Should music player sound crystal clear?

jsb432

Reaction score
This may sound like a silly question...but how good should the audio quality be coming out of the Droid?? I ask because I have static/hiss on everything I play, whether it's a basic mp3 or a lossless, through the music player or from Pandora (high quality).

Granted, it's not like all I hear is static, for the most part the music sounds okay - but the noise is there underneath the song. It's easiest to hear it in very quiet parts of a song, or just after a song ends.

Another way to hear it is to turn down the volume to it's lowest setting, and you'll hear the static/hiss quite clearly. BTW, I get it on the Droid speaker itself, or on external speakers connected via the headphone jack.

This has happened on all 3 Droids I've had AND the several phones I've tried in 2 VZW stores. Am I just being too critical?

Bambamm

Reaction score
Well, I've played the music player and pandora through my Car Stereo and it's PHREAKIN SWEET! I don't have any noise interference either. It's great. I plug the 3.5mm plug into the Auxillary input of the Deck and I'm done! I DON'T HAVE TO USE BLUETOOTH ANYMORE EITHER, cause the stereo has the speakers and the mic off the phone is great.

Maybe try downloading some songs from Amazon MP3 app and see how they sound then.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mine has clean audio whether through the speakers, plug in earbuds (Etymotic ER-4P) or my new Sony Bluetooth Earbuds. :motdroidhoriz:

coolkidd

Reaction score
better check your mp3 quality.... I have 192kbps and it sounds freaking awesome (I maybe a little bias but compared to my iPod touch 3G, Droid has a better speaker in my opinion).

OP
J

jsb432

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, mp3 quality was the first thing I checked. I rip most things at 192, but just to double check, I ripped some of the same songs into lossless wav's (1,410kbps) and it made no difference. FWIW, it's there when I'm listening to Pandora (standard or HQ) as well - but I haven't checked Pandora in a couple of days because I wiped all apps off the last two phones to rule out the "something you put on the device must be causing the problem" excuse. Just a clean Android OS, a few tunes, and my Google account on the device.

Just curious, if you play something through the music player on the Droid speaker, turn the volume all the way down (so the music isn't audible) and then hold the Droid speaker right to your ear...do you hear some static/hiss, or is it completely dead silent??

OP
J

jsb432

Reaction score
That's great Bayou, thank you for checking that and confirming. I can't imagine with the entire supply chain from China to Massachusetts, if it's even possible that a whole boatload (pun intended :) of phones with whatever problem my phones have had all came to this area?!?! Seems highly unlikely, but as I mentioned, I heard the static on several phones in VZW stores (using both music from my SD card, and the music already on SD cards in the display phones).

Anyway, going to try a 4th Droid tomorrow - wish I could get one from a different region of the country, just to improve my odds...

tktouch12

Reaction score
better check your mp3 quality.... I have 192kbps and it sounds freaking awesome (I maybe a little bias but compared to my iPod touch 3G, Droid has a better speaker in my opinion).
really? better than your ipod?

i'm worried that my droid will have bad sound quality. if it does should i keep returning them til i get one that sounds good?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with mine, sounds quiet most of the time. When i have the volume all the way up, it does make the speaker sound alittle strange, so i turn it down 1 notch and that solves it.

tktouch12

Reaction score
Droid sound quality is MUCH better than my 32gig Touch...

really? i'm having trouble understanding this, some people say it crackles a ton, some say its really quite and some ^ say its great. i just hope mine will be a good one

bluedust

Reaction score
Sound is clear on my headphones and in my car. MP3s are from 192 - 320.

What I do is turn the volume on the phone down while turning it up on my car stereo.

Funky145

Reaction score
I got the VZW car dock for Xmas and used it for the first time today. My Droid is connected to the audio system via the 3.5mm jack and I also have it connected to the car charger. I noticed that when the USB port is connected, I get additional noise or his. When I disconnect the charger from the Droid, the hiss goes away.

Has anyone else experienced this?

JCthrills

Reaction score
I get great sound quality from my Droid on everything except my car stereo. I haver a Sony Explod with RCA aux line's & I use a 3.5 to RCA cord & the sound is very poor compared to any other form of listening to music. I have a set of Bose headphones from Verizon & they are amazing coupled with iMusic to download all those great songs for research purposes only :)