Headphone Noise/Static/Hum

Detonation

Reaction score
Headphone Background Noise (Hiss/Hum)

I'm trying to get rid of my iPod and use my Droid Incredible as an mp3 player so I only have to carry around one device. My problem, however, is that when listening to music (or any audio really) on my Droid, there is some slight background noise, similar to the faint hum/hiss you get when listening to an old cassette. Its nothing that loud...you can only hear it during quiet parts or silence. When I pause a song, the noise remains for a couple seconds, then stops...so I'm guessing whenever the headphone amplifier is active, it produces the noise. The noise is also present even when the volume is zero.

Is this normal for Droid's or do I have a defective chip/jack? All other mp3 players I've ever owned have had crystal clear audio (silence is dead silent) so if this is normal than its a deal breaker for me.

(I know there are many topics out there about headphone issues, but those all seems to deal with a bad physical headphone jack and/or clicking/popping/etc)

ballmore

Reaction score
have you tried using different headphones? The only time that I have a problem like that is when I'm using cheap headphones or when the plug isn't all the way in the jack. I really hope that it's not the phone cuz that would really suck. I'm wearing headphones right now and I just paused the music and turned down the volume and I don't have any problems. I am however using my favorite headphones right now though.

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
Bump. No one else has this problem? I know its not my headphones or music.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
only time I have issues is when I'm charging my phone at the same time I'm listening to something. When driving, charging and listening to music through the car stereo, it hums with the engine rpms

magicboy

Reaction score
droid x zeron volumn noise

I also have this problem. I'm using UE earphone(>200USD... I don't think the earphone is the problem..)

still don't know why...
Bump. No one else has this problem? I know its not my headphones or music.

Penguissimo

Reaction score
I too have this on my DInc, using Etymotic ER-6i earphones. The issue shows up because these headphones (as well as other popular high-end earbuds like UEs or Shures) tend to have fairly low impedance, which means (basically) that they're more sensitive and will thus produce lower-volume portions of the signal. You can fix the issue by either switching to higher-impedance headphones, or by introducing something into the signal chain that will increase the overall impedance:

Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones : Headphones | RadioShack.com

You should be able to find something like this at Best Buy or Radio Shack or even Wal-Mart for under $10. It may seem counterintuitive, but if you turn down the volume on this thing and turn up the media volume on your phone, you can find that crystal-clear sound you're looking for.

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I've been living with the hum for now (its only a problem at work which is when I listen at the lowest volume) but for as cheap as this solution is, I might as well pick up one and keep it at my desk.