GB theme. Changing system text color?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I am using a Gingerbread theme titled GB.zip. Works out great, except for the notification slide down with emails and texts. They use white text, and it is hard to read at a glance. Is there a way to change the text to black? I tried the spare parts app, but came up with nothing.

sephtin

Reaction score
I am using a Gingerbread theme titled GB.zip. Works out great, except for the notification slide down with emails and texts. They use white text, and it is hard to read at a glance. Is there a way to change the text to black? I tried the spare parts app, but came up with nothing.

You have to break open the framework-res.apk, and modify compiled .xml files to do it.. it's not an easy task, but totally do-able...)

Some info here:
[video=youtube;LiExjt7nGt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiExjt7nGt8[/video]
(If it's not in that vid, it could be in the second one (2/2)).

OP
N

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Heh, it's not that big of a deal. :p

Another question. Is it ok to install themes on top of themes? With my original Droid, I would do that on BuglessBeast, and didn't seem to have any problems. But it seems like many frown on the idea. Is there a definitive answer? I can't tell from pics if I would find a theme usable for long periods of time.

Thanks

sephtin

Reaction score
Heh, it's not that big of a deal. :p

Another question. Is it ok to install themes on top of themes? With my original Droid, I would do that on BuglessBeast, and didn't seem to have any problems. But it seems like many frown on the idea. Is there a definitive answer? I can't tell from pics if I would find a theme usable for long periods of time.

Thanks

Ahh, great question!
The answer is kinda complicated.. but I'll try to explain.. (If I'm not clear on something, please ask for clarification.. )

There is a lot of confusion surrounding themes... the best suggestion I have, is crack open one of the .zip files, and you'll see what they actually consist of!
If you do, you'll see a framework file or two, and usually (but not always) system application files that have been modified!

So, to explain.. when a dev "themes" for a ROM or app, or whatever. They take the original framework files and applications, and modify them, and then package up their changed files.
When you apply the theme, you are actually REPLACING those files.

So to answer "can you install a theme over another theme?"... sure. ;) The new theme will simply replace whatever files it includes. If it includes all of the same files as the old theme, they will just be replaced, and you'll get the new theme. If it doesn't have all of the files, you may end up with bits and pieces of both themes. :)

So.. the short answer is .. yes you can, but it's not recommended... I suppose.

My suggestion: Reinstall the ROM you have (there shouldn't be a need to wipe data/cache). That will get you back to a clean ROM, and then you can cleanly install any themes you like.

(On another note.. the same can be said of BB... the themes probably contained the same files.. so it wans't a problem... Not exactly the case for DroidX.. I've seen themes that only contain 2 files, and others that contain dozens. :p

HTH!

Edit: Knowing the above... it also explains why you should only use themes that are designed for the ROM you're using!
Because they replace framework files.. IF the framework file is from a completely different ROM... it might not be compatible with the ROM you're using... :)