FroYo update for DROID X delayed until early September

yellar

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with bugs guys. It's marketing. In fact it's probably to get more sales to Droid 2.

I think your right. If you lok at all the videos of the droid 2 it looks just like the dx. Same widgets, same screens and all.

kpiskin

Reaction score
Yeah basically the motorola support forums said the same thing. D2 has the same guts as DX. They can release 2.2 for us any time, but want to give D2 a chance to get some sales.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Is the Droid X in such short supply that they need to divert sales to the Droid 2, is that why you're saying the update (which in early builds has had performance similar to that of a first-time skydiver after eating a little too much sushi) is being delayed?

I'm still seeing ads for the Droid X, none yet on my boob tube for the Droid 2.

If the internals were identical they'd just be flashing 2.2 on at the factory and manually updating the phones in the store when they sold them. Maybe the update's been delayed because there are some issues they want to work out and they don't want to overload the servers by pushing out updates to second phone when they've had issues pushing out updates to the Droid 1.

fishstick600

Reaction score
Lol what you mean actually use logic and reasoning to why froyo isn't out? No! I want rumors from the guy next door who play wow 24-7. Lol i agree with you bud

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Is the Droid X in such short supply that they need to divert sales to the Droid 2, is that why you're saying the update (which in early builds has had performance similar to that of a first-time skydiver after eating a little too much sushi) is being delayed?

If the internals were identical they'd just be flashing 2.2 on at the factory and manually updating the phones in the store when they sold them. Maybe the update's been delayed because there are some issues they want to work out and they don't want to overload the servers by pushing out updates to second phone when they've had issues pushing out updates to the Droid 1.

That's a horrible analogy. Also, reports are all that Froyo has great performance.

That said, I disagree with about everything else you have said as well.

• Why would they waste manpower trying to update them manually in-stores? That would involve unsealing all the boxes. I can go on and on about this.
  • Droid X was out first. So presumably they would have started to work on the update for it first. Yeah?
  • What issues could they have run into on DX that were not present on D2?
  • They put out updates to the D1, which is as of now discontinued. HMMMMMM.
  • If you look on the forums, yes. The DX is hard to get ahold of. It's back-ordered in most places. So yeah, it's in short supply
  • I never said they have to "divert" sales to D2. I'm just saying they don't want D2 to be a flop because of DX.
If they were having "issues" with the update, they would have probably announced it for good PR - "we are working hard to provide our valuable customers a solid update, blah blah blah". In fact, I'm surprised they haven't said that regardless of the facts.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

That's a horrible analogy. Also, reports are all that Froyo has great performance.

That said, I disagree with about everything else you have said as well.

• Why would they waste manpower trying to update them manually in-stores? That would involve unsealing all the boxes. I can go on and on about this.
  • Droid X was out first. So presumably they would have started to work on the update for it first. Yeah?
  • What issues could they have run into on DX that were not present on D2?
  • They put out updates to the D1, which is as of now discontinued. HMMMMMM.
  • If you look on the forums, yes. The DX is hard to get ahold of. It's back-ordered in most places. So yeah, it's in short supply
  • I never said they have to "divert" sales to D2. I'm just saying they don't want D2 to be a flop because of DX.
If they were having "issues" with the update, they would have probably announced it for good PR - "we are working hard to provide our valuable customers a solid update, blah blah blah". In fact, I'm surprised they haven't said that regardless of the facts.
FroYo has great performance. MotoBlur doesn't. Combine the two and you get issues. What does DX have than D1 doesn't that might be causing an issue?

When the phones are sold the boxes are unsealed. I apologize if I presumed you'd follow my logic train since obviously they wouldn't open the boxes beforehand to update them unless a directive came down from Verizon to do so. Oh yeah, and the update isn't ready yet, so they can't do that.

Presumably humanity evolved from a common ancestor as chimpanzees millions of years ago. People will still argue that evolution is a crock. Presume all you want, especially if it makes you feel superior without any hard evidence to back you up.

Oh, I don't know. A lot? Are you involved in the process of upgrading the DX? If so, give us some valid information instead of inflammatory opinions that do nothing to forward information reported by a Mod or Admin that presumably know more than you do.

That's right, they did push out updates. Jealous? They're still pushing them out because ANOTHER 2.2 update has been announced.

Your next two points are in direct contrast to each other, so I'm not even going to bother picking them apart, except to say that the DX and D2 are aimed at different audiences, so presuming one's going to be a flop because of the other is a good definition of hubris.

Verizon announces nothing until it's final. That's been their policy all along so they don't look like sods. Too bad the rumor mill does that for them.

Having said all this, I don't want to get drawn into an argument. We disagree, we're going to disagree, and that's where it stands. I'm drawing on the knowledge of very informed people and my own experience when I make my posts unless I say otherwise. Unless you have information I don't have, taken from reliable sources within Verizon Wireless, nothing you say is any more valid than what I said.

And I would like to correct one point I made in my first post. The first Droid 2 ads have hit YouTube and there's a link to one in the news section, on the front page at the time of this post.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-s-droid-2-digits-ad-hits-internet-video.html

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Having said all this, I don't want to get drawn into an argument. We disagree, we're going to disagree, and that's where it stands. I'm drawing on the knowledge of very informed people and my own experience when I make my posts unless I say otherwise. Unless you have information I don't have, taken from reliable sources within Verizon Wireless, nothing you say is any more valid than what I said.

What makes a source reliable? Motorola is surely reliable, are they not? But then again, companies do alter the truth once in a while for financial gain.

Show me a link that reliably says that they have technical issues and I'll give this one to you.

Also, I apologize if my comments could be viewed as inflammatory. I just think it's okay to directly disagree with someone. Is it because I flatly stated my status of disagreeing with you that you interpreted it as being hostile?

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Oh yeah - since I can't edit, sorry for double post.

I'd like to just say that I don't think that the original post decisively says that the update is getting pushed back because of issues. It just says that the update is going to be released later, and that some issues will be addressed in it.

fishstick600

Reaction score
The biggest issue right now is they are trying to integrate a fix for exchange i believe. That's just a guess tho. For all i know they could do a ota update for exchange later.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Yeah... considering most droidx users probably don't use exchange. It'd be more important for blackberry or something.

IDK... I still think that's an excuse.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yeah... considering most droidx users probably don't use exchange. It'd be more important for blackberry or something.

IDK... I still think that's an excuse.
You're more than welcome to your opinion. As for the reliability of Motorola, a Motorola rep announced a 2GHz phone would be released before the end of the year. So far the closest any data accrued and released has indicated is a dual-core 1GHz chipset built by Nvidia code-named Tegra. Or something like that for the code-name; it's been a long time since I read the release. Since 1GHz+1GHz dual-core does not = 2Ghz single core, the speculation -- and I stress speculation -- is that this is what he was referring to, yet nothing has been mentioned anywhere that I'm aware of backing even that up in the Motorola roadmap.

Since executive officers don't always understand the lingo, there's always some leeway in how strictly we have to interpret what they say. In this case, I think a dual-core 1Ghz phone would probably be a better choice than a straight-up 2Ghz phone. Easier on the battery and much better at multitasking. But that's me.

I agree that Verizon would be better off quashing these rumors, or at least going on record saying "we'll get it out when we get it out", but anything they say locks them in, and every time they have to change what they've said they look less reliable. They don't release anything until they think it's ready, and that includes announcements on releases. It's draconian, but at least we haven't had a "it's your fault, you idiots!" thrown at us on why we lose signal.