Froyo is inferior to 2.1 on my Droid X

Jim Rockford

Reaction score
I have the froyo 2.2 update on my Droid X (Verizon), and I really do not see what the fuss was all about regarding performance enhancements, particularly on the speed front. At best the screen refreshes, app initiation, and webpage loading are at the same speed as with 2.1. But there are some very annoying differences which are undoubtedly slower. The worst is the screen orientation detector. More often than not, the Droid X incorrectly estimates the current orientation when I turn on the phone (when already powered up), and I'm constantly having to flip the orientation around. It's really annoying and not something I had a problem with in 2.1 (although I do appreciate that I can now do both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations). In addition, I have many more instances in which button presses are ignored. I often have to go back to home base and re-engage an app in order for the button press sensitivity to return properly.

This is considered an improvement? Sorry, I don't see it, not at all. If anything Froyo is worse than its predecessor in many basic areas. Is this a Verizon/Motorola thing only? I hope I'm not the only one unimpressed. Anyone else out there have similar problems with the Froyo update?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're too late. We've moved on from the complaining phase to the acceptance phase. :)

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You're too late. We've moved on from the complaining phase to the acceptance phase. :)
LMFAO!

I remember your post about the "phases".
But, yup, we're definitely in the acceptance phase now.
Hopefully some of these little bugs will be fixed when Moto rolls out the next update (if/when?)
I've accepted the minor issues. Nothing that makes the phone unuseable IMO.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im actually starting to see some signs of a new anticipation phase. 3.0 Gingerbread.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Oh yes....the rumblings for newness are starting. We like that new Android smell too much lol

Sent from somewhere...

OP
J

Jim Rockford

Reaction score

Well, I wasn't looking to initiate a meeting of the whiners club, but to find out if other people have experienced the sluggishness of 2.2 that I mentioned. Preliminary reports were that 2.2 would be a major upgrade in speed. I could care less about some of the functionality issues with SMS messaging and the early stuff with Outlook. I was expecting a snappier performance and not seeing it. Anyone else?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't looking to initiate a meeting of the whiners club, but to find out if other people have experienced the sluggishness of 2.2 that I mentioned. Preliminary reports were that 2.2 would be a major upgrade in speed. I could care less about some of the functionality issues with SMS messaging and the early stuff with Outlook. I was expecting a snappier performance and not seeing it. Anyone else?

Well, wheat I was saying is yes, there have been plenty of people who have complained. But after a while the complaints die down and people either fix their issues (which is user error) or they replace their device by now.

So in a sense the forum has moved away from the talking about issues like you are experiencing. Let me say this: If you are experiencing sluggishness in your device, first remove any task killers or virus protection you may have. If that is not the case then get a cache cleaner from the market and clear the cache on your apps. And if that doesn't work, try a factory data reset. That should have you running up to speed i no time.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Jim Rockfish - If hook's suggestions don't give the changes you are looking for concerning speed, consider taking the phone to a Verizon store and have them reflash a good clean copy of 2.2 onto your phone. This has helped quite a few folks with speed issues.

Some other suggestions would:

1. No widgets other than on the home screen,
2. Window transitions off,
2. Window animations off,
3. Switch Launchers. If you are using the stock launcher switch to Launcher Pro or ADW,
4. If you have a lot of screens, consider reducing to fewer screens and leave some infrequently used apps in the app drawer.

Good luck with your issues and keep us posted so we know how it came out. :)

abe7333

Reaction score
Im actually starting to see some signs of a new anticipation phase. 3.0 Gingerbread.

Do you think droid x will be capable of honeycomb or ice cream?

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
I have the froyo 2.2 update on my Droid X (Verizon), and I really do not see what the fuss was all about regarding performance enhancements, particularly on the speed front. At best the screen refreshes, app initiation, and webpage loading are at the same speed as with 2.1. But there are some very annoying differences which are undoubtedly slower. The worst is the screen orientation detector. More often than not, the Droid X incorrectly estimates the current orientation when I turn on the phone (when already powered up), and I'm constantly having to flip the orientation around. It's really annoying and not something I had a problem with in 2.1 (although I do appreciate that I can now do both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations). In addition, I have many more instances in which button presses are ignored. I often have to go back to home base and re-engage an app in order for the button press sensitivity to return properly.

This is considered an improvement? Sorry, I don't see it, not at all. If anything Froyo is worse than its predecessor in many basic areas. Is this a Verizon/Motorola thing only? I hope I'm not the only one unimpressed. Anyone else out there have similar problems with the Froyo update?

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your compass. Try that and see if that helps with the orentation issues you are experiencing.