for a few days. Looking for the ota to fix it around Wednesday.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

slinky

Reaction score
1) The battery is weak. HTC makes phones with batteries at 2/3 power recommended - always. Same with the Incredible. If you use the phone with light usage, you can make it through the day. If you intend to use it similar to your Blackberry, good luck. The extended battery is bulky although with a modified case you can make do. That battery lasts a very long time.

2) Yes, it will get Gingerbread.

3) 4G made it worthwhile. There are areas where Verizon Wireless and HTC should get chastised and even sued for misleading customers, including its own staff. But as they know, the phone is still their best one on the market. I don't root my phones but the fact that it can be rooted is a major plus, considering what I've seen lately, e.g. VZW not even updating its own app for the Thunderbolt. I like that flexibility.

4) My phone rarely reboots.

Do note the negatives, although I'm living with them.
a) Screen is practically invisible in sun/daylight.
b ) Video recording in 720p is very weak and stutters a bit (can't record on internal memory)
c) Internal memory is 1/4 the commonly reported size (look at article corrections) and not accessible, except primarily to store apps.

No 4G means not worth it IMHO. I could see myself using this phone for a long time without needing another one, despite the negatives.

Icemann07

Reaction score
I just got the TB 6/10/11 coming from DX, its a great phone but I needed more power so I got the extended battery. So far I would say its a great phone, the 4g in my aera is great and the phone is fast!!! Go for it!!!That my two cents....

OP

459productions

Reaction score
Any idea on when the update is coming that will fix the reboot? And how does that work will my phone automatically update or do I have to take it in? Does that same idea work for when they come out with gingerbread?

Thank you for all of the help everyone. I feel like I have made my decision, although the battery scares me a little bit. It seems like the TB is the best 4g verizon has right now.

zwegan

Reaction score
I'm not rooted and I have had none of the problems with random reboots.

I know it exists, but it should be fixed with tomorrow's OTA update.

I personally LOVE this phone.

My wife has the DX2 and she loves it but I think the screen looks like crap compared to the Tbolt.

The revolution shouldn't even be in your consideration because of it's specs compared to the charge/tbolt.

To me, the charge just FEELS like a cheap piece of plastic compared to the TBOLT.

The specs are nearly the same, so what I recomend is going to a Verizon store and holding/playing with both the Tbolt and the Charge.

I also think HTC Sense is the best of the manufacturer overlays for gingerbread, so unless you are going to root/rom it will probably be the most enjoyable.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i haven't had a reboot since the leaked update, so i'd call it "resolved" for people who are aware of how to get the update.

I'm coming from a og droid, and i'll say the battery life is about 25% better on the bolt, while in a 3g area.

and the screen being unusable in daylight can be said about every phone apparent but the new samsungs.