Gallery Replacement

brochaos

Reaction score
Just wanted to share something i stumbled across a couple of days ago. I have been somewhat frustrated with the stock gallery, it just seems laggy at times, loading thumbnails can be slow, sometimes thumbnails don't load, what is the point of it being 3d, etc.

in the process of seeing if anyone else shared my frustrations, i came across an app called Just Pictures! a few people recommended it so i gave it a shot.

this thing is sweeeeeet and has totally replaced the stock gallery for me. don't worry, it can still sync your picasa albums. oh yeah, it will also sync your facebook, flickr, smugmug and photobucket albums too! it takes a few seconds initially to create thumbnails and stuff, but after that, it is MUCH faster and smoother than the stock gallery. it also supports swiping, pinch to zoom, double tap to zoom, etc.

p.s. i am not the dev, don't know the dev, just like the app. let me know what you guys think!

JustPictures! - Android app on AppBrain

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Thats funny... I did the same thing last week because I hate Gallery. I have been testing out this app as I get time.

Seems to be the best one so far. Only thing is it wont give you the crop box when using a picture for wallpaper.

Gallery makes me feel drunk in space. Hate the floating feeling.

~ DroidForums.net App ~

OP
brochaos

brochaos

Reaction score
haha i don't have that problem, i just think it's a waste of resources and sort of pointless. i didn't realize how sad gallery was until i used an i*hone the other day. we really need hardware acceleration!

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
haha i don't have that problem, i just think it's a waste of resources and sort of pointless. i didn't realize how sad gallery was until i used an i*hone the other day. we really need hardware acceleration!

Something needs changed. Its just inefficient. Just show me my damn pictures!

~ DroidForums.net App ~

OP
brochaos

brochaos

Reaction score
nobody else has tried this? :icon_eek:

Sal R.

Reaction score
I've been using JP for a few weeks and it has replaced my stock gallery as app of choice.

Wallpaper cropping/sizing/positioning is in the works so is the rotate feature. Once that's in, no real need for the gallery app anymore. Too bad you can tie JP to the camera so I can do away with the stock gallery app altogether.

OP
brochaos

brochaos

Reaction score
I've been using JP for a few weeks and it has replaced my stock gallery as app of choice.

Wallpaper cropping/sizing/positioning is in the works so is the rotate feature. Once that's in, no real need for the gallery app anymore. Too bad you can tie JP to the camera so I can do away with the stock gallery app altogether.

good stuff! i can still exit the camera and load JP and be looking at the pic i just took in a faster amount of time than if i were to hit the gallery link from inside the camera app!

OldguyMark

Reaction score

brochaos - dude, thanks for posting this - I just got it this morning after seeing this post. Totally cool, does everything I've been wanting on my non-rooted D1 and is at least 5 times faster than the stock gallery (LOL even when it says waiting or crunching data.)

Too bad it doesn't work with the video you take with the camera, but I can live with that.

It has FC'd on me about three times now, but it only seems to happen if I'm trying to swipe too fast through a large file of thumbnails ... I can also live with slowing down a bit. :)

It also works great with picture files in Astro, and/or any .nomedia files.

:icon_ banana:

Last edited:

kwod8832

Reaction score
Yes it is a nice replacement, but my geo tags are not showing up, or did I miss something?

OP
brochaos

brochaos

Reaction score

brochaos - dude, thanks for posting this - I just got it this morning after seeing this post. Totally cool, does everything I've been wanting on my non-rooted D1 and is at least 5 times faster than the stock gallery (LOL even when it says waiting or crunching data.)

Too bad it doesn't work with the video you take with the camera, but I can live with that.

It has FC'd on me about three times now, but it only seems to happen if I'm trying to swipe too fast through a large file of thumbnails ... I can also live with slowing down a bit. :)

It also works great with picture files in Astro, and/or any .nomedia files.

:icon_ banana:

sucks about the FCs...have not encountered any myself. i really only have pics taken from the phone cam though...in 2 folders, about 5 gigs worth.

i also wish it supported video, but honestly, the stock video player can't even smoothly play the videos i recorded on my phone, so i've had to also resort to using rockplayer as my video player.

Last edited:

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
The main problem I have with JP is that the more pics there are in a folder, the longer it takes to crunch the data and finally open up. In a folder with hundreds of pictures, I've had it take over a minute to open. I wish there was an app that would just open a single picture, without needing to create a mess of thumbnails each time. Sort of like the old Irfanview program for PCs.

dbst

Reaction score
I'll give this a shot, I've been using the "Multi-touch Gallery for Droid" by BandB on the market and it's been running great

smtaylor

Reaction score
Newbie and working hard to figure things out. Addicted to DroidForums. Just downloaded JP. Can't figure out how to make it my default, or if that is even possible. Appreciate the help.
Non-rooted Droid1, running with LauncherProPlus.

Last edited:

dbst

Reaction score
Newbie and working hard to figure things out. Addicted to DroidForums. Just downloaded JP. Can't figure out how to make it my default, or if that is even possible. Appreciate the help.
Non-rooted Droid1, running with LauncherProPlus.
Just click on the JP icon in your app drawer instead of your gallery icon when you want to look at your pictures