FREE Phones With Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plans

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlimted-Internet-Free-Phone1280.jpg

There was one more perk to Verizon's New unlimited plan that was announced yesterday. At the very worst time ever to buy a phone Verizon will actually give you a free aging flagship just before all the new flagships come out when you trade in your current device. The fine print states that you can get up to $792 worth of credit which will be applied over a 24 month period. Your trade in must also be in good working and cosmetic condition. This also requires you to port in your number from another carrier. Your trade in phone should also be fully paid off. You can grab any one of the following devices for free: iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, Google Pixel, Moto Z Droid, Moto Z Force Droid, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and the LG V20.

You must trade in one of the following device:

• Samsung Galaxy S6
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+
  • Samsung Galaxy S7
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
  • Samsung Note 5
  • LG G5
  • LG V20
  • HTC 10
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone 6S
  • iPhone 6S Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
Otherwise you can trade in one of the below devices and pay just $5 per month for your new phone:

• Apple iPhone SE
  • Samsung Note 4
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • LG G4
  • LG V10
  • HTC M9
via Verizon

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
o_O comes from the CEO who said, who needs unlimited data, and that they would not be caving to pressure like the rest of the market.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Gotta Love the way that they replaced the two year contract with the spaced out credit on a "free phone" whats even more ripe about this is that it is "last years phone" ...just more shenanigans from VZW.

5lurl4.jpg

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Gotta Love the way that they replaced the two year contract with the spaced out credit on a "free phone" whats even more ripe about this is that it is "last years phone" ...just more shenanigans from VZW.

5lurl4.jpg
Yea that's what I tell people. Bill credits over 2 year span is a contract, it's just presented differently to make it seem like such a good deal for the consumer.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
And I call Hooey to anybody that says this makes it more affordable for the average Joe.

You have to pay up to $792 up front and then they slowly give it back to you over 2 years.

Just how is this more affordable especially for a phone the VZW will most likely claim as EOL after less than a year and being abandoned on updates?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
And I call Hooey to anybody that says this makes it more affordable for the average Joe.

You have to pay up to $792 up front and then they slowly give it back to you over 2 years.

Just how is this more affordable especially for a phone the VZW will most likely claim as EOL after less than a year and being abandoned on updates?
The only money you pay 'up front' is the local sales tax on the full retail cost of the phone. On your first 2 bills, you will pay the full monthly installment of the phone, and on the third bill you will have a credit for the first two payments and the third. Going forward, you will have a credit as well. So you are never actually paying the phone up front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
The only money you pay 'up front' is the local sales tax on the full retail cost of the phone. On your first 2 bills, you will pay the full monthly installment of the phone, and on the third bill you will have a credit for the first two payments and the third. Going forward, you will have a credit as well. So you are never actually paying the phone up front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sorry but what am I misunderstanding about the first condition I have highlighted with the ad ?

At some point you will incur a charge on your credit for that amount.

and as far as people staying with the carrier ... sorry they do not qualify as per the first statement as well. You have to be switching from another carrier.

So much for loyal customers, eh?

x0waoi.jpg

Last edited:

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yeah, most of the time you have to switch carriers to get the new deal or program..I only get good reception with Verizon so I'm sticking with them!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sorry but what am I misunderstanding about the first condition I have highlighted with the ad ?

and as far as people staying with the carrier ... sorry they do not qualify as per the first statement as well. You have to be switching from another carrier.

So much for loyal customers, eh?

x0waoi.jpg

That particular ad is specific for encouraging customers to switch to Verizon. If you are already a Verizon customer, you get the same Verizon UDP rates but will not be required to purchase a new phone. As a Verizon customer, I get the promo UPD offer every time I open my Verizon app.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
That particular ad is specific for encouraging customers to switch to Verizon. If you are already a Verizon customer, you get the same Verizon UDP rates but will not be required to purchase a new phone. As a Verizon customer, I get the promo UPD offer every time I open my Verizon app.

I don't have issues with the UDP plan, What I have issues with is VZW stating that they are giving you a "free" phone that you have to incur up to a $792 charge before they slowly give it back to you over a 24 month period. So you are actually being charged full price for 'last years phone" they are trying to clear off the shelves and then get stuck waiting for your "rebate".

And lets not forget if you leave Verizon during that 24 months you no longer get any credits back from that initial payment.

So instead of a contract to lock you in for 2 years they take your money up front and hold it hostage for 2 years to make sure it is going to cost you extra money should you decide to stop using verizon.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score

How much extra do you pay/month for 2 lines as a current Verizon customer, Tismydroid?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
How much extra do you pay/month for 2 lines as a current Verizon customer, Tismydroid?

I have four lines and pay $150.20 for 24gb shared data (16gb for the plan plus a bonus 8gb). Without my employee discount, I would pay $170.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I don't have issues with the UDP plan, What I have issues with is VZW stating that they are giving you a "free" phone that you have to incur up to a $792 charge before they slowly give it back to you over a 24 month period. So you are actually being charged full price for 'last years phone" they are trying to clear off the shelves and then get stuck waiting for your "rebate".

And lets not forget if you leave Verizon during that 24 months you no longer get any credits back from that initial payment.

So instead of a contract to lock you in for 2 years they take your money up front and hold it hostage for 2 years to make sure it is going to cost you extra money should you decide to stop using verizon.

From what I read, it is free, aside from the phone you have to trade in. You make the initial first couple of payments and then it is credited back. As Jackie stated in post #7. Yes, you have to pay the $25 or whatever and then you will receive a credit of $25 for that month. The thing that is not free is having to turn in your old phone...from that list, they are not old.