Galaxy Nexus headphone jack quality (and Android phones in general)

mzjin

Reaction score
I don't understand why reviews do not bother to assess the most basic essential functions on a media device like on a smartphone.

1) I need the device to work all the time for phone, text and internet functions

2) I need the device to act as a media player with headphones - so it can not have insane background hiss, static etc

3) I need the device to last longer than 5 hours of standby

These are basically essential functions on a phone, and now going from an iPhone 4 to a Droid Razr, I am getting none of these basics that make the device viable. Constant data drop outs, miserable battery life even in 3G only mode (doing absolutely nothing), and a headphone jack that has more base white noise than an old radio.

I am really hoping the Galaxy Nexus does the basics right - who cares about 4G, huge screens this and that if it can't be used well as a good phone, data device, or music player? If Apple is the only company that actually cares about these aspects, then I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may be true that they're probably the only company that really gets "it" - what consumers really want and need, not just what us tech geeks and tinkers want to play around with.

That being said, is ANY REVIEW going to talk about these things? Mention them at all? I mean seriously?

sxm

Reaction score
Moto headphone jacks are horrible as we OG Droid users know.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the good thing about the Iphone is that they've used the same basics for a while now, so they've perfected the essentials which is a good thing. But lets not act like the 4S isn't having severe battery problems right now and the 4 had severe antenna/connectivity problems as well.

Since the other manufacturers are constantly trying to create entirely new devices, they sometimes lack in areas that are important and considered essential.

The data problems are most likely Verizon's network, since it happens over a broad range of 4G LTE devices, so that's not really the phones fault.

I haven't used a Razr for an entire day, so can't comment on the battery life, but you can probably improve it's battery life by tweaking a few things, obviously 4G is a battery killer.

As for the Nexus, the battery is larger, we haven't heard anything about data drops yet, but not many LTE versions have been tested either, so we'll have to see when more reviewers get the Verizon version.

Haven't ever heard of Samsung having a problem with their headphone jacks, so the headphone jack should be good. Motorola has always had a problem with static for some reason, happened with the original Droid, happens with the Bionic and I'm guessing with the Razr as well since I've seen it mentioned more than once now.

As for battery performance as a whole, you have to realize that these high end android devices have larger screens, run 4G LTE and faster CPUs compared to the Iphone, all which are going to hurt battery life.

Maybe the Iphone is better for you right now, although I would wait until they finish fixing the battery issue on the 4S if I were to switch. If a larger screen and ICS isn't that important to you, the 4S is a good phone.

techinv

Reaction score
mzjin, I feel your pain. I've been on a two year quest (on and off) to find decent headphones for my
Android phone that have the same type in-line music controls and mic that the iPhone has had for a while.

As of about a month ago, I found something that I'm finally happy with.

Image S4A Headphones for Android

First the sound quality is really good, maybe just a bit better than the Sennheiser's that I've been using
on various devices for about 5 years now. Second, in-line music controls that work on my Droid Incredible :icon_ banana:.

The controls probably don't work as smoothly as they do on iPhone. The Klipsch controls work in conjunction
with an app so the button presses are being interpreted through software. But.... I'm enjoying the Klipschs more
and more each time I use them and hearing low level details in my music that I haven't heard through other
headphones.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why reviews do not bother to assess the most basic essential functions on a media device like on a smartphone.

1) I need the device to work all the time for phone, text and internet functions

2) I need the device to act as a media player with headphones - so it can not have insane background hiss, static etc

3) I need the device to last longer than 5 hours of standby

These are basically essential functions on a phone, and now going from an iPhone 4 to a Droid Razr, I am getting none of these basics that make the device viable. Constant data drop outs, miserable battery life even in 3G only mode (doing absolutely nothing), and a headphone jack that has more base white noise than an old radio.

I am really hoping the Galaxy Nexus does the basics right - who cares about 4G, huge screens this and that if it can't be used well as a good phone, data device, or music player? If Apple is the only company that actually cares about these aspects, then I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may be true that they're probably the only company that really gets "it" - what consumers really want and need, not just what us tech geeks and tinkers want to play around with.

That being said, is ANY REVIEW going to talk about these things? Mention them at all? I mean seriously?
should have got rezound.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
should have got rezound.

I have not had any of these problems with my bionic... I know a lot of people have had bigger problems than i have had...
but you gotta understand with verizon right now the network is constantly expanding... this is what happens when you go to brand new things or technologies..most of time these people are complaining about data drops for the rzr and the motorola bonic is because the network is actually down or being expanded... then people scream all why isn't my 3 g working then when I'm not even in a 4 g area!?! And it just so happens that even when there is problem on 4 g or 3g ...4 g phones seem to be loosing data whether or not your in a 3 or 4 g area.. it's just something verizon Has to work on it self... Remember lte services are brand new and if you want the best of the best you have today...you have deal with brand new problems in bugs ..that's just the way technology is man get use to it...nature of the beast if u will. And like mentioned above let's not act like the 4s isnt having MAJOR battery problems right now or also stated above that the iphone 4 didn't have the death grip antenna problem where you would lose in drop calls severely when the phone was held or cupped in a hand. It's all part of the deal with having the best technology out there.. Remember. 2-3 months ago all people to talk about was the vigor and how great it was gonna b and now it comes out as the rezound and I've barely heard a buzz about it... it's just the way that the market moves these days I tell ya but 1 thing that thing constant with me is how good my bionic has been and I have a stock bionic rooted and Ive played with a rezound n rzr the other day and my bionic felt snappier than both the devices. But hey that's only my opinion.. BUT.....do yourself a favor stick around the droid market for a while and see how the nexus is maybe try a device or 2 before you go right back to the darkside because I'll tell you what.. 67% of phone users in the world arrnt droid users because it sucks... thats for sure lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

faust0230

Reaction score
I have not had any of these problems with my bionic... I know a lot of people have had bigger problems than i have had...
but you gotta understand with verizon right now the network is constantly expanding... this is what happens when you go to brand new things or technologies..most of time these people are complaining about data drops for the rzr and the motorola bonic is because the network is actually down or being expanded... then people scream all why isn't my 3 g working then when I'm not even in a 4 g area!?! And it just so happens that even when there is problem on 4 g or 3g ...4 g phones seem to be loosing data whether or not your in a 3 or 4 g area.. it's just something verizon Has to work on it self... Remember lte services are brand new and if you want the best of the best you have today...you have deal with brand new problems in bugs ..that's just the way technology is man get use to it...nature of the beast if u will. And like mentioned above let's not act like the 4s isnt having MAJOR battery problems right now or also stated above that the iphone 4 didn't have the death grip antenna problem where you would lose in drop calls severely when the phone was held or cupped in a hand. It's all part of the deal with having the best technology out there.. Remember. 2-3 months ago all people to talk about was the vigor and how great it was gonna b and now it comes out as the rezound and I've barely heard a buzz about it... it's just the way that the market moves these days I tell ya but 1 thing that thing constant with me is how good my bionic has been and I have a stock bionic rooted and Ive played with a rezound n rzr the other day and my bionic felt snappier than both the devices. But hey that's only my opinion.. BUT.....do yourself a favor stick around the droid market for a while and see how the nexus is maybe try a device or 2 before you go right back to the darkside because I'll tell you what.. 67% of phone users in the world arrnt droid users because it sucks... thats for sure lol.

+1 to everything said here...its funny how these boards are just full ofpeople wanting to gripe about this or that. Honestly u r always going to find a problem w ur device because nothing is perfect...if there was a perfect phone everyone would have that phone. I too have played with a razr and a rezound and have found my bionic to just feel better overall. I have had none if the problems that I see around here - of course that is my opinion but to me that is all that counts.....good luck on ur next phone. I know ill be happy w mine fornext the next two years.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
people are more caught up on names and numbers over actual functionality ... people anoint phones the best before they even get turned on by a user

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ex0rcist

Reaction score
people are more caught up on names and numbers over actual functionality ... people anoint phones the best before they even get turned on by a user

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Agreed. And +1. Users haven't even touched gnex yet and its the most amazing phone ever cracks me up.

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
Well the good thing about the Iphone is that they've used the same basics for a while now, so they've perfected the essentials which is a good thing. But lets not act like the 4S isn't having severe battery problems right now and the 4 had severe antenna/connectivity problems as well.

Since the other manufacturers are constantly trying to create entirely new devices, they sometimes lack in areas that are important and considered essential.

The data problems are most likely Verizon's network, since it happens over a broad range of 4G LTE devices, so that's not really the phones fault.

I haven't used a Razr for an entire day, so can't comment on the battery life, but you can probably improve it's battery life by tweaking a few things, obviously 4G is a battery killer.

As for the Nexus, the battery is larger, we haven't heard anything about data drops yet, but not many LTE versions have been tested either, so we'll have to see when more reviewers get the Verizon version.

Haven't ever heard of Samsung having a problem with their headphone jacks, so the headphone jack should be good. Motorola has always had a problem with static for some reason, happened with the original Droid, happens with the Bionic and I'm guessing with the Razr as well since I've seen it mentioned more than once now.

As for battery performance as a whole, you have to realize that these high end android devices have larger screens, run 4G LTE and faster CPUs compared to the Iphone, all which are going to hurt battery life.

Maybe the Iphone is better for you right now, although I would wait until they finish fixing the battery issue on the 4S if I were to switch. If a larger screen and ICS isn't that important to you, the 4S is a good phone.

Well, yes, the iPhone has longer product cycles, but the iPhone has never had these basic issues like standby battery and headphone jack quality, not even on the iPhone 1.

I own an iPhone 4 and I don't have battery life issues under IOS5. It seems to be limited to small group of users and their usage or sync behaviors. That's not at all similar to my Razr which I have doing absolutely nothing but idling and draining battery (All radios offs except 3G... seriously?). As a 3G phone, the Razr is a horrible device since it appears to need charging constantly. As a 4G device, forget it about it, expect to charge it in your car, at work, and at home any chance you get.

I'm going to give Galaxy Nexus a chance - and I mean let's face it, there's only one thing I actually want out of these phones I can't have a better experience on on an iPhone 4S - 4G and (maybe larger display). The iPhone does EVERYTHING else better. It's going to take this huge Android 4.0 upgrade to even get the device to be graphically smooth, something iPhones have been doing for years now (GPU acceleration).

I'm glad Android is finally catching up out of its beta-product feeling phase, but I'm also concerned right now Google needs to start manufacturing their own phones because clearly, Motorola, HTC and Samsung are going to continue making hunks of plastic with poor quality components like headphone jacks! Ugh!

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Well, yes, the iPhone has longer product cycles, but the iPhone has never had these basic issues like standby battery and headphone jack quality, not even on the iPhone 1.

I own an iPhone 4 and I don't have battery life issues under IOS5. It seems to be limited to small group of users and their usage or sync behaviors. That's not at all similar to my Razr which I have doing absolutely nothing but idling and draining battery (All radios offs except 3G... seriously?). As a 3G phone, the Razr is a horrible device since it appears to need charging constantly. As a 4G device, forget it about it, expect to charge it in your car, at work, and at home any chance you get.

I'm going to give Galaxy Nexus a chance - and I mean let's face it, there's only one thing I actually want out of these phones I can't have a better experience on on an iPhone 4S - 4G and (maybe larger display). The iPhone does EVERYTHING else better. It's going to take this huge Android 4.0 upgrade to even get the device to be graphically smooth, something iPhones have been doing for years now (GPU acceleration).

I'm glad Android is finally catching up out of its beta-product feeling phase, but I'm also concerned right now Google needs to start manufacturing their own phones because clearly, Motorola, HTC and Samsung are going to continue making hunks of plastic with poor quality components like headphone jacks! Ugh!

Apple fanboy alert!! Lol there are several droids that are wayyyy more powerful than ur already very aged iphone4 hardware.. and my bionic is waaaay smoother than my friendz iphones. By faaarr

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
Apple fanboy alert!! Lol there are several droids that are wayyyy more powerful than ur already very aged iphone4 hardware.. and my bionic is waaaay smoother than my friendz iphones. By faaarr

Who are you trying to kid? I am using a FASTER Droid Razr next to my deactivated iPhone 4 (not even an S).

Jamar

Reaction score
I have confidence in the GN, at least, with your headphone problem. Samsung's been producing media devices with headphones for decades so I'm sure they've got a leg up over Motorola in that department.

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
I have confidence in the GN, at least, with your headphone problem. Samsung's been producing media devices with headphones for decades so I'm sure they've got a leg up over Motorola in that department.

That's my hope, along with the ability to swap out batteries that will help with battery life issues and finally GPU acceleration in ICS that will let me have my Verizon 4G and eat it too.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Who are you trying to kid? I am using a FASTER Droid Razr next to my deactivated iPhone 4 (not even an S).

I have yet to see a snappier rzr than my bionic... if i had.. i would have bought one. The rzr sufferz from jitters and laggyness..idk why its the same phone sans the pentile amoled screen.. but take A look at any bionic thread concerning this... even htc rezound owners agree... im just saying.. iphone is loosing ground to droid quick. And its not because iphone does "EVERYTHING BETTER". Thats for sure. Consider your surroundings. U hate ur rzr? Bring it back.. turn ur obsolete phone back on and enjoy. Geez not that hard.. if your not willing to deal with some bugs and some things that need to be worked out with brand new technology then I don't know why you're even here..? just stick to your iphone 4 and you won't have any probs ...oh wait..but let us not forget that is the same phone that had the worst antenna problems I've ever seen in my life... or did everyone forget about that?

They're bugs guys verizon and Motorola will get them figured out, it's only software issues trust me..be patient