Future All Apps to SD Support?

rtlange268

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone out there knew if there would be future support of moving all downloaded applications to the SD card (like on the iPhone). I ask this because I have a number of apps downloaded on my Motorola Droid but I always seem to get stuck choosing between which apps to update and leave alone due to storage space. I've moved every SD card capable app to the SD card already, but even doing that I still have about 25 apps to be updated in the Android market with only about 2 MB of interal phone storage left. I really just want to press Update All but I feel like my phone might blow up or something with that many any apps downloading at once :icon_eek:. So back to my original question.. does anyone know if it will one day be possible to move all applications to the SD card, or are we going to have to keep on waiting for individual app developers to make the application itself SD card friendly? Thanks in advance

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt it without major changes to the OS. Consider that nothing on your SD card is accessible while the card is mounted. How you write/read data needed by running apps when their storage is gone? How do you prevent data corruption? That's one reason why Touchdown, for example, won't store data on the SD card. Also, the SD card isn't immediately available on startup. There are a lot of loose ends to deal with for App2SD to be standard for all apps.

I don't get the "like iPhone" comment. The iPhone doesn't have an SD card. It's apples and oranges.