Getting a moto droid, comig from bb storm1

wil318466

Reaction score
Any words of advice from the previous Storm owners?

Here is a word of advice. Get rid of that joke that Blackberry put out and get the Droid.

Your BB Storm is going to seem like a piece of sh*t after you get the moto droid.

The Storm seemed like a piece of sh*t BEFORE I got the Droid.

I do agree I'll probably hate the storm after I get the droid tomorrow.

I hated the Storm before I got the Droid. I hated it after I got the Droid, and I still hate it. I hate that I wasted a year of my life with that piece of monkey crap phone. Someone should go to jail for putting that phone out. Im glad I slammed my Storm into the wall and smashed it, which forced my hand into getting the Droid. I wasnt due for an upgrade quite yet, but they let me anyway.

And I truly believe coming from a Storm just makes you appreciate the Droid that much more.

You would appreciate a tin can and string after using the Storm 1 for any length of time

Can anyone tell I HATED that phone??? "All you need is love?" Really RIM?? I guess after you leave that piece of crap behind you will be in love with your next phone. BTW, I HATE those commercials too. They make no sense whatsoever.

I'm curious.. what made you hate that phone so much? Was that the one where everyone had to do battery pulls?

funny thing is, I came VERY close to buying one, but after playing with it in the store just decided against it. Almost bought the Verizon Voyager, too.. but after palying with that decided it sucked, too.

I'm *REALLY* glad I bought the Droid though. The day before launch I read the review, woke up the next morning and bought it at 9am. I really didn't even think about it much.

Its more than what I thought it would be, too.

-Wil

Briankbl

Reaction score
Your BB Storm is going to seem like a piece of sh*t after you get the moto droid.

Hell, I came from using an iPhone 3G for almost two years, and even that feels like a piece of **** in comparison. The Droid can do so much, and I am constantly finding new gems everyday on this forum...the Droid is a phenomenal device.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I'm curious.. what made you hate that phone so much? Was that the one where everyone had to do battery pulls?

funny thing is, I came VERY close to buying one, but after playing with it in the store just decided against it. Almost bought the Verizon Voyager, too.. but after palying with that decided it sucked, too.

-Wil

You were determined to get a bad phone werent you? Voyager or Storm? The Voyager was the first phone I had with VZW. I had to switch from ATT (yes I was an iPhone user) to VZW and at the time the Voyager was what they were recommending as "the most iPhone-like", I guess because it had a touch screen. I wouldnt say it was horrible for what it was, but browsing was impossible. Literally a minute or 2 to load any and all pages, you could not scroll until the entire page was loaded.

I took that back and exchanged from the Storm since I was within 30 days, guess I was expecting a more "iPhone-like" experience with the full touch screen. What was bad about the Storm? You hit part of it, daily and even multiple daily battery pulls. The OS it came with, .65, was HORRIBLY buggy. They updated to .75 I think about a month or 2 later. It was a little more stable, but not much.

Anyway, freeze up, battery pulls, media player sucked, camera sucked, 3/4 of the time when you recorded a video and tried play back it would say "unsupported format", even though you recorded in ON THE PHONE!!!

They finally updated to the 5.0.whatever OS about a year after release and I have to say at least after that it was usable and way more reliable. Personally I think they should have given everyone that had the Storm pre-5.0 a free upgrade to the Storm 2.

Hell, I came from using an iPhone 3G for almost two years, and even that feels like a piece of **** in comparison. The Droid can do so much, and I am constantly finding new gems everyday on this forum...the Droid is a phenomenal device.

Lets not get carried away. I like the Droid, but if VZW got the iPhone tomorrow, Id have my Droid on Ebay the next day. IMO the only advantage Droid has over iPhone is multitasking, and quite frankly, I rarely run multiple apps at once. I know alot of people probably do, but for me, the iPhone is better. I think the app store really give the iPhone a huge advantage. The android market as-is, right now, is a mess.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Droid takes the iPhone 3GS in customization, navigation (GPS features), multi-tasking, amongst other things. Also, the Market is growing at a decent rate. Not to mention, Rooting>>>>>>Jail-breaking lol. Oh, and a physical keyboard. OHHH, and a speaker phone that is not a piece of crap! I know I am forgetting a bunch of things, but quite frankly, the Droid bests the iPhone in almost every way.

But that is just an opinion from someone who had owned the iPhone 3G for almost 2 years...

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Droid takes the iPhone 3GS in customization, navigation (GPS features), multi-tasking, amongst other things. Also, the Market is growing at a decent rate. Not to mention, Rooting>>>>>>Jail-breaking lol. Oh, and a physical keyboard. OHHH, and a speaker phone that is not a piece of crap! I know I am forgetting a bunch of things, but quite frankly, the Droid bests the iPhone in almost every way.

But that is just an opinion from someone who had owned the iPhone 3G for almost 2 years...

Different strokes I guess. I also used an iPhone for a couple years. I do like the Droid, but I dont think its quite surpassed the iPhone just yet.

Customization, ok, its got the iPhone beat if thats important to you. I tried all the home replacements (the free ones at least), and ended up right back with the stock 3 screen layout. It is nice to have your own wallpaper on the screen instead of just on the lock screen. And widgets are nice, I think the next iPhone or 4.0 will open up widgets to it.

GPS, again, beats the iPhone. Yet, Ive never used it because I have GPS already in my car.

Multi-tasking, Droid wins here.

Market vs app store is a run away for the iPhone. There is no debating this.

Havent rooted, I did jailbreak, and IMO jailbreaking was over-rated. It was nice before the app store, but once app store was created really no reason to jailbreak

Physical keyboard, ya, Droid has it, but I think its widely panned as crap. Every single review Ive read or listened to says the keyboard is bad, and I agree. I dont use it at all. I try once in a while, but go right back to onscreen. I do believe the virtual keyboard is every bit as good an iPhone. I dont think the physical keyboard give the Droid any advantage.

Speakerphone, cant really remember good/bad on iPhone. Seems Droid speaker is louder.

So yes, the Droid has advantages over the iPhone. I just personally would choose iPhone over Droid if I had the choice on VZW.

wil318466

Reaction score

Different strokes I guess. I also used an iPhone for a couple years. I do like the Droid, but I dont think its quite surpassed the iPhone just yet.

Customization, ok, its got the iPhone beat if thats important to you. I tried all the home replacements (the free ones at least), and ended up right back with the stock 3 screen layout. It is nice to have your own wallpaper on the screen instead of just on the lock screen. And widgets are nice, I think the next iPhone or 4.0 will open up widgets to it.

GPS, again, beats the iPhone. Yet, Ive never used it because I have GPS already in my car.

Multi-tasking, Droid wins here.

Market vs app store is a run away for the iPhone. There is no debating this.

Havent rooted, I did jailbreak, and IMO jailbreaking was over-rated. It was nice before the app store, but once app store was created really no reason to jailbreak

Physical keyboard, ya, Droid has it, but I think its widely panned as crap. Every single review Ive read or listened to says the keyboard is bad, and I agree. I dont use it at all. I try once in a while, but go right back to onscreen. I do believe the virtual keyboard is every bit as good an iPhone. I dont think the physical keyboard give the Droid any advantage.

Speakerphone, cant really remember good/bad on iPhone. Seems Droid speaker is louder.

So yes, the Droid has advantages over the iPhone. I just personally would choose iPhone over Droid if I had the choice on VZW.

I understand where you are coming from. Apple has a hit product with the iPhone, it really does. Won't hear me ever say the iPhone is a POS, I mean, its a downright nice device. I'd have bought one years ago if it was on Verizon.

But the real issue is you don't have your Droid set up the way you'd like, then. Hear me out.

A stock Droid vs a stock iPhone is comprable, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for saying they prefer it over the Droid. In fact, there were some things I just flat out didn't like about the Droid, which I've criticized in many posts.

That all changed after customizing and overclocking. With 2.1, GDE, 800 MHZ overclock and my various wallpapers, beautiful home setup, etc, I can honestly say right now if someone offered me a significant amount of money (say, 500 bucks?) to give up my Droid and switch to an iPhone this second, I would say no. Sounds crazy, right? I would *maybe* think about it a few days ago, even then I would stay with the Droid. After changing the entire look of the phone with the custom ROMS, and the massive speed increase, hands down I think I have the nicest smartphone you could possibly have right now. Truly.

The feeling I had when I first bought this phone on launch day is the exact feeling I have right now 2 days after installing the Smoked Glass ROM.

But, by all means.. I understand what you are saying.

-Wil

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a former BB user, I do miss the way profiles worked on the BB. I really wish there was a good way to centrally manage audio alerts, vibration and the notification LED. Quick Profiles comes close. However, it seems odd that the various volumes can be changed while a profile is active. Selecting the profile again in Quick Profiles will set the volumes again though. Still, it's a very minor deal in the grand scheme of things. I certainly wouldn't go back to my 8310 even though I was very happy with the 8310 at the time. Never had memory issues, never needed to pull the battery even though many other BB users seemed to have such problems.

My advice is read everything here. Don't assume that anything works the way it did on your BB and approach it with an open mind. Don't be afraid to play around! However, that's useful advice any time you switch from one device to another.