New Moto Droid user. General questions.

IggyBcool

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today and have some questions about it.

1. I did not receive any desktop software, such as like I did with my Storm. I tried connecting the Droid to both my desktop which is running Win. 7, and my laptop which is running XP, and neither one of them picked up the phone. It prompted for it to install the driver, but it said it could not complete the process because it could not find the proper drivers. What do I do?

2. How do I upload pics, music, yadda yadda to the device?

3. Is there a thread that could be linked that would take me to general users guide that goes in depth about functions and such? I didn't recieve any information of the phone besides a small pamphlet that showed the bare minimums to operate the phone.

4. Is there any "must have" apps? Then the "you really should check out.." apps?

I'm sure that there are more questions, but these are the main ones I have currently..

I apologize if this has been beaten to death.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

rushmr2

Reaction score
1) Did you go to the notification tab and select to mount the usb? if you dont do this the device will not be recognized. at least on ubuntu or mac, but im pretty sure its the same on windows

2) I drag and drop just like a flash drive but some people sync using several programs.

4) I use pandora a lot, shazam, maybe Astro the file manager, and several games. Look in the apps section.

antyoo

Reaction score
1. I am running vista and it picked up the phone no problem. it just looks at it as removable storage

2. once you get the phone connected to the pc, pull down the notification bar and press the mount sd card button. after that you can go on your pc and copy files directly onto the sd card in the phone

3. sorry, i dont know of any specific threads, check the sticky'ed threads at the top of the forums

4. i like handcent sms, google goggles, astro file manager off the top of my head

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
check out the applications forums here for all sorts of suggestions.

mine? well since you asked. Handcent and Swype together are phenom.. swype is not on the market, but search here and there are installation instructions.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Swype... definitely a 'must have' you won't find on any tech websites!

OP
I

IggyBcool

Reaction score
What about weather app? What do you guys prefer better? Weatherbug or Weather Chanel?

Also, what about themes?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about weather app? What do you guys prefer better? Weatherbug or Weather Chanel?

Also, what about themes?

Beautiful Widgets. Best looking widget and great weather animations.
Also the 2.1 Genie Widget (search forums for "2.1 Genie") has weather widget/information and a news widget that's customizable as to what news it subscribes to :)

Houndstooth

Reaction score
I really like Apps Organizer, which I haven't seen anyone else mention.

OP
I

IggyBcool

Reaction score
Wow, maybe I'm [Edited by FoxKat for content]? I cannot find the files that I created? I accessed the SD card on my computer, made new folders and uploaded pics and music in to them... But cannot find them on the phone? I checked my SD memory and it indeed does show that they have been loaded to the phone.........some where?

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes when moving files to the SD card they don't seem to show up on the device... often requiring a restart to get the SD card to be re-read. However... I use this app SDrescan v1.0.1 Application for Android | Tools to 're-scan' the SD card contents without powering off the phone. Takes 1-2 seconds and usually corrects this problem you're having :)

abstergonian

Reaction score
need to know if i need to upgrade firmware from 2.0 to 2.2 before a custom rom likebb

i am curious if i want to get bugless beast v.05 should i upgrade my firmware first. and if so the right sites to go to to get the right firmware version im running kernal and i have 2.0 not 2.0.1 just 2.0 and i want obviously 2.2 so please help if you can.