Froyo update for the Android

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well Android 2.2 was released and we are waiting for much improved 3.0 OS but I am very happy with Android 2.2 which give us more benefits as well much improved OS to us. Here I put some information about why it's important update for Android OS:

Why is the Froyo update for the Android is Big Deal?

the original droid wont be getting 3.0 officially as it does not meet the minimum requirements set by google.

now would a developer find a way to do it.... sure its very possible.

xosuitehearts

Reaction score
Well Android 2.2 was released and we are waiting for much improved 3.0 OS but I am very happy with Android 2.2 which give us more benefits as well much improved OS to us. Here I put some information about why it's important update for Android OS:

Why is the Froyo update for the Android is Big Deal?

the original droid wont be getting 3.0 officially as it does not meet the minimum requirements set by google.

now would a developer find a way to do it.... sure its very possible.

How do you figure? why would 3.0 not work on it?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The minimum requirements to run G/B is a 1Ghz processor the Droid is sporting a stock 800Mhz (which was just recently upped from 550Mhz) not to say we won't see some 3.0 ROM's or at least some GingerBread crumbs, but the Official Release will not make it's way to the Original D

scoder

Reaction score
The "leaked" minimum specs of Gingerbread were proven false by a Google engineer the day after the rumor surfaced. No one knows except Google what those requirements are. Stop posting false information please.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The minimum requirements to run G/B is a 1Ghz processor the Droid is sporting a stock 800Mhz (which was just recently upped from 550Mhz) not to say we won't see some 3.0 ROM's or at least some GingerBread crumbs, but the Official Release will not make it's way to the Original D

bingo....

requirements are 512 mb ram, and a 1 ghz processor .... the droid does not meet either of those.

keep in mind those are the minimum requirements. So just because it can run on a 1ghz processor does not mean it will run well.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me change my original statement...I would be very (very) surprised if G/B was Officially released for the Original Droid by Google or Motorola

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The "leaked" minimum specs of Gingerbread were proven false by a Google engineer the day after the rumor surfaced. No one knows except Google what those requirements are. Stop posting false information please.

care to back this up with a article or something?

xosuitehearts

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Motorola

I just got off the phone with a Motorola technician that told me that if they were going to stop developing things for the Droid they would tag it with an "end of life" tag.

So I'm sure something will be made to adjust on the original Droid.

nrsmd

Reaction score
My Droid X says Firmware 2.1-update1. When I check for available updates, it says none are available at this time. When did you get 2.2 officially? Am I looking at the wrong place?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Droid X says Firmware 2.1-update1. When I check for available updates, it says none are available at this time. When did you get 2.2 officially? Am I looking at the wrong place?

They are talking about the original droid.

Sent from my Droid

nrsmd

Reaction score
Sems confusing. froyo allows the ability to put apps on the SD card. Can I do that now???

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
My Droid 1 has been running at 1200 MHz for over a month with no heat or battery issues or freeze issues. It's Quadrant reading is 1531 and it's on Android 2.2. All this is of course with the help of this fantastic Android community!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sems confusing. froyo allows the ability to put apps on the SD card. Can I do that now???

If you have Froyo, yes, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Go to each app and you should see a "Move to SD card" as an option. Press that and the app will move.

A couple of caveats about that.

1. Not every app will allow a move; many will have that option ghosted.
  2. Not all of the app will move. Two examples: Google Earth will move only 1/4 to the sd card and Act 1 Video Player at 436kb will only move 200kb.
Of course if you're rooted that's another matter.

Last edited: