2.2 Update Makes Original Droid Unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

aowen7a

Reaction score
TRUST ME! you guys are not the only ones with the froyo update for 2.2 ! i was in verizon today with problems with my droid 3 people came in with completely unuseable phones! i dont know if you'd call it "bricked" persay but all they would do is boot to the Motorola "M" in the beginning then they were stuck there!!! then when the service tech tried reloading 2.1 on them they completely "BRICKED" like wouldnt boot wouldnt even power on !!! people were pissed! On a better note all 3 were offered the "Droid-X" for their trouble!

b-radisrad

Reaction score
I have extremely long startup times. I have to wait approximately 10-15 minutes for the phone to completely startup if a I do a battery pull or turn the phone off. Once the phone is running it is ok, no other problems to report.

Wreckincars

Reaction score
TRUST ME! you guys are not the only ones with the froyo update for 2.2 ! i was in verizon today with problems with my droid 3 people came in with completely unuseable phones! i dont know if you'd call it "bricked" persay but all they would do is boot to the Motorola "M" in the beginning then they were stuck there!!! then when the service tech tried reloading 2.1 on them they completely "BRICKED" like wouldnt boot wouldnt even power on !!! people were pissed! On a better note all 3 were offered the "Droid-X" for their trouble!

Mine did the same thing. It just has the "M". I work second shift so I have to wait till tuesday morning to take it in.
So you could say, Everyone who's phone was a little disorganized, be happy. Mine is a paper weight:icon_evil:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
To everyone with update problems;

If you can boot to the home screen, try installing a different version of the update, available here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ircus-continues-frg01b-official-get-here.html

The method for forcing the install is here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/66044-official-froyo-rollout-thread.html

The first link is to a file that reinstalls the same update you have on there, but it rewrites the entire system rather than patching it. Net result is a cleaner install that has fewer issues and less lag. The first boot may take some time.

To those of you who cannot get out of a boot loop, try going to the rescue squad forum.

Rescue Squad - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

They have lots of threads and advice and the members are the best.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
My phone was screwing up bad since the FRG01B OTA update. I took off task killer and removed alot off stuff and still it was bad. It was basically done for. Wouldnt even boot. I took it to Verizon and they gave me a BRAND new Droid 1! Running 2.1! BTW, does anyone know of a OTA update of 2.2 FRG22 rolling out anytime soon for Droid 1? Ive read some things about but no good answer.
See my previous post to force-update your system to the current 2.2 build. :)

TopDroid

Reaction score
My phone was screwing up bad since the FRG01B OTA update. I took off task killer and removed alot off stuff and still it was bad. It was basically done for. Wouldnt even boot. I took it to Verizon and they gave me a BRAND new Droid 1! Running 2.1! BTW, does anyone know of a OTA update of 2.2 FRG22 rolling out anytime soon for Droid 1? Ive read some things about but no good answer.
See my previous post to force-update your system to the current 2.2 build. :)

Hey man, thanks for the suggestion but Im going to ROOT pretty soon here. Im happy with 2.1 for now. I really dont want anything to do with FRG01B. lol!
BTW, I may be a little mislead here but do you know about a SECOND 2.2 Droid update rolling out(FRG22) ?or is the FRG01B going to be it? With as many problems as people are having, I couldnt imagine that Verizon is leaving people with that FRG01B build.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
FRG22 is the latest leaked build, but that doesn't mean they're going to update to it; development hasn't stopped over at Motorola. There is a report that a second wave of updates will start, these aimed specifically at users running FRG01B, and it may be FRG22 that gets dropped, but that's speculation at this point.

If you're going to root, do it. There's no point in waiting unless you're unsure. If you're unsure, keep reading until you're sure, and then go for it. And welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies.

Soon in Gingerbread flavor. ;)

TopDroid

Reaction score
FRG22 is the latest leaked build, but that doesn't mean they're going to update to it; development hasn't stopped over at Motorola. There is a report that a second wave of updates will start, these aimed specifically at users running FRG01B, and it may be FRG22 that gets dropped, but that's speculation at this point.

If you're going to root, do it. There's no point in waiting unless you're unsure. If you're unsure, keep reading until you're sure, and then go for it. And welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies.

Soon in Gingerbread flavor. ;)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, ive done my research for the past 6 months on rooting so im SURE that im going to do it. One question though im going to use this rom to root:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-frg22-update-available-rooted-droid-1-a.html

The question i have about it though is... does the wifi work on it? Ive read some things that say it does not.. then in that case Id have to get a new kernal, which im ok with. But is there another rom to flash that has root built in that is better? I just want to use this rom (or another rom) to root with, then Ill start playing around with other things like, OC, kernals, Roms,etc.

I dont mean to get away from the topic on this thread so PM me if you want. Thanks!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't get why Verizon would do a ROM update like that. I mean, when I installed BB 0.4 I wiped the phone. I'm not saying the logic is flawed cause (in computer terms) it's just like doing an Upgrade to Windows 7 from XP versus a full version new install. I am just saying, to cut down on random issues like this, wouldn't it have been better to just wipe everything? Google backs up all the data and all the users stuff is on the SD card. Or would too many people be upset for having to recreate shortcuts and bookmarks and stuff?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't get why Verizon would do a ROM update like that. I mean, when I installed BB 0.4 I wiped the phone. I'm not saying the logic is flawed cause (in computer terms) it's just like doing an Upgrade to Windows 7 from XP versus a full version new install. I am just saying, to cut down on random issues like this, wouldn't it have been better to just wipe everything? Google backs up all the data and all the users stuff is on the SD card. Or would too many people be upset for having to recreate shortcuts and bookmarks and stuff?
Most people don't even know there's an update coming out, so if they woke up, saw the nag screen, went "huh" and then hit the button and suddenly lost everything on their phone they'd riot! They don't care if their phone is now faster, has more options, and now they can play Farmville (yay Flash!) while they drive home instead of just talking without a headset. They lost that thing on their desktop that let them make their phone fart! And the other thing that made their phone fart! And that other thing, over there, that made their phone talk like Stewie from Family Guy!

It's actually cheaper to replace the phones that get corrupted than it is to deal with the PR nightmare and lawsuits that would start cropping up, fart jokes aside. That's why there's the larger file kicking around; the problem is, rather than direct people to their local store where some well-trained (hah!) tech calmly attempts to fix the phone using both the larger update file and a stock 2.2 SBF, they're just mailing/handing out replacements. That's good PR.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My ringback tone is Stewie..lol

That's what I was wondering. Just too many idiots on the Earth so it costs less to do it this way.

m3shelly

Reaction score
I can't believe this! If I had known it was going to be a problem, I would have skipped the update. I told it to 'wait until later' all day today, then decided to allow it to update during my drive home from work. Now I have no phone, no internet, no e-mail, nothing - just an unusable phone with the Droid logo on the screen, permanently.

I tried removing the battery twice. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks

Finally got mine to the Verizon store today. This morning, I tried a full system reset; I wasn't using a task killer or anything mentioned above, and they couldn't get it working either (of coarse). I am getting a new phone tomorrow, in the mail. I will be missing it tonight though. They gave me the paper weight to take with me, so if there are any new ideas about getting past the boot screen, I will try them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.