Full LG Ally Specs Released

Mule65

Reaction score
Qualcomm MSM7627

"The chipset packs two ARM cores on a single chip, including one dedicated 600MHz applications processor, and a separate 400MHz modem processor to offload some of the heavy lifting. Otherwise, the phone is said to pack a 200MHz, OpenGL 2.0-supporting GPU for some decent gaming capabilities, and a 320MHz application DSP to handle multimedia on the device, including full 30 fps WVGA video encoding and decoding."

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Will this phone support Flash 10.1 with that processor? If not this phone will be stuck on 2.1 for eternity. I will be checking this out though for my wife, she still really likes her Voyager but its time for a change.

doublejack

Reaction score
Will this phone support Flash 10.1 with that processor? If not this phone will be stuck on 2.1 for eternity. I will be checking this out though for my wife, she still really likes her Voyager but its time for a change.

That's an excellent point. I'm not entirely positive, but I sincerely doubt this processor has the guts to handle Flash 10.1. I mean, it is basically an obsolete CPU and Flash is notoriously inefficient. At best the performance would be sluggish. More likely, though, is that it just won't work.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
It would be a serious mistake by LG if this phone will not support Flash, they basically killed off this phone once the word gets out and Flash is released if that is true. Why would they just use the same processor as the Droid, it's proven to be a workhorse, can be overclocked and it would be a great marketing tool.

Darkseider

Reaction score

That's an excellent point. I'm not entirely positive, but I sincerely doubt this processor has the guts to handle Flash 10.1. I mean, it is basically an obsolete CPU and Flash is notoriously inefficient. At best the performance would be sluggish. More likely, though, is that it just won't work.

I think the majority of Android handsets that are out can handle Flash but it will just be a matter of convincing the manufacturers/carriers to do it. The reason I say this is because Flash for video content, which it will mostly be used for, is nothing more than a wrapper. The video itself is already encoded in H.264 and Skyfire shows that even a lowly 528Mhz Backflip can play streaming internet video. Essentially all Skyfire does is strip the container and stream the feed to the client through a proxy. So I really don't see an issue here at all with Flash on mid-range devices.

Beardface

Reaction score
I'm skeptical, very skeptical over this phone. I have had multiple LG phones in the past (my last 2 phones before the Droid were the 2nd Gen Chocolate and the Voyager) and the main, drawback for both was a truly awful touchscreen on the front. I really, really hope that LG has their act together with this Android phone, but if they don't, this will be a complete failure of a handset. Plus, with the same general specs as the Droid, a phone thats been out for 7 months and has proven itself as a very well built, competent phone, why would anyone put down money for the Ally, which is a complete toss in the dark for a company that makes relatively cheap phones.

No thanks, I'll stick with the Droid, and continue to convince as many people as I can that the Droid is by far the best phone on the market right now. Better than the Incredible, and leagues better than the iPhone.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I'm skeptical, very skeptical over this phone. I have had multiple LG phones in the past (my last 2 phones before the Droid were the 2nd Gen Chocolate and the Voyager) and the main, drawback for both was a truly awful touchscreen on the front. I really, really hope that LG has their act together with this Android phone, but if they don't, this will be a complete failure of a handset. Plus, with the same general specs as the Droid, a phone thats been out for 7 months and has proven itself as a very well built, competent phone, why would anyone put down money for the Ally, which is a complete toss in the dark for a company that makes relatively cheap phones.

No thanks, I'll stick with the Droid, and continue to convince as many people as I can that the Droid is by far the best phone on the market right now. Better than the Incredible, and leagues better than the iPhone.

See this is a popular misconception. You say with the same general specs as the Droid. Even though the processor is clocked similar/higher it is a full generation behind when it comes to ARM SoC design. The SOC in the Droid is a TI OMAP 3430 clocked at 550 Mhz. This is a Qualcomm MSM 76xx clocked at 600 Mhz. While still a competent SoC it is about .33 - .50 the processing power of the Droid at similar clock speeds. This is due to the newer ARM core used in the OMAP 34xx as opposed to the MSM76xx series.

Mule65

Reaction score
I might still give it a whirl. If it has a reliable phone (I see 2 real buttons!) and a battery that can last a weekend it may work for me.

Mule65

Reaction score
guinea pig

Well, I'll step up and be a guinea pig! Pre-ordered this morning for $49 with my NE2 discount. If the battery life and phone is better (hangups, drops, signal, garbles, gaps) I may be :) without the fastest processor. The video on Verizon looked pretty good. Stay tuned...

hewey.jpg

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
Cheaping out on the processor may have killed the phone..... the "small screen" w/e.... but to pay a data charge for a CPU from the same arch as the Nokia E90.... original iphone... etc....

I suppose there are plenty of happy pixie owners out there... the keyboard does look soo much better lack of a number row on the droid was a major drawback for me...

Mule65

Reaction score
Cheaping out on the processor may have killed the phone..... the "small screen" w/e.... but to pay a data charge for a CPU from the same arch as the Nokia E90.... original iphone... etc....

You may be right but I think it's worth a test drive. A few new videos out look encouraging. One noted how it had more bars than Inc. It's 1500 mAh battery is bigger than Droid or Inc. It's a little thick but length and width are nice and weight is between Droid and Inc. Feature-wise they are all similar. Ally has better advertised Standby (500 hours) and Usage (450 minutes) times. The keyboard and slider look much better than Moto.

doublejack

Reaction score
There's some backup for my initial suspicion, Flash on the Ally is not a slam dunk

Hands On With the LG Ally | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

From the article about the LG Ally:

It is powered by a Qualcomm MSM7627 600 MHz processor. This means you might not be seeing Flash on the Ally. Adobe said back in February that Flash will only run on phones with ARM Cortex-A8 processors and 50MB or more of available RAM, like the Nexus One, the HTC Incredible, and Motorola Droid, but the Qualcomm MSM7627 is a less powerful ARM11 processor.
So the Droid is in the mix to handle Flash.....older phones or phones with weaker processors...not looking too good, especially if they dont get updated to 2.2.

lchavez289

Reaction score
Well, I just got my LG Ally from work today.
Here's what ive come up with so far..

Exterior: Rounded edges, slightly arced front home keys.
on the actual screen itself, its has the search and back keys. The call, home, menu, and end key are actual buttons. Nice and subtle change from the moto droid. The screen is slightly smaller then the Moto simply because of the black border. But its still perfect for viewing webpages.
The slider keyboard opens very smoothly, no locking open or close feeling.

Interior: The keyboard is very well designed for texting. the keys on the right are slighty tilted and same for the left. It's very easy to move your fingers around. The letters are located slighty different from the motodroid, so it was a bit awkward at first but very easily adapted.
The keys on the front screen are also located on the keyboard so you can access everything from there unlike the motodroid.

Internals: First noticable difference is the home screen. when you push on the screen application menu, the icons shoot into the screen. (like a rooted moto) There is no longer a pull up menu that you look through. The applications actuall roll up and down the screen. The phone comes with think free office, which i love. You have all your files orgainized for sd card, web, and email.

Overall the phone is awesome. I really like everything about it so far. Ill let you know if I find anything else good or bad in the next couple days.

LC

progress.gif