Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and Facebook

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, well after a short stint with the iPhone 6S Plus, I am back to Android.

I have used Android for years, so I am a little confused how I cannot figure this out.

In the past with my Note 3, Note 4, Galaxy S5, you could change a setting within the Facebook app that would sync Facebook profile pictures with people in your oontact list. This option seems to be missing from my current device. If I go into Settings --> Accounts --> Facebook, there is an option to Sync Contacts...I turn that on, however, nothing happens?

Does anyone have this working and if so, how did you get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Uninstall Facebook and reinstall. It's one of the install settings.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Uninstalling and re-installing does not do anything. Do I need to go into Setting --> Accounts --> Facebook --> Sync with your device --> and click the box "Sync with your device'? By doing that it brings up a ton of items such as Facebook Photos, Events, ect.

Thanks!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Uninstalling and re-installing does not do anything. Do I need to go into Setting --> Accounts --> Facebook --> Sync with your device --> and click the box "Sync with your device'? By doing that it brings up a ton of items such as Facebook Photos, Events, ect.

Thanks!
Yes.

The Facebook app itself has had issues with syncing contacts for a long time. Back when I had the Galaxy Nexus, I had to download HaxSync Workaround - Android Apps on Google Play to get my Facebook contacts to sync.

Samsung themselves have provided their own syncing during that time and contact sync has disappeared and reappeared in the official Facebook app as well.

You want to use the option in Accounts under settings though. That'll sync you up right as rain.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Thanks Jonny, within accounts I only see the option of sycing all contacts, I am only wanting to sync those that are already in my contact list. This was an option in the past within the Facebook app which appears to be missing now. I really did not want to sync over 1000 people to my contacts, just the ones actually in my contact list.

Thanks again!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Then I'd recommend giving Haxsync a try. I believe it used to offer the existing contacts option.

Fair warning, I haven't used it in years because I've been using Samsung devices that synced for me, so I can't guarantee it still works and/or is supported by the dev, but it worked like a charm years ago.

EDIT: Crap. Nevermind. Just realized that's the Jelly Bean Workaround. I don't see Haxsync available anymore.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
So Jonny you have sync'd like I mentioned above through settings?

I did notice that I received a message from my Samsung account wanting access to Facebook...did you do it that way or how I mentioned above?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So Jonny you have sync'd like I mentioned above through settings?

I did notice that I received a message from my Samsung account wanting access to Facebook...did you do it that way or how I mentioned above?
I gave Samsung access. I'm not using one of their phones anymore. I just upgraded from the Note 4 to the Nexus 6P, but that's the way I synced mine.

If you don't want to have to scroll through all of those friends, there's an option in the contacts app for "Contacts to Display". If you select your Google account (assuming that's what you store your contacts to), and have all of the contacts linked properly, you'll only see those contacts.

Additionally, I believe there's an option for "Only contacts with phone numbers" that will weed out a lot of them as well, except where your friends have put their phone number on their Facebook page.

With these options, it'll still sync ALL of your Facebook friends, but you won't have to see them ALL unless you want to. I'm thinking that may be the way I did it on the Note. Funny though, their Facebook pictures have carried over to my Nexus phone as their contact pictures. That's nice.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Hmmm well I set it up to sync contacts, however, still not working...not to mention, all the options that it originally gave, ie sync photos, events, ect I can no longer access.

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Not grayed out, just not there anymore, lol. now I can only turn it off and on, not choose what is sync'd.

Interesting as well, must be a native app on this device as you are not able to uninstall it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not grayed out, just not there anymore, lol. now I can only turn it off and on, not choose what is sync'd.

Interesting as well, must be a native app on this device as you are not able to uninstall it.
Yeah it's kinda banked into their settings menu.

I do see that the Facebook messenger app has an option for syncing contacts, but I've never tried that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
D

dieselpowered

Reaction score
LOL well now it is still sync'ing Facebook stuff, however, I have sync turned off...this is the stuff that drives me insane...damn OCD! Now I am definitely lost.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gotta learn some patience. Weird that it kept going when you shut it off though. Usually toggling that switch kills anything that's syncing.