Froyo Redraws And Lag

dreamtheater993

Reaction score
When I exit out of applications and return to my homescreen, I am often getting redraw issues. Then after all the icons and widgets have loaded, there is still a few seconds of delay b4 the screen responds to my finger. There are some things that are definitely quicker with Froyo, like the app drawer, and adding icons to homescreen, but this redraw is really annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
yep, I have nearly identical to what you describe

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
do you happen to have a task killer? if so, get rid of it.

I've been running 2.2 for well over a month now and never had any case of lag as bad as you're describing. There's always going to be some small lag as the cpu/memory have to work, but it sounds like you're experiencing some pretty bad lag which is probably due to apps conflicting.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Re-draws are a well known issue across launchers and roms. Some people are more affected than others, some don't have any.

It is because of people's theme/launcher being overstuffed and taking up too much memory. Probably also related to the new internal task management in Android and so developers are still trying to figure out how to fix this with their launchers.

There's a tipping point with just 256megs of ram that causes Android to kill something to free resources, and for whatever reason the launcher is frequently the one to go. My theory is a lot of widgets and services, along with apps you open from your home screens, are either active or more recently used so are lower down the kill list. Your launcher, meanwhile, at 40 megs or whatever of memory leaves you with little spare memory and when you launch other memory intensive apps something has to be killed immediately and there goes your launcher. The degree of the problem depends on really how close you are to that threshold, probably dependent on the size of your launcher but also what other tasks and widgets you have that are always running. I have personally seen my launcher killed a split second after I launch flash, for example.

Most likely this is partly why the stock launcher only has 3-5 screens, because if they limit your screen in such manner they are also limiting how big your home theme can be.

PatX

Reaction score
When I exit out of applications and return to my homescreen, I am often getting redraw issues. Then after all the icons and widgets have loaded, there is still a few seconds of delay b4 the screen responds to my finger. There are some things that are definitely quicker with Froyo, like the app drawer, and adding icons to homescreen, but this redraw is really annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

Myself and a co-worker of mine have this problem and its annoying. I dont use a task killer and I'm not rooted. I updated to 2.2 manually but I dont see what difference that would make.:icon_evil:

droiddadi

Reaction score
This is Froyo problem
Have seen this issue with every launcher and rom. I don't use any task killlers or any memory tweaks

markmicallef

Reaction score
What launcher are you guys using? I'm using LauncherPro and was having this problem with it as well as the stock launcher. LauncherPro is my favorite launcher and didn't want to give it up.

If you're using LauncherPro, this is what stopped redraws 100% for medancedroid

Preferences>Behavior Settings> Enable Auto-Rotation Unchecked

Other settings in

Preferences>Advanced settings>Memory Usage Settings
  • Memory usage preset- Moderate
  • Use homescreen Cashes- Checked
  • Homescreen cache type- Compressed
  • Build caches as needed- Checked
  • Clear cashes on exit- Unchecked
  • Prevent force-closes- Checked

Hope this helps :)

fotoamazonas

Reaction score
got a delay? remove icons

running stock 2.2.

I was experiencing a mind-numbing delay (sometimes up to 30 seconds) getting to my home screen. following advice, i removed icons from all but 3 screens. the delay vanished instantly! now i'm back to having the speedy droid i knew and loved. having fewer icons is a pain, but i'm using folders now (for games, etc), and it's well worth it.