Frequent phone charging.

Jayohennn

Reaction score
I tend to charge my phone quite frequently so I'm wondering if this is harmful to the battery life of the battery. Sorry if I'm not making much sense. Any help will be appreciated.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I sometime wonder this as well, I drive at work so its charging in the car dock most of the day...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I would also appreciate some insight into this.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

OP
J

Jayohennn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I feel less dumb asking this.

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
While it is probably best to cycle charge( run out and charge fully) I don't think a booster charge is gonna hurt anything. Now extensive use and charging at the same time may cause some thermal issues though.

* this is just my experience, I never had a problem with battery decay on my Droid x and it stayed on charge and on netflix *

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
J

Jayohennn

Reaction score
Thanks Adam.
This is my first smartphone so I've never really charged my phone a lot.

EvilGrin

Reaction score
The manual recommends charging at 25% remaining and unplugging at full

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

LBrooks

Reaction score
If it's like my notebook batteries (and I'm pretty sure it is) ~ charge before it gets below 20% ... if you're running intensive stuff on it that drains it quickly - unplug the battery and plug it into the wall (can you do that with this phone? I'm not sure) ... and don't don't don't leave it in teh car in Texas heat ;o) ... Charge it as often as you please, though - the school of thought that went along with drain it charge it drain it charge it, etc - kind of tough on 'em ...

OP
J

Jayohennn

Reaction score
@LBrooks
I'm not sure if I can independently charge the battery without it in the device; as of now I'm just charging it via the wall socket. I found charging it with a computer is slower.

LBrooks

Reaction score
@LBrooks
I'm not sure if I can independently charge the battery without it in the device; as of now I'm just charging it via the wall socket. I found charging it with a computer is slower.

I may have said that wrong ? I meant something like ~ if you're running processor intensive stuff - something that would drain the battery quickly - pop the battery out - plug in teh phone (I do this with my notebook sometimes - but I'm not sure you can do this with this phone - I was just sort of making an example really ) ...

OP
J

Jayohennn

Reaction score
@LBrooks
I apologize for misunderstanding. I'm only a teenager so I hope you can understand.

quentin-

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter. Technology today has gotten to the point where you're not going to irreversibly damage a smartphone battery by charging it unless it gets below a certain threshold...what is this, 1922?

Ideally you should let it run until it dies, charge it from 0-100, and repeat...but it really doesn't matter. Besides, these batteries will degrade after use no matter what you do. So best case scenario, you slow the degradation process down a little bit (13 months until the battery loses 10% capacity instead of 12 months). Don't let the worry of having to spend $30 on a new battery 1-2 months earlier than you would under optimal conditions force you into not charging when you have the opportunity to do so.

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter. Technology today has gotten to the point where you're not going to irreversibly damage a smartphone battery by charging it unless it gets below a certain threshold...what is this, 1922?

Ideally you should let it run until it dies, charge it from 0-100, and repeat...but it really doesn't matter. Besides, these batteries will degrade after use no matter what you do. So best case scenario, you slow the degradation process down a little bit (13 months until the battery loses 10% capacity instead of 12 months). Don't let the worry of having to spend $30 on a new battery 1-2 months earlier than you would under optimal conditions force you into not charging when you have the opportunity to do so.

Very good point

Sent from my DROID X2