Gallery & Picasa Web Albums

dja1980

Reaction score
I just bought my wife the Razr for Christmas, and we’re trying to figure out how to get Picasa to sync to her Gallery. On our OG Droids, we had the option under Accounts to sync Picasa Web Albums… I don’t see that option under Accounts on her Razr.

We’ve tried to mess around with the options on the Motocast Gallery… even tried to enter her e-mail address for her Picasa account under the upload options. Am I missing something?

I can see that Motocast is really going to take some getting used to, and I’m not sure that I’m ever going to. Worst case, is there a way to get rid of Motocast and get the original Android/Google Gallery app? I’m starting to wish that vanilla Android was an option on this phone.

todroid

Reaction score
That is rather strange. When you go to settings> accounts> add account> you don't see a "Picasa (gallery)" option?

I'm running stock Razr, that account worked well for me since day one.

Then when you go to stock gallery, click on the "online" button, you should have access to all your web albums.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
D

dja1980

Reaction score
Exactly... everything else is under the sync options (Contacts, Gmail, Music, Instant Upload, Google+, Calendar), but not Picasa Web Albums. My mom also got a Razr for Christmas, and we couldn't figure it out on her phone either.

I was thinking that it's because the Razr uses Moto's "Gallery" app instead of the official Android "Gallery" app. Hmmm... now I'm really confused. :blink:

gling

Reaction score
+1 for Accounts>Add Account for Picasa setup.
Also go to Device Setup>Connect Accounts to get the same account screen.
A good option to upload pictures and videos to your Picasa account is set up the Quick Upload feature in the Gallery.
Open the Gallery/Library>Settings> then Quick Upload for Pictures/Videos. To use, tap a picture or video and you'll see a circle with an arrow up in the middle. Tap on that to instantly upload to your chosen account.

todroid

Reaction score
Exactly... everything else is under the sync options (Contacts, Gmail, Music, Instant Upload, Google+, Calendar), but not Picasa Web Albums. My mom also got a Razr for Christmas, and we couldn't figure it out on her phone either.

I was thinking that it's because the Razr uses Moto's "Gallery" app instead of the official Android "Gallery" app. Hmmm... now I'm really confused. :blink:

Something is fishy, because the options you list are not under accounts. I think you are going too far, into the google account. Can you actually follow the steps that have been provided?

OP
D

dja1980

Reaction score
Something is fishy, because the options you list are not under accounts. I think you are going too far, into the google account. Can you actually follow the steps that have been provided?
Ah, maybe I did go too far. What I did was opened Setting > Accounts, and then chose the Primary Google account we added to the phone when we first set it up. This takes you to the Sync options for that account.

I'm going off of memory since I don't have her phone in front of me at my office. I'll play around with it more tonight when I get home and see if I can follow the steps you provided.

Just to be clear... you are referring to the system settings and not the app settings, correct? With the OG Droid, we didn't have to add an additional account to sync the Gallery with Picasa. Are you saying that even though we signed in with her Primary Google account when we set up the phone, we have to add the account again somewhere in order to sync with Picasa?

todroid

Reaction score
Are you saying that even though we signed in with her Primary Google account when we set up the phone, we have to add the account again somewhere in order to sync with Picasa?

Bingo. It allows you to add a Picasa account even if it's different than your primary google account.

Good luck

Androidatic

Reaction score
Try using Picasa Tool from the Market. It's free and let's you update one, all or any combination of pictures on your phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
D

dja1980

Reaction score
Bingo. It allows you to add a Picasa account even if it's different than your primary google account.
That was it... thanks!

I'm so used to signing in with my Google account and having everything linked to that account automatically synced that I would have never guessed to have to add Picasa separately. Thanks again for your help!

Leeds

Reaction score
I've got the opposite problem. I don't have a picasa account, I don't use picasa, and I don't ever plan on using picasa.

But ever since the OTA update 2 weeks ago, my droid bionic gives me a daily warning saying that picasa wants to have permission to access my google account. Every fricking day I click on "deny" and every fricking day I am asked again if I want it to have access.

I don't even use the stock album since it is such crap nowadays. I use the old-style "gallery" that I downloaded from the market the day I got my bionic.

So why is this picasa crap so invasive? Do I need to re-root my phone and neuter the crap gallery?

Thanks in advance!

OP
D

dja1980

Reaction score
I don't even use the stock album since it is such crap nowadays. I use the old-style "gallery" that I downloaded from the market the day I got my bionic.

So why is this picasa crap so invasive? Do I need to re-root my phone and neuter the crap gallery?

Thanks in advance!
How did you get the "old-style gallery" app from the Market? I tried to find it, but had no luck. I would still prefer to use Google's stock apps over using Motocast if I could figure it out on the Razr.

Picasa is part of Google, which is why I was confused when my wife's account wasn't automatically synced. I don't know that it's being invasive, but I guess it's like trying to use Android without Gmail... it's there whether you use it or not. We like it because, since Foyo, it stores all our PC photos to the "cloud", and they automatically show up on our phone without using SD space. It's very similar to Google Music, only for photos.

todroid

Reaction score
That was it... thanks!

I'm so used to signing in with my Google account and having everything linked to that account automatically synced that I would have never guessed to have to add Picasa separately. Thanks again for your help!

No problem, glad to be of help. That's what this forum is all about :)

Leeds

Reaction score
How did you get the "old-style gallery" app from the Market? I tried to find it, but had no luck. I would still prefer to use Google's stock apps over using Motocast if I could figure it out on the Razr.

Picasa is part of Google, which is why I was confused when my wife's account wasn't automatically synced. I don't know that it's being invasive, but I guess it's like trying to use Android without Gmail... it's there whether you use it or not. We like it because, since Foyo, it stores all our PC photos to the "cloud", and they automatically show up on our phone without using SD space. It's very similar to Google Music, only for photos.

I just searched and I also was unable to find the generic old gallery. It is simply called "gallery" on my phone and it literally is the old one with folders etc. I am unable to bring up any info on it though, there are no settings. Sorry!

OP
D

dja1980

Reaction score
Post #7 on this XDA thread has a link to the 3D Gallery...

Gallery App - xda-developers

However, it looks like it might cause issues with camera storage since all the Motocast apps are linked together.

bennystan

Reaction score
My dear friend. You are right.

They have created this nicely shaped phone in such a manner that firstly it attracts you to buy it and after having bought it regrets start appearing.They have excluded the original app called Gallery from the android version that is installed on RAZR and they force you to use the crap one , the Motocast (moto-caca!!!) Before I bought the Motorola Razr I used to have the Galaxy S which sold to my boss. In the Galaxy S you have all the good apps the way they should be and the Accounts menu has a Google account wit Sync for all things provided by Google: gmail, instant upload, google +, Contacts, picasa web albums, Calendar. But the Razr gives you no chance to have that.

SOLUTION: Still, there is a way to go around this rubbish situation: go to the market and buy the app called Gallery Pro. As soon as you install it, you will get all the pictures from your picasa album in it and under the Account/Google menu - you will see that Picasa Web Albums have appeared. Hurray!!!. If you have no money to buy it go around and search for it on anzhi, aptoide, blapkmarket and get is for free, but my recommendation is to get it from the Android Market as this way you will have it forever and you will definitely use it in many ways. It has some extra features to modify and share your pics and videos as well. Good Luck!