General Q regarding Data Plans

Deano2423

Reaction score
I currently have an unlimited data plan and know that various companies are beginning to stagger out tiered data plans. So I have 2 questions.

1. Am I grandfathered in if I go to upgrade my phone? Will I always have the unlimited data plan?

2. If not can I circumvent verizon's attempt to "phase" out unlimited data plans by purchasing a new phone without a data plan and unactivated, and then activating it, myself at home. I have never done it but my brother said he was able to activate a new phone by calling a number and took care of everything for him.

Thanks in advance

z96Cobra

Reaction score
1. Your contract is for phone service, the data plan is an add-on that you can cancel (with no penalty) by changing to a dumbphone. There is no guarantee that anyone will be grandfathered for unlimited data.

2. Yes, you can activate a phone from home by calling *228 or by logging into your Verizon account online. I'm not sure what you think you will accomplish though. As soon as you activate a smartphone, you are also enrolled in a data plan (I believe it's the unlimited plan by default).

OP
D

Deano2423

Reaction score
1. Your contract is for phone service, the data plan is an add-on that you can cancel (with no penalty) by changing to a dumbphone. There is no guarantee that anyone will be grandfathered for unlimited data.

2. Yes, you can activate a phone from home by calling *228 or by logging into your Verizon account online. I'm not sure what you think you will accomplish though. As soon as you activate a smartphone, you are also enrolled in a data plan (I believe it's the unlimited plan by default).
I was under the impression that by activating a different phone myself (instead of going to a store and buying the phone with a contract) that the current contract I have will simply be rolled over to the phone I'm activating.

If that is the case wouldn't it be a way to avoid having our unlimited data plans phased out?

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yes you will be grandfathered in as Long as you do not make any changes.

When I purchased my AWESOMEbolt (lol Thunderbolt) I made sure to ask a number off different reps and they all confirmed that I will be grandfathered in, even when ordering my TB (I ordered it over the phone) the rep said "I am not making any changes to your account" so no worries your grandfathered in =)

AWESOMEbolt