Freeing up some RAM?

warped1987

Reaction score
Hi, my names Ricky, and I'm a Droidaholic...

hhhhiiiiii ricky

Anyways, I was wondering what I can do to get some of my RAM back.

(newb(ish) here)

Currently, in Applications>Running Services list at the bottom it says:

Other: 143MB in 14 ***Then a little yellow space*** Avail: 82MB+72MB in 14

Not sure what any of that means, it changes all the time, but I am wanting (hoping) to free up some space for the GB OTA that's coming out real soom, cuz I hear it's over 100MB of RAM and that's looking to set me back :icon_eek:

Any help?

Thanks

silverfang77

Reaction score
The best way to free up RAM is to uninstall apps you don't use.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Two word. Fast reboot!

It's an app from the market, trust me it's not how it sounds and it frees up tons of ram and its not a task killer

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8-Gingercomb Juiced

mattb16teg

Reaction score
Removing apps will only work for those that are currently running a process or monitoring something that will be using that RAM.
From my understanding of the Droid OS, it will terminate such processes as needed to keep a sufficient amount of RAM available.

Why do you think you need to free up memory? Is it just because the colorful display or are you seeing programs running slowly, etc?

Generally a reboot will clear out some running services and programs that you previously used.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try the app fast reboot (it reboots all apps and processes, without actually rebooting) just try it. I bet it speeds up your phone.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Well because when I am playing my games, Restaurant Story, Bakery Story, Pets Live, Farm Story, iMobsters, etc I switch from one to the next and my CPU hits 100% so quick, and they start running really slow, I have to go into my task manager and end everything I don't even know how many times a day.

I've removed a LOT of apps, I just kept the ones I use on a regular basis now. I don't know a lot about RAM and all that but I figured I haven't downloaded that much stuff, and I think my phone has 512MB RAM, so why does it show I have so few MB left?

Just confused here and would like my phone to run a little smoother when gaming, and want to make sure I have plenty of room for the GB OTA.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Or even just being on a website, like this, from my phone for about a minute I will get a CPU message, because all the damn crap in the background is loading up when I don't want it to. Things I don't want to freeze with Bloat Freezer, like gmail and stuff like that. I have my phone un-rooted right now to wait for the GB OTA

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
ok wow, that Fast Reboot app was amazing, lol. Downloaded it, put it on my home screen, didn't realize the second I opened it it did everything for me, lol, and it said it free'd up like over 100MB of RAM. Thank you dude, now to see how long before that RAM gets used back up, lol

Do you know how much RAM the D2G comes with?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it. I was gonna give up on ya because i posted twice for you to get it. I use it 4 to 5 times a day (not as much since liberty gb)
Not sure how much ram the d2g has. My d2 has 512 i believe.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
I use AutoKiller Memory manager (not a task killer). it allows you to tweak the internal memory processes and it operates on the fly. it several presets. On my old ally I would have to set it to ultimate to keep it fluent, but i usually run it on strict with my D2. Consistently runs with 80-120 MB free, but can be set to keep more memory avail. Though tying up memory is not actually a bad thing. In android it allows your programs to load quicker and more fluently.