Froyo killed my reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgthree

Reaction score
I've tried searching the forums but can't find this problem (although I've found lots of other Froyo-related problems).

Ever since I installed Froyo my reception has been horribly inconsistent. It's not that it's worse all the time, instead it works normally and then for no reason I get 1 bar of 1G in areas where I should have perfect 3G reception. I still have the FRG01B build and I'm hoping the new build will fix this problem, but I can't get it from the Market.

Do I need to do a hard reset or what? This Froyo upgrade was not ready for prime time IMO.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've tried searching the forums but can't find this problem (although I've found lots of other Froyo-related problems).

Ever since I installed Froyo my reception has been horribly inconsistent. It's not that it's worse all the time, instead it works normally and then for no reason I get 1 bar of 1G in areas where I should have perfect 3G reception. I still have the FRG01B build and I'm hoping the new build will fix this problem, but I can't get it from the Market.

Do I need to do a hard reset or what? This Froyo upgrade was not ready for prime time IMO.

Welcome to my world. I am rooted and the ROM I am using runs the OTA baseband. I had to go back to the old baseband.

bamarammin87

Reaction score
Same here. I drive 40 minutes to and from work every day. Since I got a droid in february, I had signal the whole drive except for 5 minutes or so in the middle. Now, with froyo, I don't have signal but for ten minutes or so during the whole drive. Extremely frustrating.

sheetman0204

Reaction score
I don't know if this will work but if you are on verizon have you tried dialing the *228 I think it is to sync your phone location. a verizon rep can give the exact number but it's something like that

harrellj

Reaction score
*228 option 2 will update your PRLs which is supposed to help with locations of cell towers and for roaming

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's great for roaming BUT, I have been at 3g full bar at my house for a year. So updating roaming so I can use some other companies new cell tower to "just get" reception doesn't jive with me.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think the 2.2 upgrade was to get people to want to upgrade their phone to an X or incredible or something. :) I for one didn't isntall the OTA and no need to since I am rooted. What I did do however was flash the previous baseband version back to my phone and I am good to go now. 3g returned and iheartradio doesn't skip and all kinds of fun stuff.

OP
B

bgthree

Reaction score
So, will dialing *228 cause me to roam on other companies' cell towers??? Definitely don't want that... I'm in a fairly densely populated area and reception has never been the slightest issue until now.

Any chance FRG22 will help? I've seen people say then can get FRG22 on the Market but I can't get it. How do I get it?

Thanks for any help!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's great for roaming BUT, I have been at 3g full bar at my house for a year. So updating roaming so I can use some other companies new cell tower to "just get" reception doesn't jive with me.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think the 2.2 upgrade was to get people to want to upgrade their phone to an X or incredible or something. :) I for one didn't isntall the OTA and no need to since I am rooted. What I did do however was flash the previous baseband version back to my phone and I am good to go now. 3g returned and iheartradio doesn't skip and all kinds of fun stuff.

With all due respect, 2.2 is also going out on the X and on the Droid 2. It's a wonderful update and the vast majority of people are enjoying it. This particular statement however is, well, just outrageous.

I say if you're truly not happy with the update call Verizon and ask them what they can do for you. It's their update after all. My reception, if anything seems to have improved. So I beg to differ. Even WiFi seems to have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.