Full LG Ally Specs Released

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-lg-ally-bgr.jpg

BGR is first to release the complete specs of Verizon's newest Android phone expected to hit stores May 20th. The Ally looks to be a mid-range contender with the Motorola Devour and HTC Eris but with some features that should put it on top. The phone will launch with Android 2.1, 600 MHz Processor, 3.2" TFT display, 3.2mp auto focus camera and a slide out full qwerty keyboard. Pricing has yet to be announced, but we would guess to see it in the $99-$149 range with a new contract. There has also been no mention of whether Verizon will include this in their Droid lineup as the Droid Ally or let it stand alone. Pre-orders are scheduled to begin May 13th, so stay tuned for more information!

Check out the full details below:
  • 800/1900 MHz CDMA, EVDO Rev A
  • MSM7627, 600MHz processor
  • Memory: ROM 512MB, RAM 256MB
  • 3.2″ Touch Screen, 800 x 480 Pixels, 262K Color TFT
  • Slide-Out QWERTY Keyboard
  • BLUETOOTH 2.1 + EDR
  • 3.2 Megapixel with Autofocus and Flash; Dedicated Camera/Video Key
  • 3.5mm Headset Jack
  • Android 2.1 OS; Google Experience Device
  • LG Widgets including calendar widget, Weather+time, Socialite widget
  • Integrated Google and Facebook Contacts in LG Socialite
  • Push Gmail and Exchange, Google Calendar
  • 4GB microSD pre-installed
  • Wi-Fi
  • S-GPS and aGPS Capable
  • Speakerphone MP3 Ringtones (Embedded Ringtones, Vibrating Alerts, and Silent)
  • Visual Voice Mail Capable
  • Google Apps include Google Search;
  • Google Maps with Navigation Beta, Transit, and Wikipedia Information;
  • Google Talk with Presence; Gmail; YouTube™; Latitude; Google Calendar
  • 1000s of Apps and 100s of Widgets Available in Android Market
  • Android Webkit HTML5-based Browser
  • Google Over the Air Updates
  • Dimensions: 4.56″ (H) x 2.22″ (W) x 0.62″ (D)
  • Weight: 5.57 oz.
  • Usage Time: Up to 450 mins or Standby Time: Up to 500 hr

Source: LG Ally pre-orders begin May 13th, available in all channels on May 20th Boy Genius Report

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
Why are specific keys listed as features?
"Now with spacebar"
"Shift key not included"

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone compare it to the Eris/Devour and consider it low end?

This thing is seriously closer to the Droid than it is the two "baby" Androids. The ROM/RAM is the same as the Droid, the processor is 50mhz faster (comparing stock!), the camera has a flash, and it ships with 2.1 and no BLUR or Sense.

Given it probably isn't as heavy duty and doesn't have a second graphics chip like the Droid, I still think it is closer to a Droid specs-wise than it is to a Devour or Eris.

I can definitely say I'm jealous of that keyboard. At least from the looks of it, who knows how it will feel in person though.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm assuming this to be the entry Android phone for LG in the US... although it may be "closer" to the Moto Droid in terms of the cpu and the "google experience", its specs are outdated and certainly not cutting-edge.

i think LG dropped the ball with this one... the design itself is okay, but the internals fail to impress...

Darkseider

Reaction score

This thing is seriously closer to the Droid than it is the two "baby" Androids. The ROM/RAM is the same as the Droid, the processor is 50mhz faster (comparing stock!), the camera has a flash, and it ships with 2.1 and no BLUR or Sense.

Given it probably isn't as heavy duty and doesn't have a second graphics chip like the Droid, I still think it is closer to a Droid specs-wise than it is to a Devour or Eris.

I can definitely say I'm jealous of that keyboard. At least from the looks of it, who knows how it will feel in person though.

Because it is identical to the Devour as far as processor AND memory. Same processor, same ROM, same RAM. Damned near an identical phone except for the camera flash. Hell the Devour has a bigger screen.

Motorola DEVOUR A555 (Motorola Calgary) Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... wonder if my oldest daughter wants to dump her Storm for this? Based on the specs it's like an Eris on steroids.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score

Because it is identical to the Devour as far as processor AND memory. Same processor, same ROM, same RAM. Damned near an identical phone except for the camera flash. Hell the Devour has a bigger screen.

Motorola DEVOUR A555 (Motorola Calgary) Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

The specs you posted says that the Devours screen is .1" smaller and has a resolution of 320 x 480. How is that bigger in any way lol.

I'm not saying it will compete with the Droid or Incredible, not at all. It just seems with the higher res screen, better camera, and whatnot that it is already above the Eris/Devour.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Damnit can't edit? Anyway. The Eris although classified as a "BABY" Android has a very similar processor from the same 76xx line. Although not quite as powerful as the one in the Ally it is still very competent. Not to mention that it also has a 5MP camera and the same size display and more RAM, 288 RAM to the 256 of the Ally.

On the comment above with the Devour having a larger display I was off. It has a slightly SMALLER display than the Ally but otherwise everything is identical except for the camera flash and the version of Android on the device.

So don't be too quick to dismiss the Eris and the Devour. When they receive their 2.1 updates they will both be in the same league as the Ally.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife has an Eris and I like the little guy. I'm not dismissing them as crap by any means.

I suppose I should stop thinking simply by numbers. The Ally is 600mhz, the Droid is 550mhz, but that could be like comparing a 1ghz mobile netbook processor with a 1ghz quad core LOL

I'm not trying to talk down any phones, I like them all honestly, the more the merrier. I just think the Ally will be nicer than the Eris/Devour. Even if just because of its nicer resolution!

doublejack

Reaction score
My wife has an Eris and I like the little guy. I'm not dismissing them as crap by any means.

I suppose I should stop thinking simply by numbers. The Ally is 600mhz, the Droid is 550mhz, but that could be like comparing a 1ghz mobile netbook processor with a 1ghz quad core LOL

I'm not trying to talk down any phones, I like them all honestly, the more the merrier. I just think the Ally will be nicer than the Eris/Devour. Even if just because of its nicer resolution!

Yes, you should stop thinking that way. :)

The numbers have misled you. The 600MHz MSM7627 has perhaps half the number crunching power as the 550MHz arm cortex a8 in the Droid. In fact, the MSM7627 which is made by Qualcomm is based on the predecessor to the cortex a8.

So yeah, this is definitely a mid-grade phone. The Ally is a clear notch below the high end Droid and Incredible models. Still a good device, but not meant for power or high end users.

victorythagr8

Reaction score

the droid at 550mhz is still faster than the ally at 600mhz. The thing is that ally still uses arm 11 processor while the droid uses arm 7.

Arm 7 at 550 runs just as fast as and Arm 11 proccessor that runs a lil above 800mhz.

Why do you think the droid 550mhz is faster than the Samsung Moment 800mhz. Because the samsung moment runs a Arm 11 processor.

Spec wise the droid is killing the moment with processing power alone, That is why when you judge specs, that you need to know what architecture it is.