Hotmail for Android - Finally a Good Way

jonaaaa

Reaction score
I've used this for a couple of months and it synced my 2 hotmail accounts perfectly. Now the last month one of the mailboxes still works but the other one keeps saying 'unable to open connection to server'. That way I can't check out my mails from that mailbox anymore on my androidphone. What can I do ? :(

robinscomputer

Reaction score
For the few of you who still use Hotmail as your main email (don't make fun of us!), and are running Froyo, Microsoft has activated Exchange ActiveSync for Hotmail starting today. Now we can actually have a synced up version of Hotmail on our phones, as opposed to the basic POP3 access we had before. It also syncs up your Windows Live Contacts and Calendar with the phone.

Here's the article: Hotmail now supports push email, calendar, and contacts with Exchange ActiveSync

The setup instructions on their website don't match, exactly, what we see in the default email application, so this is how it should look for setup:
  • First, you put in your email address and password, then you hit "manual setup" (not "next"), then choose "Exchange". From there, you'll see the following...
  • Domain\Username: Clear out and put in your full hotmail address
  • Password: if not pre-filled, obviously put in your hotmail password
  • Server: m.hotmail.com
  • Check "Use Secure Connection (SSL)"
  • Not sure yet on "accept all SSL certificates" - I've had it unchecked with no issues so far
*edit: For Droid 2 users, you have to add a "Corporate Sync" account, then do the settings above

Evidently, this won't work in Android 2.1. From their support forum regarding Android:
Android Support: Hotmail team will add Android to list of supported devices in the coming months after testing is completed.
  • Access from Android 2.1 is NOT supported due to known client issues on Android 2.1.
  • There are users successfully syncing from Hotmail via the default application or the Touchdown application on Android 2.2. (it's been working great for me so far)
Once you're setup, you can customize the settings as you see fit. So far, it's working great for me, and doesn't seem to be adding any battery drain (as we have occasionally seen on handsets using push). Hopefully this will come in handy for the other two of you out there still using Hotmail. :)

Update 1:
I've noticed three small issues that are worth mentioning (especially if you're used to the gmail app), but not a huge deal... (at least to me :))
1) It appears it does text only, no pictures. Maybe that's an issue with the stock email app? Don't know myself, as I've never used the stock email app, but I'm assuming it's Hotmail.
2) There doesn't appear to be a way to move messages into other folders from their current location.
3) As Dragoro pointed out, it only syncs back one month. This is not a big deal for me personally, but could very easily be for others.
* Sidenote - the mobile Hotmail website was revamped awhile back (wave 4) and has most (if not all) of the functionality of the actual website... just something to note for those that haven't checked it out in awhile.
Thanks! I use Windows LiveMail to manage all my email accounts. I use LiveMail's calendar because I can add any email I want to the calendar easily to remind me.

So, although I still cannot get my calendar from Windows LiveMail to show up on my cell phone, I can if I do it through my cell phone. I have to open the email in my phone and then I can "Save in Calendar" and set alarms, etc. there. Not perfect, but getting better.

If anyone knows of a way to get all the LiveMail stuff into my cell phone, please advise. Thanks again!

robinscomputer

Reaction score
Thanks! I use Windows LiveMail to manage all my email accounts. I use LiveMail's calendar because I can add any email I want to the calendar easily to remind me.

So, although I still cannot get my calendar from Windows LiveMail to show up on my cell phone, I can if I do it through my cell phone. I have to open the email in my phone and then I can "Save in Calendar" and set alarms, etc. there. Not perfect, but getting better.

If anyone knows of a way to get all the LiveMail stuff into my cell phone, please advise. Thanks again!

michaelchua

Reaction score
official hotmail android app

how do you get the hotmail android app? where do you get it? is it the official hotmail app from MS for droid ?

RockXP

Reaction score
how do you get the hotmail android app? where do you get it? is it the official hotmail app from MS for droid ?

I believe there is a hotmail app available but you can also connect to your hotmail w/o it. Just go to settings - accounts and look for exchange. Follow the instructions above and your good to go.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I setup my Live account using the given method, and it's working perfectly.

Thank you!

lisalisa13

Reaction score
Why in the world would anyone still use hotmail when you have to have a gmail account to use our phones anyway? Gmail is superior in every POSSIBLE way to hotmail, and if it's your address you're worried about, a set of simple rules in gmail/hotmail would allow you to use gmail and still send/receive with your hotmail address. Then you could just use the gmail app as well. No offense to any of you guys, but I just can't fathom using hotmail when gmail is available to you. It'd be like choosing to run the iPhone OS on an Android phone.

I still have an account because I still get emails from places before I got my gmail
Account, have no idea how to Transfer
it would actually be nice to only have one account
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums