G-mail account HELP PLEASE

mg1cigar

Reaction score
I call Verizon 800# yesterday 10/15/10 needing to change my G-mail address. So the girl tells me exactly how to go about it, and that I should go online to "settings" first. I nuke my previous g-mail account open the new one that I want. I go to my phone to do the same. Added my new account first, then tried to delete my old one. Can't delete my old e-mail unless I reset my phone to factory settings. If the Verizon girl told me this would happen I would have simply had mail forwarded to the new address.
Anyone have any ideas? If I have to reset to factory settings will I loose 2.2 and flash?
Thx

C

cdexsw

not sure if i am understanding your question and/or situation. i think you are saying you want to use a different email address for your phone?

1] backup all of your contacts. you can do this by going to your contacts screen and press the menu/softkey. choose import/export. then select export to SDcard.

1a] i would also (on a computer) log into your google account (the one your phone is currently using) and backup your contacts.
1b] to do this, after you log in in the upper left corner under the Gmail logo you will see mail, contacts, tasks. click on contacts. you will now be in the contact manger. here click the square box to select all your contacts, then under more actions choose export. a dialog box asking for your instructions appears make sure you save as a "Google CVS". it will export your contacts as google.csv onto your computer. if you has troubles finding it use your search feature.

2] in order to use a a different email for your phones settings and stuff you will need to reset it. But, if you do a soft-reset in you settings menu, your apps will still be available in you market under downloads but you will have to setup ringtones and anything else custom you had.

3] after you sign in with a new google email try to import your contacts that you saved to your sdcard first and see if it imports all of your contacts. if it does not work then put the google.cvs file from your pc onto your sdcard. import that into your contacts and you should be set.

Note: reseting your phone should not not lose 2.2 - if you do a soft-reset from the settings menu. you can always re-download flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

mg1cigar

Reaction score
RodRoc----Thanks for the info - going to finally reset my phone today.
I was trying to say, but I was so frustrated with Verizon it looks like I made no sense.
When I called the Verizon 800# they told me I was able to delete my Gmail account online(Google) then go back to my phone and delete the gmail account off my phone then open a new gmail account. After trying to delete the account from my phone a window pops up saying "to delete an email account you have to reset your phone to it's factory settings", the girl from Verizon never told that a factory reset had to be done on my phone. She made it seem as if all I had to do was go to Google delete the account, then go to my phone and delete it from there also, then create a new gmail account. NOT CORRECT!!
I've tried to get back into the deleted account - Google states account not available, so there's no getting into that account.
Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
Mike

OP
M

mg1cigar

Reaction score
Al worked well, backedup my info to both my SD card and my computer.
Thanks again

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

PrincessDaisy42

Reaction score
OHH. I think this might be the thread I've been searching the internet for.

I have a Droid X. I have no problems with it whatsoever - Jarvis and I are quite good friends. However, my poor gmail account is flooded with junk mail and spam and a bitter ex-boyfriend who knows my password. I realize I could change my password and perhaps try to find more effective ways to filter my email, but so far, I can't seem to keep the junk mail under control. I keep reporting things as spam, but it doesn't help.

I feel like the best solution is a new gmail account. I've made a new one and entered all my email contacts in. But, those oh-so-helpful people at Verizon setup my contacts in the first place, so I'm positively confused about how to go about not-losing everything if I have to reset things. I also have a few paid applications - I get the feeling if I change my gmail account, my paid-apps shall go away?

I have backup assistant installed and recently synced if that helps anything. I'm generally confused, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to go about fixing it. The steps that were posted in the thread already seem to be the thing to do. I'm just worried I'll somehow break my phone and lose all my contacts.