GB Problems

Western

Reaction score
I upgraded to GB a month or so ago (download, not OTA). Nothing but problems since. Battery life is significantly less than before - less than a day, with minimal phone use, no BT, no WI-Fi, etc. before a need to recharge. Music player randomly stops playing and must be restarted. At times, the phone randomly reboots itself and after shut down, sometimes restarts itself. I did a wipe/reset yesterday and the reboot/self start issues seem to be resolved, but battery life and music player issues remain. Anyone else having these problems? I'm almost ready to go back to Froyo.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I upgraded to GB a month or so ago (download, not OTA). Nothing but problems since. Battery life is significantly less than before - less than a day, with minimal phone use, no BT, no WI-Fi, etc. before a need to recharge. Music player randomly stops playing and must be restarted. At times, the phone randomly reboots itself and after shut down, sometimes restarts itself. I did a wipe/reset yesterday and the reboot/self start issues seem to be resolved, but battery life and music player issues remain. Anyone else having these problems? I'm almost ready to go back to Froyo.
Well, you're experiencing some problems that most people who downloaded GB have not. Hopefully the factory reset has solved the reboot issue. If you don't have the extended battery offered by Verizon you should consider getting it. It is available through the Verizon Online store...not usually in the local Verizon store. The extended battery, coupled with some common sense battery saving tips (I'm not inferring you don't have common sense :)) should solve the battery problem Some things you can do to extend battery life is:
-Make sure the phone network is set to CDMA...not global
-Turn you screen brightness down to as low as you can tolerate. Use an indoor setting and just be prepared to increase brightness when you outdoors if you have to.
-If you have a task manager other than the one that came with the phone get rid of it. Many 3rd party task managers interfer with normal phone operations and eat battery life in the process
-Adjust the frequency that your weather widget, email, facebook etc sync data. The more often you require those apps/widgets to sync the more battery life you use.
-Consider having your other than gmail email forwarded to gmail. Gmail will push that email to your phone so those other email accounts don't have to use battery resources to sync. Saves a lot of battery life if you have more than one email account.
-Live wallpaper is nice...but it is a battery eater.
-If you have apps that you never use, uninstall them. Many apps will load themselves without your knowledge thus using phone resources=battery life
-Don't turn WiFi, Bluetooth or GPS on unless your actively using them
As far as the music player issue...there could be a third party app that you have downloaded interfering with it. Again...uninstall any app you've downloaded if you don't use it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
W

Western

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips - I will implement as many as possible/practical. One question regarding apps - why do they self-load themselves? It's very annoying/puzzling - I find myself running task manager several times a day to end apps that I never started.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips - I will implement as many as possible/practical. One question regarding apps - why do they self-load themselves? It's very annoying/puzzling - I find myself running task manager several times a day to end apps that I never started.
Good question. I think (I'm not a cell phone guru) the manufacturers try to make their products as user friendly as possible, and in doing so they attempt to make the product a "one touch does what you want" type device. To accomplish this they determine that the common user will make calls, take pictures, send and receive text messages and emails and probably want to connect to a social "network" like Facebook. So, when you turn on your phone all these apps start whether you need them or will ever use them. The same goes for a lot of the bloat ware you see on phones. I think they are trying to make your experience with their device as simple and straight forward as possible...take all the guess work out of it if you will. A more complicated reason is that some apps need the functionality of a different app to accomplish a task. For instance, for Facebook to work it must connect to the internet, therefore your browser must be started/running for Facebook to work...just an example.