Galaxy Note 7 Will Be Updated To Cap Battery At 60% In The US

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Believe it or not there are still plenty of Galaxy Note 7 devices out in the wild. In fact there are about 15% of Note 7 users actively using the device. We have been hearing murmurs that Samsung will send out an update to cripple the battery on the device in an attempt to protect Galaxy Note 7 users from themselves. It looks like this update will be coming to US devices very soon. This update will reduce the risks of the phone overheating and catching fire. The other train of thought here is that the Note 7 will be annoying to use being that it will need charging more often. This might encourage Note 7 users to go ahead and trade in the device. The update will also add even more notifications to turn off the device and return it. You will get the message when you plug the phone up to charge, power on the device, and wake the up the device you will get the message. Maybe the Note 7 users that are left will finally get the picture.

via Samsung

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Believe it or not there are still plenty of Galaxy Note 7 devices out in the wild. In fact there are about 15% of Note 7 users actively using the device.

Maybe the Note 7 users that are left will finally get the picture.

Or..... maybe those folks still left will use the guide that's on the Note 7 Rebels website to block this update, as well as any further notifications, so they can continue using this amazing device.

Where there's a will there's a way.....this method works great! My wife (along with thousands of others) refuse to give hers back.
Better luck next time Samsung!

S5 tap'n

wardo

Reaction score
Or..... maybe those folks still left will use the guide that's on the Note 7 Rebels website to block this update, as well as any further notifications, so they can continue using this amazing device.

Where there's a will there's a way.....this method works great! My wife (along with thousands of others) refuse to give hers back.
Better luck next time Samsung!

S5 tap'n
Dumb! It's faulty and could be dangerous to her and others...smh

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Personally I did not want to continue holding on to a device that could possibly harm me or my family....no matter how small the chance is it's still to high for me.

I think this is a bigger issue than was originally stated and I can only hope that the remaining "rebels" see this before they or their loved ones are harmed...

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Personally I did not want to continue holding on to a device that could possibly harm me or my family....no matter how small the chance is it's still to high for me.

I think this is a bigger issue than was originally stated and I can only hope that the remaining "rebels" see this before they or their loved ones are harmed...

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+
Using an iPhone 7? Those have exploded too...
Life has a risk, but we still get up and get into the car and drive...

Why can't you all just let this go and let these users use an awesome device, in their opinions it's great, yours, maybe not, just let them be.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Why can't you all just let this go and let these users use an awesome device, in their opinions it's great, yours, maybe not, just let them be.

Sent by my new S7-Edge

If these users are entitled to their opinions then so are we. The Note 7 was an awesome device... key word was. If Samsung has their way soon it'll be completely useless as they attempt to blacklist it. These are extreme measures for a perceived problem. There has to be more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Dumb! It's faulty and could be dangerous to her and others...smh
That's our problem, nobody else's. (It's "claimed" to be faulty, but don't believe everything you read on the internet) EVERYTHING in life could be dangerous to her & others. Since we won't be taking it aboard any flights, it's only dangerous to her, and since she doesn't put it in her pocket, the likelihood of her getting hurt are slim to none. Being that there are hundreds of thousands of Note 7s still being used, (over a million at one point) and there hasn't been a single issue reported since the second recall, we'll take the chance that Samsung was simply being overly cautious with the recall of the replacement devices.
Thank you for your concern though.

S5 tap'n

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Sent by my new S7-Edge
Exactly! Why aren't you guys returning your iPhone 7s? Afterall, the risk IS there as well, so why are you concerned about MY device but not your own? Perhaps it's because there were only a few cases with the iPhone, and not the mostly "unconfirmed" 100 cases. (which is less than .01% sold) Considering that most of the so called "faulty" Note 7s from the first batch weren't returned so they could be verified by Samsung, and only 1 (that I know of) was actually returned from the 2nd batch of replacement devices, we've got a better chance of getting injured in an auto accident.
We appreciate everyone's concern (and bashing), but we'll take our chances. Why this bothers people is beyond me, especially since it doesn't affect any of you in any way. SMH

S5 tap'n

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
As much as I dislike Samsung, they're doing the right thing here for one, and trying to protect their butts from legal suits as well. But if you're willing to risk your face or leg being turned into crispy bacon, that's on you. What Samsung should do is push an update that sends out a one time release of liability on part of their company, that requires the owner to sign with their finger on the touchscreen that absolves Samsung of any wrongdoing should the customer choose to continue to use the device and end up looking like the Phantom of the Opera.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Funny thing, Vepaot, no ones face or butt has been injured due to the N7. The one truck that was supposedly burned due to the N7 was determined to not be caused by the N7. They can't even determined the cause of the supposed fires. Why? Cause they don't have enough of the supposed N7's that caught fire and can't even recreate the situation. As everyone said, you have a far greater risk getting in your car than using a Note 7.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
As much as I dislike Samsung, they're doing the right thing here for one, and trying to protect their butts from legal suits as well. But if you're willing to risk your face or leg being turned into crispy bacon, that's on you. What Samsung should do is push an update that sends out a one time release of liability on part of their company, that requires the owner to sign with their finger on the touchscreen that absolves Samsung of any wrongdoing should the customer choose to continue to use the device and end up looking like the Phantom of the Opera.
We'll be more than happy to sign any agreement that releases Sammy from all liability. I think they should've released something like this instead of pushing an update that stops your device from charging past 60%. They've (Samsung) even gone so far as to shut down and remove the EZ Disabler app from the Play Store, which allows you to disable this 60% battery limit, AND they had the developers banned from the Play Store altogether. That's outrageous! Not that Note 7 Rebels won't put it on their website for people to sideload, but still. Clearly there are enough people out there that are refusing to return their Note 7, just release the waiver for us to sign and be done with it.
....just my 2 cents of course

S5 tap'n

thc1967

Reaction score
T-Mo had them crippled a few days ago. I'm still using mine.

Eventually they'll cripple it enough that I'm forced to return it.

Until then, since I understand statistics and probability, I'll keep using this amazing device - best mobile phone ever produced. Oh, and I won't be putting my food through a blender, either. Because, y'know, you're actually statistically more likely to choke to death during any given meal than for your Note 7 to explode during the same meal. Just sayin'.