Is the fingerprint scanner on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge better than on the Galaxy Note 4?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the fingerprint scanner on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge better than on the Galaxy Note 4?
If so, how much better?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Early reviews state that it's much better. The difference is in how it works. On the Note 4 (and S5), you have to swipe your finger over the sensor. On the S6 and S6 Edge, you simply place your finger on the sensor, similar to how Touch ID works on the iPhone.

While I've tried it several times, I don't use the finger print scanner on the Note 4 because it's just as much work as an on-screen pattern lock. If it had a fingerprint scanner like the one on the S6/S6 Edge, I'd definitely be using it. Touch ID works extremely well on the iPhone, and it's very nice to have. Early reviews for the S6/S6 Edge say that Samsung's implementation of the same style scanner works almost as well as the iPhone's.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
IMO, it took Apple a couple of tries to get "touch ID" perfected so my guess would be it will be the same with Samsung...the fingerprint scanner on the Note Edge is more cumbersome for me in use than say that of the iPhone 6+...definitely hope the feature is improved.

whippleman

Reaction score
I just got my S6 Edge about two hours ago, coming from a Note 4. The fingerprint scanner is light years ahead of the Note 4. Samsung has finally nailed the fingerprint scanner. You can now put your thumb or finger anyway and any direction to successfully register. I am gladly surprised how good it is, even the very tip of my thumb will unlock it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad to see they've made the tech better. From videos I watched before I got the Note 4, its scanner is better than the S5's was, so I expected the S6's to be better still, especially when I saw that they removed the need to swipe it.

I used the feature on the Note 4 to lock it when I first got it, but as someone else said, it wasn't always faster than a pattern lock. And if your hands are the least bit damp, forget about it!

Glad to have lollipop on my Note now and my G Watch setup as a trusted device.

RoadToad

Reaction score
If so, how much better?
My S6 edge is inconsistent in ID ing my finger prints; but my grandsons print is perfect on my edge and on his edge. My fingers are callused from hard work; his, not so much....

Caesars

Reaction score
It's a lot better, but not on apples level (probably because the shape), but it works well enough to leave it enabled.