From Hotmail to Gmail...The Complete Switch

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife and I both have been long time Hotmail users and when I got my Droid last year of course I opened a Gmail, recently we purchased an Incredible for her and the long and short is we are both contemplating closing our Hotmail accounts and using Gmail exclusively.

My question is can we transfer all of our folders (of saved emails) from Hotmail to Gmail and if so how ?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would think there would be an easier way but can't you just send all the emails to your gmail account?

jgumphress

Reaction score
I had a Gmail account already when I got my Droid and my main email has always been Hotmail. I even pay Hotmail annualy to keep the ads off of it. In my Gmail account I set all emails to forward to Hotmail and delete from Gmail. When I bought my Droid the salesman asked me what me email was so he could set up my phone for me. I don't know what he did but ever since all my email pushes directly to my Droid automaticaly. So this has been a capability for some time if one knows how to set it up. I've had my Droid for 6 months now.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think there would be an easier way but can't you just send all the emails to your gmail account?
I am talking about ten years of saved emails, probably in the hundreds for me and my wife tops the two thousand mark, easily

KevinJ

Reaction score
Only thing I could think of was to go into Hotmail and then forward all the saved mails to gmail. You'd have to do each one individually, but if time is no problem, you could just do a few a day until they are all sent.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Only thing I could think of was to go into Hotmail and then forward all the saved mails to gmail. You'd have to do each one individually, but if time is no problem, you could just do a few a day until they are all sent.

Yes that's exactly what I did when going from Yahoo email to Gmail. It's not so over whelming if you do a bunch every day. I made up the bunches by selecting a specific folder to send after I had created the same folder name in Gmail.

gprichardson1

Reaction score
In your GMail settings (on your PC) go to "Accounts and Import". In that section there's an option:

"Import mail and contacts: Import from Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL, or other webmail or POP3 accounts."

I've never run through the process but it sounds like this might be what you're looking for.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
In your GMail settings (on your PC) go to "Accounts and Import". In that section there's an option:

"Import mail and contacts: Import from Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL, or other webmail or POP3 accounts."

I've never run through the process but it sounds like this might be what you're looking for.
This sounds promising, the thought of fowarding every one individually in itself is overwhelming and I know my wife wouldn't stand for it, she already had to manually input 10 years of palm calender to google because the palm sync process has gone downhill so much and it just refused to sync everything correctly

Thanks for the tip, hopefully it works

brosselle

Reaction score
I believe most email providers use TrueSwitch to migrate email. I've used it with varying success. I have emails going back to 1997.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score

This did work beautifully it even organized my folders exactly how they were in hotmail.....thanks again :)

MuffinTop

Reaction score
Can it work the same for calender too? I have my work schedule, class schedule, etc on Hotmail calenders. Did I just ask a question thats already been answered? Sorry my blood sugar is kinda low, so my attention span is about that of a.......what was I talking about?

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It says it does it all, contacts, calendar, and mail...I was thoroughly impressed