Full Data Kill Switch - Is There One?

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
Aside from the airplane mode, is there anyway else to turn off the data Fully and turn it back on at my discretion. I'm on the basic Data Plan, 50MB for full month. I use WI-FI all the time when needed, and only want to use my 50MB for emergencies or finding an address, phone number on the go. The Droid doesn't have it :( I've turned off Background Data, Sync, and even GPS Satellite, and it still leaking data.

I read somewhere that the new OS Update for the Moto Droid will have that Kill Switch Option like the Incredible and the ERIS, but who knows when that will come out. Anyone know any Apps, any settings that does this?

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
It says Firmware Version

2.1-update1

How do I get the 2.2 Firmware? Is it the official release, or Beta?

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
It says Firmware Version

2.1-update1

You have to root your Droid to update to 2.2 because Google hasn't released 2.2 yet. Also, the android 2.2 that many developers are using isn't built from source so its still experimental; use at your own risk.

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
It says Firmware Version

2.1-update1

You have to root your Droid to update to 2.2 because Google hasn't released 2.2 yet. Also, the android 2.2 that many developers are using isn't built from source so its still experimental; use at your own risk.

So I can't use the Nexus Android 2.2 on my Droid?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What device do you have?

If it's a Droid you have Unlimited Data.

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
What device do you have?

If it's a Droid you have Unlimited Data.

I'm on the basic Data Plan, 50MB for full month through Page Plus Celluar, which uses Verizon Wireless's Network and it's phones.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
It says Firmware Version

2.1-update1

So I can't use the Nexus Android 2.2 on my Droid?

No you can't. If you really want to update to 2.2 I would read up on rooting.

Some threads to help you:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/38528-getting-root-access-you-phone-after-2-1-update.html

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
What do you think of this video? [video=youtube;8L5GDaSZZ_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5GDaSZZ_k]YouTube - Motorola Droid - How to install 2.2 firmware FROYO![/video]

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
How about this one? I'm looking to take the most conservative route possible. My phone is as OEM as it gets. Let me know if I could follow through with this? Android 2.2 FROYO DIY download | In A Nutshell

That's for a different phone, you cannot take 2.2 from the nexus one because the code is completely different. This is why there are custom roms using code that was leaked and not officially from Google. Since you are new to the world of rooting I would follow the step by step video I gave to you. Also, I should've told you this before.

Rooting VOIDS your warranty and could potentially brick your device so if you don't follow the steps correctly you could make your phone useless. If you are not confident you can root your phone then I wouldn't continue with it. If you brick your phone Verizon will not replace it. SO, Don't blame me if you brick your phone.

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
Now before doing all this, the Android 2.2 OS for sure has a Kill Data switch like the Iphone, Droid Eris, and the Incredible right?

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
How about this one? I'm looking to take the most conservative route possible. My phone is as OEM as it gets. Let me know if I could follow through with this? Android 2.2 FROYO DIY download | In A Nutshell

That's for a different phone, you cannot take 2.2 from the nexus one because the code is completely different. This is why there are custom roms using code that was leaked and not officially from Google. Since you are new to the world of rooting I would follow the step by step video I gave to you. Also, I should've told you this before.

Rooting VOIDS your warranty and could potentially brick your device so if you don't follow the steps correctly you could make your phone useless. If you are not confident you can root your phone then I wouldn't continue with it. If you brick your phone Verizon will not replace it. SO, Don't blame me if you brick your phone.

His first phone is a Motorola Droid? I don't know if he went with the ROM Version or just straight forward as he wrote it.

froyo-os-full-2010-05-2002-52-49-rm-eng.jpg