Free Texting Over Data

yankee112792

Reaction score
My parents will allow me to get the Droid, but the monthly fees with data and texting come to too much. If I only pay for data, is there an app, such as Textfree for iphone, that will allow me to text message my contacts without charging me for a text? I have heard about Google voice, but I don't have access to that. Thanks for any tips.

vanwas

Reaction score
With Google Voice, you can text all you want for free. (Although I understand that you can't use it for some reason)

You could also use email ###-###-####@vtext.com (other carriers have similar e-mail addresses.

Just a couple ideas off the top of my head. Hope something might help.

Last edited:

vanwas

Reaction score
B
With Google Voice, you can text all you want for free.
can you elaborate? and if so will you?

Sure. Google Voice is a free service from Google at allows you to have one number that forwards to several numbers. It also allows you to send and receive SMS. It will forward those to your phone, or you can set it up to not forward any SMS. The Droid and its Google voice app allow you to select a contact, select message, then chose to send the message using either messaging or Google Voice.
When someone sends a text to your GV number, you get an update, but go to the GV app to read and reply.

The web interface is very similar to the Gmail interface.

www.Google.com/voice

Last edited:

vanwas

Reaction score
Sorry, I am out of invites :(

Here is a short video about the texting.

[video=youtube;zpgMJ7Hv6tk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpgMJ7Hv6tk&feature=youtube_gdata]YouTube - Google Voice - SMS[/video]

OP
Y

yankee112792

Reaction score
I'm not sure who sent me an invite, but that you SO much! Google voice is really cool with my regular cell phone. I'm just wondering if you are notified on your phone immediately after receiving the text or if you have to manually check it through the application.

vanwas

Reaction score
I'm not sure who sent me an invite, but that you SO much! Google voice is really cool with my regular cell phone. I'm just wondering if you are notified on your phone immediately after receiving the text or if you have to manually check it through the application.

You can manually refresh, or set it to do it automatically starting at five minute intervals. You will get a notification in your notification bar (this is all with the app on an android phone)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

You can manually refresh, or set it to do it automatically starting at five minute intervals. You will get a notification in your notification bar (this is all with the app on an android phone)
how do u set it to notify u i been looking for that setting and cant find it

vanwas

Reaction score

how do u set it to notify u i been looking for that setting and cant find it

In the app: Menu -> settings -> refresh and notification -> select inbox notification.

OP
Y

yankee112792

Reaction score
Do you think that it is possible that Verizon will find out about this free texting and do something to disable it?

soyboy

Reaction score
I just use email, but I don't send many "texts". I feel it is slightly more cumbersome that a normal SMS, but it works for me.

khelek

Reaction score
Do you think that it is possible that Verizon will find out about this free texting and do something to disable it?

I seriously doubt Verizon is unfamiliar with the SMS ability of Google Voice on Android phones. I remember there was a large uproar over the fact that Apple denied GV on the iPhone, so I imagine VZ isn't in any hurry to cripple what I consider one of the Android phone's selling points.

I *love* using GV for multiple reasons, and while I love doing SMS over it, it's not as complete as native VZ messaging; you can't send texts to multiple people at once, you can't use it for pics/vids, and there is no email -> SMS gateway available for it (eg/ie, someone can't send an email to <gvnumber>@voice.google.com and have it come through as a text message like sending email to <vznnumber>@vtext.com does). For this reason I ended up getting the 500 msgs + unl. m2m plan; I have pages that I have to receive for work that I'm unable to get through GV.

Brian

vanwas

Reaction score

The Verizon CEO was asked that question when they announced the alliance with Google, he said they would leave it alone. That was mid apple rejecting the app.