From iOS to Android

Drumwolf

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I try to put my personal life back together, I needed a new phone. I've been using an iPhone previously the last 3+ years (3g ~ 3gs ~ 4g) & felt that a change was needed for 1 year. Really didn't see much on the horizon (2weeks) that I liked within the 1-year contracts so I decided to give Motorola Droid X & Android a shot. So I hope to learn from a lot of you as an novice Hackintosh user & I apologize in advance if I feel the need to receive specific information.

/wave :happy:

-Drumwolf

Welcome to the forum! The Droid X is a great phone and you will not be disappointed. There are a lot of people here with great skills, so soak it up. Don't be afraid to ask questions. More importantly, have fun with your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Welcome to the forum! The Droid X is a great phone and you will not be disappointed. There are a lot of people here with great skills, so soak it up. Don't be afraid to ask questions. More importantly, have fun with your phone.

Thanks, & I will start with trying to use the search button as much as possible. My biggest concerns are just rooting, getting rid of this so-called bloatware, & making sure I make good backups. Currently checking the hacks section on the best route to take.

I suggest you read everything there is to read, make sure you know both the perks and consequences, and then make an informed decision on nether on not rooting/romming is right for you.

It is great to be able to customize your phone, and can be extremely addicting too!

I suggest you read everything there is to read, make sure you know both the perks and consequences, and then make an informed decision on nether on not rooting/romming is right for you.

It is great to be able to customize your phone, and can be extremely addicting too!

Yeah I just read a few threads, but I'm confused on the whole consequence of rooting the Droid X. It seems like if I do it, I will be unable to return it to factory settings like a iPhone & take it back to Verizon for repair if needed. Did I read that correctly?

edit: I understand the bricking issue, I guess my biggest decision will come from the outcome on warrenty/insurance options after a root.

Last edited:
You can easily unroot if you decide to root it and verizon will never know ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

You can easily unroot if you decide to root it and verizon will never know ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Thanks for clearing that up for me; guess it's time to get my hands dirty. dancedroid What I had searched didn't come back with a definitive answer like that. It was more like, you can root, but you'll be screwed. Probably should have viewed the date of those threads.

Yeah unrooting is easy there's even a one click root and unroot app for the Droid x. I prefer to do things the hard way however lol.

Sent From My Blurless Droid X

Yeah unrooting is easy there's even a one click root and unroot app for the Droid x. I prefer to do things the hard way however lol.

Tried using a guys guide where I didn't need to connect to my computer, but it seems I will have to do the computer method after all. I'll look for that one-button click root program.

edit: here is the link to Nerdslogic guide, ran into a debugging issue that I was unsure how to fix. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asy-guide-rooting-backup-rom-flashing-dx.html

Last edited:
Just Google Droid x z4root it doesn't get any simpler then that. You don't even have to use a computer. Just download this APK use a file manager and install it then click permanent root. Its that easy. Good luck.

Edit:to enter debug mode go to settings then applications/development/USB debugging. Turn that on. Also you have to make sure you allow to install apps from.unknown sources which it will promotion you to.do when you try to install the apk

Just Google Droid x z4root it doesn't get any simpler then that. You don't even have to use a computer. Just download this APK use a file manager and install it then click permanent root. Its that easy. Good luck.

I have to remember to really read over and over what the program is telling me. "enabled usb debugging". "hello earth to drumwolf, you need to google *howto: usbdebug droid x*"

Oh look at that; Z4Root is now working :icon_eek:

I have to remember to really read over and over what the program is telling me. "enabled usb debugging". "hello earth to drumwolf, you need to google *howto: usbdebug droid x*"

Yeah sorry I skipped over that u needed help on the debugging part lol I updated my previous post and gave instructions on how to do it

Yeah sorry I skipped over that u needed help on the debugging part lol I updated my previous post and gave instructions on how to do it

Well thank you; I finally got tired of seeing that message for the 4th time I finally decided to google "howto: enable USB debugging" 4 steps later I was on my way, rooting now.

Well thank you; I finally got tired of seeing that message for the 4th time I finally decided to google "howto: enable USB debugging" 4 steps later I was on my way, rooting now.

Haha well glad you got it figured out.

Haha well glad you got it figured out.

Rooted & running Liberty 1.5 since that seems to be a popular version. Now I need to find apps & themes to run. Thank everyone.

Back