funny google wallet story

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Went thru drive thru at McDonald, got 6 bucks worth of stuff. No cash and didn't want to charge 6 bucks so I thought hey I have a balance on gw why not use it. Got to the window, gave my phone to the cashier, he looked at me like wth? He went to grab someone else they came back and try to understand it. I keep saying tap the phone to the red pad. They keep tapping my screen instead. They called a 3rd person now she tries to do it. Hovering it over the pad. I said touch the phone to the pad not touch my screen. 5mins now (no one was behind so I figure I will do community service and teach about the NFC lol). I say give me the phone and proceed to show them what I meant by touching the phone to the pad. They were like oh...gave it another try. Finally scan but they accidentally disable my gw card. I just laugh and finally said its OK here is my credit card. Took like a good 10 mins. The girl was a little annoy but I want to educate them. Hahaha

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Yeah, I wouldve been pissed if I was the guy behind you in line. Don't do that at a drive thru. Give the "education" inside at the register. Wallet is meant to speed up purchases...not hinder them.

OP
N

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldve been pissed if I was the guy behind you in line. Don't do that at a drive thru. Give the "education" inside at the register. Wallet is meant to speed up purchases...not hinder them.

haha...yeah but i was the only person in line. im not the inconsiderate type. :)

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I had a fun Google Wallet situation at a gas station a few weeks back.

My wife and I were on a short vacation, and we needed gas. I pull up to the pump, ask my wife to pump while I walk into the store and get drinks and snacks. I forgot I handed my wife my wallet earlier, so all I had on me were my car keys and my phone. Rather than braving the weather, this was about a month ago and was hot outside, I got the genius idea to use my GN. The lady rings me up, and says "$7". I hand her my phone. She looks at it and then at me clearly confused. She made a joke saying she thinks my phone is worth more than $7 or whatever the total was and that she only accepts cash or charge (perhaps some others I don't remember). I say, "You have Google Wallet support here *pointing to the sign* you just put my phone on that, *point to their NFC* and it should complete the transaction." She still had a super confused look on her face, that was slowly transitioning to a scared look of sorts. I think she thought I was trying to rob her with my phone or something.

To make the situation a bit better, as she is standing there holding my phone trying to figure out what in the world is going on, my phone vibrated. My wife was calling, attempting to tell me that I had left my wallet in the car. "Duh..." The clerk definitely wasn't too sure about putting my phone anywhere near the cash register, which is where the pad was.

So I tell the clerk I will go get my wallet from the car and pay another way, it isn't a big deal. I grab my phone walk back out to my car, get my wallet from my wife. On my way back, I notice the lady is on the phone and looking at me still with that kinda horrified look. As a person that always thinks the worst of things, I am thinking she is calling the cops. I am envisioning cops showing up to arrest me, for trying to rob the convenience store with my phone.

Fortunately she wasn't dialing 9-1-1, she was calling a man, whom I assume was her boss. The lady puts the phone on speaker phone, and her boss apologizes to me. He tells her to take my drinks off of the transaction for my troubles. He then tells her how to complete the transaction. The lady starts laughing a bit, as a sight of relief. She confesses to me that she really did think think that I was trying to do some sort of theft. And that she did think about calling the cops. She said that if the boss hadn't answered the phone, she probably would have phoned the police.

ambrown

Reaction score
From both of these stories I think it sounds a little confusing to have to hand your phone to the cashier. Why don't they place the NFC pad closer to the customer so they can do the tap and transaction? Most places now seem to have a credit card reader in reach of the customer making it so the cashier never even has to touch the credit card, so why not the same with NFC? Anyway, thats my rant on this subject.

Sent from my Droid Incredible (2.3.4) on the Droid Forums app.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
From both of these stories I think it sounds a little confusing to have to hand your phone to the cashier. Why don't they place the NFC pad closer to the customer so they can do the tap and transaction? Most places now seem to have a credit card reader in reach of the customer making it so the cashier never even has to touch the credit card, so why not the same with NFC? Anyway, thats my rant on this subject.

I imagine that is what they had in mind, as that would make the most sense. The gas station I was at wasn't the fanciest place in the world. I was a little surprised to see they had it. Most other places I have gone have had the NFC pad close to where you swipe your credit card. But I have been to others that also have the NFC behind the counter, or at least not in easy reach to the customer.

ambrown

Reaction score
cupfulloflol said:
I imagine that is what they had in mind, as that would make the most sense. The gas station I was at wasn't the fanciest place in the world. I was a little surprised to see they had it. Most other places I have gone have had the NFC pad close to where you swipe your credit card. But I have been to others that also have the NFC behind the counter, or at least not in easy reach to the customer.

That's what would make the most sense, and really seems to be the whole point of NFC payment methods anyway. Oh well, it's still a new thing for a lot of retailers and over time it'll get better as everyone becomes more aware of NFC.

OP
N

ntrddragn

Reaction score
cupfulloflol said:

Fortunately she wasn't dialing 9-1-1, she was calling a man, whom I assume was her boss. The lady puts the phone on speaker phone, and her boss apologizes to me. He tells her to take my drinks off of the transaction for my troubles. He then tells her how to complete the transaction. The lady starts laughing a bit, as a sight of relief. She confesses to me that she really did think think that I was trying to do some sort of theft. And that she did think about calling the cops. She said that if the boss hadn't answered the phone, she probably would have phoned the police.

Lol...at least u got free drinks.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Every single PayPass I have seen has been in front of the register attached to a credit card reader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly v3.4!

Reaction score
Does VZW have an official app out yet?

Also, has there been a fix for the "secure element" lock/disable/freeze issue that occurred a while ago?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Briankbl said:
Every single PayPass I have seen has been in front of the register attached to a credit card reader.

Same here. I'd be a bit leary of handing my phone over to a "stranger".

Ed270

Reaction score
ntrddragn said:
Went thru drive thru at McDonald, got 6 bucks worth of stuff. No cash and didn't want to charge 6 bucks so I thought hey I have a balance on gw why not use it. Got to the window, gave my phone to the cashier, he looked at me like wth? He went to grab someone else they came back and try to understand it. I keep saying tap the phone to the red pad. They keep tapping my screen instead. They called a 3rd person now she tries to do it. Hovering it over the pad. I said touch the phone to the pad not touch my screen. 5mins now (no one was behind so I figure I will do community service and teach about the NFC lol). I say give me the phone and proceed to show them what I meant by touching the phone to the pad. They were like oh...gave it another try. Finally scan but they accidentally disable my gw card. I just laugh and finally said its OK here is my credit card. Took like a good 10 mins. The girl was a little annoy but I want to educate them. Hahaha

I bet they were hating you for blowing there "average time" for each customer. Tee hee hee

OP
N

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Ed270 said:
I bet they were hating you for blowing there "average time" for each customer. Tee hee hee

Lol...u know I forgot about that. Opps

Ed270

Reaction score
ntrddragn said:
Lol...u know I forgot about that. Opps

Frankly,I wish they would do away with that. It is probably the reason my order is screwed up most of the time