Full Verizon CES 2011 Press Release Recap

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon_android_3.jpg

Here's a huge hunk of juicy stuff from Big Red! They released a recap press release on all the super-tech they announced at CES. I'll give you some highlights, then point you in the direction of the full presser.
Smartphones

* HTC ThunderBolt (exclusive to Verizon Wireless) – HTC Sense 2.0, Skype mobile™ with video, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 4.3” WVGA display, Dolby surround sound, 8-megapixel camera and HD video recording, wireless DLNA capability.
* LG Revolution – HD support for streaming, playing and recording video, large 4.3-inch touch screen, Android™ 2.2, video telephony support with front-facing camera and mobile hotspot capability to share a 4G connection with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
* DROID Bionic 4G – Android with Adobe® Flash® and HTML5, front-facing VGA camera and See What I See video feature, rear-facing 8-megapixel camera, 4.3-inch HD quality screen, HDMI connectivity, dual-core 1GHz processor, 512 DDR2 RAM.
* Samsung 4G LTE Smartphone – Android 2.2, Google Mobile services, including Google Search™, Google Maps™ and Gmail™, YouTube™, brilliant 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus touch screen display, powerful 1GHz application processor, HTML5 Web browser, rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera to support video chat capabilities, Samsung Social Hub and Media Hub.

Tablets

* Motorola XOOM – 10.1-inch HD 4G LTE upgradable tablet, Android™ Honeycomb, 1080p HD video, Adobe® Flash® Player, front-facing 2-megapixel camera for video chats and 5-megapixel camera to capture video in 720P HD. Mobile hotspot capability provides connection for up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
* 4G LTE-enabled Samsung Galaxy Tab™ – 7-inch enhanced TFT display with 1024 x 600 WSVGA resolution, Android 2.2, Adobe® Flash® 10.1, 1.2GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird application processor, rear-facing 5-megapixel camera and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera and camcorder enable video chat capabilities.

Wow! Verizon is showering us with goodies this year. Did Christmas come late or early? If they share anything else with us, we'll be sure to pass it on to you guys. Click here for the full press release.

by dgstorm

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt has a front face camera? If it does, it's definitely my next upgrade!

Reaction score
I was expecting much more from Verizon's CES lineup. Only decent phone out of the lot is the Bionic and that is only going to be a decent phone if the bootloader is unlocked and it ships with vanilla android instead of motoblur.

dmdj232

Reaction score
Why should we have to wait so long for a 4G phone? How can you have a brand new network and no phones to put on it?

IanG

Reaction score
Why should we have to wait so long for a 4G phone? How can you have a brand new network and no phones to put on it?

Because it's not just phones on Verizons network? It was just released less than 30 days ago man, take a chill pill. Verizon already has usb modems that connect to 4G LTE.

Reaction score
Wow indeed. A round of craptacular phones for VZW, back to the pre-droid days where verizon trails behind really bad with their phone lineups. Two (maybe 3 if you include LG's phone) have single core processors still, and the only phone featuring dual core has a whopping 512MB of RAM!

That's it, I'm buying an iPhone and going to AT&T. At least that way I'm not getting whatever moto/htc/LG feel like pinching out to VZW.

PeDe7

Reaction score
still waiting for a stock android Droid phone.. as much as i want the Droid Bionic, Motoblur is a major turn off for me but i'd get a phone in a heart beat with those type of specs

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon is dropping the ball IMO with their lineup.

Looks like AT&T and T-Mobile are gonna have the real 'super' phones for a bit.

Me no likey :(

loki993

Reaction score

Because it's not just phones on Verizons network? It was just released less than 30 days ago man, take a chill pill. Verizon already has usb modems that connect to 4G LTE.

I agree with him though. It wasnt like this was some suprise. They have known they were launching the new network. They should have had at least one phone ready at or near launch. Not making us wait until q2 whould could be as late as june or july.

coondogg97

Reaction score
Wow, for such a pro-Verizon forum I cant believe all the hate.

I didn't think it was bad actually. For the first time in a long time I have doubts about getting the iPhone if Apple announces it next month.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, for such a pro-Verizon forum I cant believe all the hate.

I didn't think it was bad actually. For the first time in a long time I have doubts about getting the iPhone if Apple announces it next month.

Not so much hate, as disappointment :icon_eek:

We tend to expect only the best from VZW and it just seems as if they didn't have all their ducks in a row this time.

That's all :) We're still pro-VZW

Reaction score
Almost no load on their LTE network allows Verizon to work out the kinks before everyone and their grandma has an LTE equipped phone and is going through data faster than a fat kid goes through a box of Oreos. I don't mind the wait as long as it means I will get a phone in a month or two that has very reliable 4g connections (yes I live in one of the 4g launch areas).

dmdj232

Reaction score

I agree with him though. It wasnt like this was some suprise. They have known they were launching the new network. They should have had at least one phone ready at or near launch. Not making us wait until q2 whould could be as late as june or july.
EXACTLY! They have been building the network for 3 yrs. As I'm always praising Verizon's Customer Service I was very surprised with the delay of ANY 4G Phones